Police using facial recognition cameras

northstandmark

UTC Legend
Not uncommon to see Police officers pointing cameras on us in away ends around the country (trying badly to hide doing so). AFAIK in an effort to gather evidence in the event that something kicks off. Obviously being us, it never does, but I suppose they use the same procedure for every match.

Using cameras in conjunction with facial recognition software would seem to be a step further on though:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50142506

we surrender most of our lives by having mobile communication and to social media etc...facial recognition is just more use of technology to track us all!...personally if you don't do anything illegal or wrong then why worry?

Big brother and all that...also we are all ab it safer because of it too !

we surrender most of our lives by having mobile communication and to social media etc...facial recognition is just more use of technology to track us all!...personally if you don't do anything illegal or wrong then why worry?

Because it can be used even if you dont do anything wrong, thats why.

Yes.

But what happens if, in the future, we get a government that uses that information for undemocratic purposes.

Yes.

But what happens if, in the future, we get a government that uses that information for undemocratic purposes.
...well we can't control that anymore than we can stop some power crazed nutter from pressing the nuclear button? We are ALL slaves to governments and higher powers I guess?

It's when a government decide to detain those they consider to be a risk. You know, if public disorder breaks out. That's when the technology will be abused or used depending which side of fascism you're on.

If in 1984 the government had ordered every man woman and child to carry a device so they could be located day and night and almost all communications monitored remotely then everyone would have called it an Orwellian nightmare.

Now we can't live without it and it is our choice.

Now that is clever.

Ps if anyone is monitoring this message my name is Rob Trent and I am a fully paid up member of the Conservative Party.

Facial recognition, Dna, I have no problem with any of that.

The problem with this attitude is it completely disregards the possibility of deep faking people into videos, plus when that data ends up in private companies and you end up with ads targetted at you when you're stood at a bus stop or the back of a taxi. There are tons of reasons that it's short sighted to have that attitude towards full censorship.

Nothing surprises me about that. They won't be happy until everyone is on their database.
Thanks for that TrentR462cxh. Your feedback has been registered. Here at GCHQ our customer promise is make everyone happy, like us. Sorry you feel this way, rest assured it has been passed on to the relevant people. When is a good time to call?

;