Post-match thoughts v Brighton

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Had a rough couple of days. Nothing serious, just a fever/bug of some sort, but don't feel up to this tonight.

Over to you...

This. Why so ***** slow out of the blocks? We then played really well from 30 to 60 mins and then fizzled out.
Gon obviously sets us up to try and be solid early on...try to stay in the game for as long as possible before having a go when we absolutely have to......this is what he thinks gives us the best chance of survival.....such a waste of our players talents.

Second half was painful to watch. I don’t think we were particularly awful, the ball was only in play for like 20 minutes. Started the second half fiercely again but De Zerbi turned the screw with an absolutely outrageous away performance. They well and truly “did” us.

Nothing guilt edged. 37 mins gone and Traore 10 yards out with gk to beat - pretty guilt edged to me.

That's a fair point but I think he meant that while we easily had enough chances for atleast a draw it would be easy to see it as a flat performance.

I think once the number crunching is done, perhaps baring the sucker punch at the end we'll be level or better on xG.

Night and day compared to the reverse fixture which I was hugely critical of. That game we were lucky to lose by such a short margin, this game we were unlucky to lose at all.

We can’t start playing after 30mins and 1-0 down. Brighton dominated midfield and not sure we won a second ball all game. We were good for 15mins before half time and if Traore had taken that chance, 1-1 ht could have been a different prospect.
2nd half Brighton were a joke for time wasting and faking injuries and ref bought into all of it. But we felt flat all game and struggled to control midfield. Brighton are decent enough but we are in a relegation battle and that first 30mins was crap.

Was relatively happy with the performance for the first hour to 70 minutes. Substitutions didn't work at all and theirs did. Probably deserved to be level after 65 minutes on the balance of play but didn't lay a glove on them after that. They could have had four in that last 20 minutes.
Agree SDD - our subs turned the game in their favour. Lost energy and became disjointed.

Sometimes you just have to take your hat off to the opposition. We all feared Brighton would be good and they were. A step too far for us with this current coach and the way his team play but our season never depended on beating Brighton and hopefully we have Tavs fit to start Saturday.

We created enough chances to get a goal and make things different but neither of our new forward signings can hit a barn door and unfortunately everything clear cut fell to them. I still don’t get this boards love in with Outtara and Traore I know I got stick for it Saturday and I also appreciate they will improve as they get used to the PL but this is a relegation battle and both looked a level off again.

I thought Brighton did what we did to teams the year we went up and looked more dangerous when in front and we had to go at them leaving a lot of spaces. Their drilled movement was world class, they were even dummying the ball without looking in moves that were clearly drilled. I’ve never liked them but like to see football played like that.

Hopefully we have a plan for our relegation six pointers and a squad in mind. I think we missed Billings influence further forwards and would bring Rothwell or Cook back and have Christie and Tavs out wide… Let the new players be impact subs.

So, no disgrace tonight, it is what it is and let’s crack on with the rest of the season knowing other than maybe Spurs and Utd we won’t have other games like that.

Agree SDD - our subs turned the game in their favour. Lost energy and became disjointed.

Weren't you on the other thread saying how rubbish Outtara and Traore were? They were behind a lot of the positive things we did before the subs. Both are not quite up to the pace of the PL but we are clearly creating more with them in the side. Christie's energy is also a must against the better sides imo.

Brighton played some decent stuff. Someone explain to me why they felt the need to resort to one of the worst time wasting displays I've ever seen
Time wasting is interesting. Do fans really want to get rid of it as we all cheer like mad when we do it winning away. I often ponder this as I’m as guilty about moaning about it at home as I am cheering it away! Eddie was a master with it.

It’s an easy thing for the game to eradicate. Just give five minute time penalties for cases like their keeper today and move injured players instantly off the pitch with quick stretchers and play on offering the manager a chance to make a quick sub.

That's a fair point but I think he meant that while we easily had enough chances for atleast a draw it would be easy to see it as a flat performance.

I think once the number crunching is done, perhaps baring the sucker punch at the end we'll be level or better on xG.

Night and day compared to the reverse fixture which I was hugely critical of. That game we were lucky to lose by such a short margin, this game we were unlucky to lose at all.

We'll have been level on xG until the last 20 but I think they will well ahead for the whole game.

;