Positives and negatives from tonight

Tinpot Club - 21/12/2017 10:23

The main negative was the right side of our defence. Simpson and Fraser seemed far more solid on the left compared to our two established right sided defenders Smith and Francis.

The positive is that we showed we can be an attacking force playing with a back 3. I hope Eddie took note and will use this system against the rest of the league and not just the top 6

The right side has been a concern for a long time and will continue to be with the current personnel.

northstandmark - 21/12/2017 10:42

The formation has to be the main take away from last night. I hope see more of it.
Simpson has to have edged closer to league contention.
Ibe and Mousset seemed bright and creative (second half) even if both missed chances, they showed a spark we have lacked at times. Ibe NEEDS to be further forward than we've used him this season in a 4-4-2. Last night showed what he can do if even license.
Gosling looked far more involved than any other performance this season.

Plenty for Howe to think about. Just don't revert back to 4-4-2 with the same players please Eddie.

Your point re Ibe was reinforced when he came on vs brighton and led to our comeback from a more central position. Can use his undoubted skills more effectively in this role. Good to see him at city in this role given striking injuries.

For me there were lots of positives from the 2nd half performance. Aggression, pace, closing down, good quick passing. It was like the AFCB we have been used to. The old Harry Arter was back, the midfield 3 worked with Gosling and Surman working their socks off, Fraser and Ibe gave the Chelsea defence no time on the ball, Moussett put in a good shift.
Fully deserved to take the game into ET and it was a shame one lapse spoiled it all.
I took great heart from yesterday, completely different to the Liverpool game. Left the ground feeling that I had my old team back.

...that is a big positive that I hope we can take forward over the next few months matches which will probably define our season...

The one major criticism I have had this season is that we are more lethargic, and ponderous on the ball, our build up play is slow and predictable so teams are picking us off.

...I prefer the more pressing approach and putting in the yards to close down the better players that we encounter..an on form Arter and Steve Cook are vital for that purpose...

redharry - 21/12/2017 11:52

For me there were lots of positives from the 2nd half performance. Aggression, pace, closing down, good quick passing. It was like the AFCB we have been used to. The old Harry Arter was back, the midfield 3 worked with Gosling and Surman working their socks off, Fraser and Ibe gave the Chelsea defence no time on the ball, Moussett put in a good shift.
Fully deserved to take the game into ET and it was a shame one lapse spoiled it all.
I took great heart from yesterday, completely different to the Liverpool game. Left the ground feeling that I had my old team back.

Me too Red. Felt similar 7 days before re Man Utd to be fair. I do think the Liverpool defeat was a bit of an outlier not seen since the early matches of the season when we looked so lifeless but partly this was due to Liverpool’s desire and class. As others have said, arter and gosling doing a real shift when earlier in the season they looked pale shadows of former selves. We may still get tonked at city given how they are playing of course but we need to play with this intensity. A few people commented it was only against a weakened Chelsea side but that side was still strong and we bossed them second half.

;