Players Salary

Rugby red

First Team
So Pogba, reportedly, wants£500,000 a week to stay at Man UTD.
I don't care how good he is there can be no justification for this.
How can any business,(that is what it has become), sustain those kind of salaries.

And where does that leave the likes of us trying to attract decent players. The sooner the super rich bugger off into their own league the better or does that send the rest of us down the pan. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/47820257

“So Pogba, reportedly, wants £500,000 a week to stay at Man UTD.
I don't care how good he THINKS HE is there can be no justification for this.
How can any business,(that is what it has become), sustain those kind of salaries”.

Apologies Rugby Red, I just had to amend that for you ....... ;)

On the subject of Man U....I watched the Wolves game in my local on Tuesday.

Within seconds of Wolves winner..the o.g.....this young chap smashed his fist into a table and paced around the bar shouting _ " FFS..I said we shoulda got Zin ! " ... Bizarre and funny at the time......but on reflection it shouldnt have been a surprise knowing the Psyche attached to that club!

It’s the way it’s heading. I don’t know what the likes of Ronaldo is on per week anymore but if Pogba doesn’t get 500k per week it’ll only be a matter of time until someone does

I'd like to see us be brave and be the first PL club to have a modest fixed player wage just with mahoosive win bonuses :utc:

It would be interesting to see whether this would improve the consistency of our performances, since currently we seem to be performing below our capabilities far too often.

Of course it will never happen but it would be interesting to see what the result of such a pay structure would be.....

Messi blows £500k out the water, just shy of €1.5m if memory serves. His salary alone is a huge percentage of Barcelona's revenue. I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 20%.

Barcelona got the image rights with that and there is also a massive bonus at the end of his contract if he doesn't leave during the contract. €60m I think it was.

I honestly don't see what difference it makes how much they get paid. Does it affect fans in any way? Our tickets prices haven't gone up at the same rate as the players wages.

They're at the elite end of their profession, which encompasses both sport and entertainment. Does anyone care about how much money actors get?

Worse than that is executive pay. They effectively give each other pay rises unrelated to performance. Is running a large company more difficult today than it was 50 years ago? Probably not yet compare the ratio of workers pay to executive pay now to 1968 and you'll see it's exponentially different.

At least footballers can't blag it - if they are not good enough they won't do very well.

I'd like to see us be brave and be the first PL club to have a modest fixed player wage just with mahoosive win bonuses :utc:

It would be interesting to see whether this would improve the consistency of our performances, since currently we seem to be performing below our capabilities far too often.

Of course it will never happen but it would be interesting to see what the result of such a pay structure would be.....
Hmmmmm......after today’s performance I think this is the way to go !
Too comfortable, too complacent, no concept of how important the performance of the team is to the fans. Something needs to change. It seems as though after three and a half seasons we have finally been infected with Premier League -itis.

Back in my day we would get goosebumps just looking at our numbered shirts hanging in the changing room, it was like donning a suit of chain mail ready for battle. Then we would run out onto pitch ,wave and see the lads cheering us on, same lads who we were working with at the factory all week . We were so excited and honoured to be given the opportunity to represent the club and town we would donate our football wages to a local charity. Now it's ,I got a Bentley, Jaguar or Maserati outside the ground and golden bracelets around me neck and rings on me fingers............all we had was an old bike and the added luxury of 3 speeds ,care of Sturmey Archer....... Oh well that's progress as they say !

Back in my day we would get goosebumps just looking at our numbered shirts hanging in the changing room, it was like donning a suit of chain mail ready for battle. Then we would run out onto pitch ,wave and see the lads cheering us on, same lads who we were working with at the factory all week . We were so excited and honoured to be given the opportunity to represent the club and town we would donate our football wages to a local charity. Now it's ,I got a Bentley, Jaguar or Maserati outside the ground and golden bracelets around me neck and rings on me fingers............all we had was an old bike and the added luxury of 3 speeds ,care of Sturmey Archer....... Oh well that's progress as they say !
I can remember a few years back looking up as Stoke, WBA and Swansea used to get to 40 points and then start their annual slide down the premier league. I used to think what is the point of that sort of existence? It looks like we have now become part of that club. Where are those clubs now?

I think the result would be many players not wanting to sign for us unless they have no other reasonable options. Why would they when they can get a much better salary elsewhere?

Meanwhile, whenever we lose a couple of games players outside the team would be beating down EH's door demanding to be picked as it's affecting their salary and so defeats would cause serious squad unrest.

I think the result would be many players not wanting to sign for us unless they have no other reasonable options. Why would they when they can get a much better salary elsewhere?

Meanwhile, whenever we lose a couple of games players outside the team would be beating down EH's door demanding to be picked as it's affecting their salary and so defeats would cause serious squad unrest.
Except if they actually made an effort and won the games they should, they could actually end up earning more than they do now. They’re not all Messi, are they ? Win bonuses would have to apply to the squad as a whole obviously otherwise you’d have players wanting the bonuses divvied up according to minutes played or some such nonsense.
Like I said, it will never happen but we are now faced with the problem of motivating players with little to play for and for whom the honour of playing for the club is obviously no longer enough. The malaise of comfortable PL survival finally seems to have infected our players.

I think the pay thing is an interesting debate.

My hypothesis is that actually the bonus structure won't positively effect performance. If the team is winning they are getting paid more than most of the league and will stay, if they are losing they will look to jump ship to similar sized club and get paid a higher base wage.

When you're earning tens of thousands a week, I don't think you'll miss the win bonus enough to bust a gut over it.

I think the pay thing is an interesting debate.

My hypothesis is that actually the bonus structure won't positively effect performance. If the team is winning they are getting paid more than most of the league and will stay, if they are losing they will look to jump ship to similar sized club and get paid a higher base wage.

When you're earning tens of thousands a week, I don't think you'll miss the win bonus enough to bust a gut over it.
True. I think they are all comfortable enough that it would be hard to motivate them with money now. That is the problem to be solved. How do you motivate these young men who have all they will ever need and more to perform beyond the bare minimum required to keep the gravy train a’ rolling. The only chance I can see is to get them onboard with “the project” or somehow make them value the fact that they get to wear the shirt. I always thought this would be Eddie’s biggest challenge should he ever move to a top six club, I never imagined he’d face this challenge at AFCB but it appears that the time has now come. I bet he’s pulling his hair out right now, trying to figure out how to get our team spirit back.

;