Positives from playing in the Championship

Admittedly I am quite excited by the thoughts of playing in the Championship and scoring goals and winning games again but I fear that it could be a long hard season playing championship football and not as fun as some expect. It's not going to be nice seeing some of our long term and most promising players leave also. Hopefully I am wrong though. Who knows its doubtful but we might even stay up.

Just listened to Krasner of Wigan, on R5 begging local businessmen with Money to get the poor little club out of the sh*t.
Sounds like a right effeminate tosser....a bit like Gordon Taylor...limp wristed exterior but steely- minded.
But thats football people through and through now.. Its All to f*ck as a sport!
Had the other half of the crate tonight Brian?

Sky actually show more games in the Championship than Premier League and so we could find ourselves on tv more often so more regular weird tv slots which are a pain when travelling.

But other than that, it’s a great league. Proper clubs, no tourists, less money mercenaries.

If we could become a yo-yo club like West Brom, Norwich etc as a fan that’s probably the best balance, bit of glory, bit of glamour. Much better than aspiring for a top half finish.

No guarantees though.

Whatever the Legacy is ..those of us that will stay as fans are a Legacy in our own right: Each of us with our own individual memories of all the Ups and Downs ..and some vastly differing opinions of what is right and wrong.
But what Binds us Together is our Indefatigable Allegiance to our Home town Club...when others are tempted away to support Bigger Clubs.
Total Respect from Me to those of You that are still living local and will still turn up at DC whatever the Fortunes of the Club.

How many will be celebrating if we don’t go down?

The reality is not many I expect - people posting are looking for a silver lining to a bad outcome. Looking at Huddersfield, boro, stoke struggling at bottom at champ means we could easily be looking forward to L1 rather than champ and there ain’t much to look forward to in L1 post covid.

If we do go down and by some miracle EH changes his mind and decides to stay, then I won't be overwhelmingly devastated. Good young players and trusted pros that have been here a while, parachute payments. I think Demin is an excellent owner, and has always done what he feels is right by the club. Think we could be a good side again.

However, if EH does leave...what exactly is the selling point for any of the players? Play in a tiny stadium with League 1 facilities without EH? Why would anyone actually want to stay, or want to join? The whole club is in EHs image- if he leaves, I just can't see how we aren't well and truly buggered.

The phrase "no one is bigger than the club" gets thrown around, but in terms of building for the future, is any of it actually possible without EH? He is the selling point of AFCB, he's the reason we're here, he's responsible for near every high point for the club in the last decade, and he's responsible for the highest points in the clubs history by FAR. Without him and everything he's built with Max, we're just a League 1 lifer. If anyone is bigger than the club its probably EH.

Hopefully most of us Billy....and subsequent to the Celebrations.. will have an eye on the strategy of the Club being somewhat realigned and given more direction...and certainly better Communicated to the Fans.

In fact...brought up to the Level of Communication that You put out...would be Fine!

I think it would be more relief than celebration. Financial and boardroom issues are the main driver of concern. Next season in the PL would likely just be another relegation slog whilst the squad gets rebuilt, not a lot of cheer there.

I don't exactly love the league anyway (thinking back to Burnley away for example, or some of the maddening decisions we've seen against the big clubs). But since the restart for me it's all a bit hollow, detached, somewhat desensitised at the moment.

I'm used to relegation battles (we all are) but I'm used to mentally kicking the ball from the stand. I'm struggling to feel overly engaged in this, and the fact the football on offer is so insipid probably plays a part in that. Though I was very angry after Palace and Newcastle, that was partly embarrassment.

-17 now that was a celebration. Or 2015-16, that was definitely celebration. Or a failed example: 2008 under Bond, that would have been celebration had we done it.

Still, perhaps a win to rally around on Thursday would inject a bit more emotion into it all.

Last edited:
If we do go down and by some miracle EH changes his mind and decides to stay, then I won't be overwhelmingly devastated. Good young players and trusted pros that have been here a while, parachute payments. I think Demin is an excellent owner, and has always done what he feels is right by the club. Think we could be a good side again.

However, if EH does leave...what exactly is the selling point for any of the players? Play in a tiny stadium with League 1 facilities without EH? Why would anyone actually want to stay, or want to join? The whole club is in EHs image- if he leaves, I just can't see how we aren't well and truly buggered.

The phrase "no one is bigger than the club" gets thrown around, but in terms of building for the future, is any of it actually possible without EH? He is the selling point of AFCB, he's the reason we're here, he's responsible for near every high point for the club in the last decade, and he's responsible for the highest points in the clubs history by FAR. Without him and everything he's built with Max, we're just a League 1 lifer. If anyone is bigger than the club its probably EH.
EH has not decided what he will do when we go down, not information that he has shared with anyone on this board for sure. In answer to your question why would anyone want to sign for us, the same reason anyone wants to sign for any team, money. If we have a budget to be competitive then we will be able to attract good enough players, if we don’t then we will be in trouble, regardless of who is in charge. I like to think that EH feels a level of guilt and responsibility for what has happened this season and will want to do all he can to rectify it. If he loves the club as much as he says he does then he won’t be going anywhere. Let’s be honest, his star does not shine anywhere near as brightly as it once did. He has been overtaken by the likes of Wilder and Dyche, I don’t see who in the PL would give him a job now. He did also once say that he would be here as long as Max wanted him. I truly hope he does the right thing and tries to stabilise us in the championship next season

The thing is we played the best football ever seen by an Afcb fan,when in the championship.I think we still pin hopes on that happening again,but I'm not so sure

If we stay up it will probably be the best scenario financially and for the future of the club. Given the season we're having I'd hope there would be some major changes either tactically or personnel-wise to at least get to a style of football that the XI on the pitch understand. Whether we'd have the time to implement anything significant I'm not sure. In the back of my mind I'd still fear another season of languid toothless performances but I'm certain that something would have to change eventually, even if it meant Eddie realising he'd taken us as far as he could.

Everyone dreaming about Championship football probably has the memories from our short spell there fresh in their minds. However history has shown that clubs in our position often plummet through the leagues. If our current team played against that Championship winning team I could pretty much guarantee the result. So I feel like the reality would be far more depressing, at least until we had found rock bottom and rebuilt the squad.

So given the above I will be celebrating if we don't go down. Even though I agree that the value for money entertainment value of the EFL is superior, it feels like we are at a financial tipping point for the future existence of our club.

If we stay up it will probably be the best scenario financially and for the future of the club. Given the season we're having I'd hope there would be some major changes either tactically or personnel-wise to at least get to a style of football that the XI on the pitch understand. Whether we'd have the time to implement anything significant I'm not sure. In the back of my mind I'd still fear another season of languid toothless performances but I'm certain that something would have to change eventually, even if it meant Eddie realising he'd taken us as far as he could.

Everyone dreaming about Championship football probably has the memories from our short spell there fresh in their minds. However history has shown that clubs in our position often plummet through the leagues. If our current team played against that Championship winning team I could pretty much guarantee the result. So I feel like the reality would be far more depressing, at least until we had found rock bottom and rebuilt the squad.

So given the above I will be celebrating if we don't go down. Even though I agree that the value for money entertainment value of the EFL is superior, it feels like we are at a financial tipping point for the future existence of our club.
Agree that we should guard against viewing the Championship through rose tints, or assuming that we'll automatically do well down there. Bigger clubs than us have plummeted. Our 2015-17 side would beat this one on current form. All fair comment!

;