PLEASE attack in the last 10 minutes….

CherriesFan

New Signing
What’s going on? Why are we losing/drawing/fighting too many matches in the last 10 minutes? Are we too tired? Are we too interested in protecting the lead? Is it Parkerball? Whatever it is, it needs to change. I dread the end of the match because it’s often the needless same…. get the bloody ball up the other end of the pitch! Haven’t counted how many points we’ve lost from winning positions, but it can’t be good.

UTCIAD

What’s going on? Why are we losing/drawing/fighting too many matches in the last 10 minutes? Are we too tired? Are we too interested in protecting the lead? Is it Parkerball? Whatever it is, it needs to change. I dread the end of the match because it’s often the needless same…. get the bloody ball up the other end of the pitch! Haven’t counted how many points we’ve lost from winning positions, but it can’t be good.

UTCIAD
Agreed, we may be 2nd and 8 points clear of 3rd but with more conviction it could easily be 15 or more

Away at Fulham, a set piece move within 10 seconds of the first half and we take the lead.

Defensive midfielder Pearson, on for Marcondes.

I dont think full on attack was the answer, but when we set up to protect a lead we rarely succeed.

The set up to defend a lead approach is fine if you're two up, but not one.

To just go full on attack yesterday in the last 10 as you suggest, we would have lost the game.

Seem to remember plenty of people on here defending this approach when we were winning games earlier in the season despite the fact that it's success was largely down to opposition strikers missing absolute sitters.....we were not defending leads any better then than we are now.

Fulham absolutely bombarded us, heroic defending and without that we could have conceded a lot more and a lot earlier than we did, had we played anymore freely we would have got caught out. Sensible subs, sensible game plan, very decent point.

Fulham absolutely bombarded us, heroic defending and without that we could have conceded a lot more and a lot earlier than we did, had we played anymore freely we would have got caught out. Sensible subs, sensible game plan, very decent point.

Can’t believe teams try and win games in the last few minutes. What’s up with them? Why don’t they just let us have the points?

First Coventry? Sure one of the in form sides in the division and we only had ten men, but that’s just darn well mean.

Now Fulham, top of the league, at home against a former manager. Why don’t they just concede defeat despite pinning us back for the majority of the game?

We had actually been doing this better than at the beginning of the season in all honesty, during the latter part of our run we saw out leads quite comfortably. You have to take each game in context I think. Vs Cov we were down to ten and Fulham are the best team in the league, in both we were ravaged by injuries and the players were clearly running in empty by the end. Need to go on another run now.

I'm not sure we have enough in the tank at the moment to do any more than we did last night.

The tempo from Fulham was high and we are without some of our quickest and most physical players who could match / raise that. And had a few players on the pitch who were not fully fit.

Hopefully back at DC later in the season we can carry a bit more impetus.

As other have said, yesterday it would probably have lost us the game, Fulham are a very good side and were roasting us for pace at times. It was the right decision to defend and it almost worked.

What we could do better is look after the ball when we do get it in those closing stages. Dom does that superbly but others too casual (e.g. Lewis against Cov). If we look a bit more dangerous on the counter, teams won't be able to push the entire back 4 up the pitch.

Completely incorrect to say we were hanging onto leads earlier this season but I guess when you hate Scott Parker you’ll say anything.

…sometimes the opposition dictates how we end games…all I know is that Anthony had the ball in their half and got dispossessed too easily which led to the Fulham attack and consequent free kick that they scored from…fine margins in football if we had hung on to the lead and won then SP would be praised for his tactics…overall we are in a great position to continue the season

Fulham was different I would say. They are far and away the best team we have played with an atmosphere that rarely dipped, from the tv that's how it seemed.

I didn't think Marcondes was having a very good game. Seemed hesitant at times. Pearson is very firm and decisive, might even say 'no nonsense'.

Mepham didn't come on until the 88th minute and that seemed the right thing to do.

There have been times when we have sat back too far, too early but last night wasn't one of them.

Can’t believe teams try and win games in the last few minutes. What’s up with them? Why don’t they just let us have the points?

First Coventry? Sure one of the in form sides in the division and we only had ten men, but that’s just darn well mean.

Now Fulham, top of the league, at home against a former manager. Why don’t they just concede defeat despite pinning us back for the majority of the game?
Yes how dare they try and win games in the last 10 minutes!......why doesn't everyone just do what we do.
The annoying thing is their back 4 were there to be got at....an attacking sub like Lowe would have exploited that space they were leaving before they scored...but no let's just try and hang on again.

Am inclined to agree with you. Last night, though, they did try to break a bit. I think tired legs were an issue too and Fulham just bombarding us. In general, I feel the same as you but not so much about last night.

Yes how dare they try and win games in the last 10 minutes!......why doesn't everyone just do what we do.
The annoying thing is their back 4 were there to be got at....an attacking sub like Lowe would have exploited that space they were leaving before they scored...but no let's just try and hang on again.

Come off if, you’d be the first person to complain at us being 1-0 up at 80 mins and losing 2-1 with a 95th minute winner from there. You cannot criticise last nights game plan and subs and if you do you are in the very very small minority.

Come off if, you’d be the first person to complain at us being 1-0 up at 80 mins and losing 2-1 with a 95th minute winner from there. You cannot criticise last nights game plan and subs and if you do you are in the very very small minority.

There’s a debate to be had over a possible sub. You keep Solanke on and with his quick feet he can hold the ball up a bit better and wind the clock down. Or put on Lowe and give us an outlet of pace, with a more hit and hope option. The first is better at playing the percentages of trying to keep the ball, the second might see them sit back a bit deeper to counter the the threat of Lowe’s pace.

Still can’t work out why we don’t use all the sub, bring on lowe so we can play the ball over the top and give are defenders times to push up

I don’t have a problem with the approach. Sometimes it would be nice to see us hold on to the ball a bit better in the last 15 minutes the times we do go into ultra defensive mode. I’m not saying it’s easy when you have most of your team squashed to with 25 yds of your goal defending. Just seems to concede an awful lot of possession.

;