Politics at Glasto

JIMNNINA - 27/6/2017 11:41

If Mrs May had got her 100 seat majority would this level of investment have been approved ?

Interesting what happens at the end of two years, better plant another money tree now.

Will there be room with all the money trees Labour will need to plant from the plans in their manifesto?

billythekid - 27/6/2017 19:09

Will there be room with all the money trees Labour will need to plant from the plans in their manifesto?

Costed Billy.

Unlike the Tories uncosted manifesto and massive bung to the DUP.

Labour don't need money trees, plenty of sources of direct taxation plus £1BN saving from not needing to bribe the DUP.
Best not to believe all that is printed in the Tory centric media.

JIMNNINA - 27/6/2017 19:30

Labour don't need money trees, plenty of sources of direct taxation plus £1BN saving from not needing to bribe the DUP.
Best not to believe all that is printed in the Tory centric media.

Surely this is b*llocks. Labour would have spent the £1bn and more.

That's as maybe, I'm waiting with baited breath for an independant body to confirm that the 1 billion going to the DUP isn't just a massive bung to keep May in a job and the Tories in power. :grin:

northstandmark - 27/6/2017 20:03

Ken Baileys Ghost - 27/6/2017 19:28

billythekid - 27/6/2017 19:09

Costed Billy.

Said no independent body Ken. :what?!:

"No deal is better than a bad deal " could be added to that : )

paul49 - 26/6/2017 23:54

AFCB_REPUBLICAN - 26/6/2017 22:38

Look at all the bloated baby boomer pensioners spitting out their free NHS dentures. Is it any wonder that their generation is so despised?

I thought dentures were a thing of the past. Still I have most of my teeth.

You'll be old one day but will you be wiser? I wonder where my taxes from 50 years at work have gone?

Your generation never knew hard work. You lived through full employment,free education, cheap housing, a cradle to grave welfare state then retired early on a generous pension. Now you have temerity to turnd around to the younger generation and tell them that the country can no longer afford the cosseted existence that you have enjoyed?

AFCB_REPUBLICAN - 27/6/2017 21:37

paul49 - 26/6/2017 23:54

AFCB_REPUBLICAN - 26/6/2017 22:38

Look at all the bloated baby boomer pensioners spitting out their free NHS dentures. Is it any wonder that their generation is so despised?

I thought dentures were a thing of the past. Still I have most of my teeth.

You'll be old one day but will you be wiser? I wonder where my taxes from 50 years at work have gone?

Your generation never knew hard work. You lived through full employment,free education, cheap housing, a cradle to grave welfare state then retired early on a generous pension. Now you have temerity to turnd around to the younger generation and tell them that the country can no longer afford the cosseted existence that you have enjoyed?

Which of those on your list have you as a fifty something not also received Republicscum ?

In all seriousness though .Read an article many years ago predicting that at around this period politics would very much become more about age ,young versus old on account of the massive voting block the aging boomers are going to be ,than about class .

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/13/how-britain-voted-2017-general-election/

Spot on Wallmth. People obviously look after themselves but personally I think it's an extremely poor show that pensioner's incomes are protected ahead of public sector workers earnings. The narrative is always about benefits scroungers but one look at the stats shows how insignificant benefits fraud is when compared to the tiniest fraction of a percent of the pension budget. Then there's the tricky subject of adult social care - definitely not an easy one to tackle but older folk have apparently soundly rejected the idea that it should be paid for out of their wealth. Oh well I guess Johnny taxpayer will pick the tab up for that too - and btw you'll be working ten years longer into the bargain.

At least two threads on Glastonbury will be missing on here next year if reports are true and nothing changes.

Another known name at Glastonbury.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/27/jon-snow-accused-shouting-four-letter-anti-tory-remark-glastonbury/

If a Sky or other Murdoch broadcaster did the same thing about another party we'd never heard the end of it.

SlowDownDerek - 27/6/2017 22:47

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/13/how-britain-voted-2017-general-election/

Spot on Wallmth. People obviously look after themselves but personally I think it's an extremely poor show that pensioner's incomes are protected ahead of public sector workers earnings. The narrative is always about benefits scroungers but one look at the stats shows how insignificant benefits fraud is when compared to the tiniest fraction of a percent of the pension budget. Then there's the tricky subject of adult social care - definitely not an easy one to tackle but older folk have apparently soundly rejected the idea that it should be paid for out of their wealth. Oh well I guess Johnny taxpayer will pick the tab up for that too - and btw you'll be working ten years longer into the bargain.

TBF, given the march of technology and automation, and the entire pension system's black hole, I suspect the idea of working until 65 odd before retirement and drawing a pension will be entirely different in ~ 30 years time. I save a little in a pension fund each month because it feels like the right thing to do, but I've no idea and little confidence if I'll get to enjoy the kind of retirement my grandparents have/had over the last 25 years. And hopefully my parents will enjoy shortly.

I doubt we can continue to think and plan in the current employment/retirement/pension mindset for much longer.

an extremely poor show for the many, vulgar excess for the few,

The combined wealth of the top 500 individuals was £580.4 billion, which is more than the £575.6 billion total of all 1,000 richest people last year.
The total wealth of the top 1,000 people on the list has increased by 14 per cent since last year, according to the Rich List. It has risen by £83 billion to £658 billion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/06/britain-has-billionaires-ever-2017-rich-list-reveals/

No need for a money tree, add in tax evasion and there is a whole forest available to ukplc.

;