Playing from the back and the new law

Tinpot Club

Star Player
On Sky last night they criticised Spurs for playing from the back because they were set up too narrow. The obvious conclusion that it’s much harder to press a back line if they stretch the width of the pitch.

I can remember in previous seasons, the centre backs would go to the sidelines, the full backs push up the pitch and a midfielder would drop in between.

With this new rule where defenders can receive the ball inside the box, it’s creating a much narrower set up when playing out. It also means possession is lost closer to goal. We fell victim to this today but other teams are being caught out more this season too.

I like this new law but teams need to apply common sense. If a quick, safe ball is on then use it. But you don’t have to. You can still play out with players outside the box. And if it’s clearly not on, it’s OK to go long too.

As you say, I have seen lots of teams make a mess of this new law this season, its not just us. I am still really annoyed at Franno getting it SO wrong for their first goal today though.....an easy ball wide to Harry was on....by turning back again, he not only put Travers in trouble but even if he'd managed to clear the ball, that is just a hopeful boot upfield, instant of Harry getting the pass to his feet.

I am not having a go at Travers but Ramsdale is much more inclined to take matters into his own hands and play the ball long if he thinks that the short stuff is getting us into trouble.

What’s the point of playing out from the back with a back 3 when Watford has 4 men on them

This was the key for me. Open your eyes and see what's in front of you. If there are 4 opposition attackers pressed high then go long and gamble on winning the ball up the pitch. It's a numbers game but FFS make your own luck.

I am not having a go at Travers but Ramsdale is much more inclined to take matters into his own hands and play the ball long if he thinks that the short stuff is getting us into trouble.

He was probably just listening to the gaffer to make a positive impression. Clearly they'd had instructions to keep playing from the back.

...I don’t have a problem with playing out from the back IF you have players capable of doing it with ability and the required ball control...clearly that is not the case with Cook,Francis,Mepham and Simpson...only Ake is really comfortable on the ball. Today with a rookie GK it was unforgivable that Francis placed him under pressure or that Howe didn’t relay that tactically we may have needed to change without our first choice keeper..

I’d actually say that Mepham is ok at playing the ball out. Over recent weeks he’s really impressed me to the point of thinking we’d be ‘ok’ if we lost Ake (obviously I’d rather Ake tho).

Yes it was Luton, but against them both Mepham and Simpson moved them ball on ‘quick’ and forward... to either the fullbacks or Surman.

I’m starting to think that Ake and Cook, whilst obviously our 2 first choices, are potentially part of the ‘slow predictable play’ problem... They hold on to the ball too much, and don’t trust the first ball into the CM’s feet. This was so much the case today (for Cook and Franno), resulting in us just endlessly going sideways to nothing...

;