Positives and negatives v Palace

This is the weird thing I can't get my head around.

GON had a long playing career as a pro. He's been doing coaching a while now. I'm sure if we were to have a talk it would become apparent in 30 seconds he has more football knowledge in his little finger than I do in total. Yet, how can something that is so glaringly obvious to me and to every team we play against still be so bad? Especially as they had a nice long break tailor made to reset things and fix the problems.

Why would he have more football knowledge than you? Because he played? I was attending Bournemouth games before he was born... does him playing at a higher level than us mean he actually knows more than you or me?

For what it’s worth I’d say Kelly was by the end of the game putting in an almost avant garde performance of bad defending. One of the worst performances I’ve ever seen; you know it’s bad when you feel awkward for a player.
So obvious that he should've played Stephens the last 2 games and subbed Kelly on for 10/15 minutes to break him in gently.

Wow, well just how bad was that ! I honestly can't think of anything positive to say about that whole debacle from our woeful performance, the oppositions gamesmanship antics and the dreadful officiating from Andre Marriner and the lady lines'man'. The whole thing was truly dreadful. How ironic that before kick off we all applauded the world's greatest footballer in Pele and then watched a total destruction of the beautiful game from all involved.
Let's start with GON. His desperation to shoehorn Billing into the team leaves us a player down and no threat from the wing or behind Moore. Then to play Anthony out of position on the right where his best performances come from linking with JZ on the left. Then moving the totally left footed Senesi to right centre back to bring in Kelly who is also totally left footed into Senesi's preferred position has totally regressed our back line. Also by now he should have realised that playing both Moore and Solanke together does not work. The slow, ponderous, sideways backwards passing through Kelly , Senesi and Travers set the tone for the game. Oh, for an Eddie Howe ' up and at them from the whistle' start to a game. We can dream, I guess.
Unfortunately Travers is doing his stock a world of harm. The floated in corner for the first goal was in the air for an age but Travers stayed rooted to his line and Ayee had a unchallenged free header. The second goal was a shocker, having already tried that routine we should have been alert to the fact that they would try it again. So we leave them totally unmarked on the edge of the box, the shot travelled through a melee of players and Travers was flatfooted in reacting.
GON's final tactic was to throw everyone and anyone on in desperation but the game was lost well before that. I'm still not sure what the signing of Rothwell adds to the team, certainly ahead of Pearson's battling qualities. Kelly needs to stay for extra passing practice and hopefully Mepham will feel well enough for Tuesday. There are those on here who don't think a captain should be a leader or a shouter'. Lucky we've got Kelly then.
Shot shy Solanke did his usual headless chicken act and popped up on the left wing and the right wing. Anywhere but supporting Moore. On the rare occasion that there was a sniff of opportunity his lack of pace allowed their keeper to get to a long ball before him and on a foraging run in the first half he was brushed off the ball by one of their defenders like dandruff brushed off a jacket collar . His one big chance came and went when 6 yds out he managed to shoot exactly where a keeper would want the ball, high and straight at him instead of slamming it low and into a corner. He's not a striker and his goalless contribution continues yet he remains undroppable. I'd have Ayew over Solanke everyday of the week. GON needs to stick with one or the other, put Billing back in his favoured 10 position, get JA playing on the left and Dembele on the right.
Today was always going to be tough against an underrated Palace side who have good players and our performance was always going to be crucial. Well we well and truly fcuked that up ! A totally Crappy New Year from the lads.
The only positive for me was Smithy who had Zaha pretty much in his pocket.

Happy new year everyone !!

For what it’s worth I’d say Kelly was by the end of the game putting in an almost avant garde performance of bad defending. One of the worst performances I’ve ever seen; you know it’s bad when you feel awkward for a player.
Yeah, but he ain't no Wout Faes ..........

This is the best thing you’ve ever posted. You can’t even begin to try to take any kind of positives out of that. We didn’t lose today because the opposition were better, we lost, pure and simply, because they were a vaguely competent opponent.

Had we just lined up with a basic shape and system, playing players in their actual positions, then we could have easily gotten a result. Hell, even then, if we were even remotely able to defend a set piece we still could have gotten a result.

He can throw as much money as he likes at it, we have a novice who is totally out of his depth at the wheel. It’s plain for all to see.

Well done ‘Rich and Neil.’ Well done. Earned your money yet again.

you've started your own thread so why don't you stick to that and leave this one to the adults?

Why would he have more football knowledge than you? Because he played? I was attending Bournemouth games before he was born... does him playing at a higher level than us mean he actually knows more than you or me?

Well yes. He's played under a series of managers that have succeeded in the professional game. He's seen first hand things that have worked and not worked. And when I say first hand, I don't mean from the stands. Because when it hasn't worked he knew what it was they were trying to achieve. When it has worked he knows if that is what they were aiming at or if they just got lucky. He's been exposed to so much more. And he clearly had the ability to absorb tactical lessons to have the career he had.

I'm a guy with a beer and a keyboard.

So yes. His career means he should have a hell of a lot more knowledge than us.

The point is though, this is so glaring I reckon even Foley will be asking him after the match why we can't defend corners.

It was just like the long anticipated return after Covid. A total let down, can’t think of a single positive except I managed to keep dry and my pie was boiling hot for once.

Something went horribly wrong and it needs fixing, quick.

Well yes. He's played under a series of managers that have succeeded in the professional game. He's seen first hand things that have worked and not worked. And when I say first hand, I don't mean from the stands. Because when it hasn't worked he knew what it was they were trying to achieve. When it has worked he knows if that is what they were aiming at or if they just got lucky. He's been exposed to so much more. And he clearly had the ability to absorb tactical lessons to have the career he had.

I'm a guy with a beer and a keyboard.

So yes. His career means he should have a hell of a lot more knowledge than us.

The point is though, this is so glaring I reckon even Foley will be asking him after the match why we can't defend corners.

Good job no one told Mourinho he didn't play to a high enough level...

Oh come on, you know that makes no sense surely?

Kirsikka has explained it much better than I could but I'd also add that O'Neil has spent way more time watching and playing professional football than you have despite you starting before he was born. You would need to watch a lot more games to catch up with his level of experience and that's discounting the lived experience of being a professional footballer.

Good job no one told Mourinho he didn't play to a high enough level...

He did play professionally at a low level but, more importantly, he spent years watching Bobby Robson and others work first hand. I suspect that was a better school than West Moors playing fields on a Sunday.

Of course it does .Do you have your coaching badges or just a Blue Peter badge.

I have coaching badges...not the same level obviously. But you cannot convince me a footballer will always make a better manager than someone who didn't play to the top level. The two jobs are completely different.

Everyone moaning about GON should just keep quiet then since he knows better than us?

He did play professionally at a low level but, more importantly, he spent years watching Bobby Robson and others work first hand. I suspect that was a better school than West Moors playing fields on a Sunday.

Oh...that's weird, I thought you were suggesting that GON must be better than him? You guys really need to make your mind up...maybe list the levels a footballer should play at before they can be accepted as understanding football.

Oh...that's weird, I thought you were suggesting that GON must be better than him? You guys really need to make your mind up...maybe list the levels a footballer should play at before they can be accepted as understanding football.

Eh? I compared my knowledge of football which is based on being a spectator to GON's and you've somehow extrapolated that to mean I think GON is better than Mourinho. Good luck with that hill. You'll die there alone.

Eh? I compared my knowledge of football which is based on being a spectartor to GON's and you've somehow extrapolated that to mean I think GON is better than Mourinho. Good luck with that hill. You'll die there alone.

I will.. I've died on a few hills on my own on here over the years but been proven right time and again. Gets boring really.

Wtf? Are you living in a parallel universe? You said that O'Neil doesn't necessarily know more about professional football than Gary O'Neil? It's an absolutely mental thing to say.

Nobody anywhere on this site has defended O'Neil or even said he's a good manager but the statement that fans on here know more about football than him is completely crazy.

;