Post-match thoughts v Fulham

kirsikka

UTC Legend
After the Villa result and poor performance and with players finally returning from injury in a match where we really needed something, GON decided to... keep the same starting XI. Whatever the opposite of bold is, that's him. Maybe Ariel. We certainly played like a bunch of Little Mermaids for the first thirty minutes.

Instead of a snarling in-their-face home performance to set Fulham back on their haunches, we were moving like we were running Under The Sea. Watching players attempting to press one by one whilst their team mates looked on in mild disinterest was utterly depressing.

For the goal, Smith lost sight of his man and let him make a run on his blindside and after that it was an easy finish. Fulham could easily have been more ahead, and were unlucky to only hit the bar. We simply weren't at the races, and GON was standing on the sidelines with a befuddled expression with no idea what was happening. You and me both Gary, you and me both.

Finally, after a long ball caused some problems we seemed to settle and get involved in the game. Outtara slipping one past the post and then carelessly wandering offside only to only hit the underside of the bar and see the ball bounce out.

It was still a bit limp though. We weren't fighting for our lives, we were having a gentle kickabout in the park. In truth, I thought our goal led a bit of an Enchanted life in that 45.

Half time couldn't come soon enough with GON needing to change the tactics and attitude on the pitch. I was sat hoping it'll be a triple sub:
Vina for Kelly, Tavernier for Anthony and Brooks for Outtara. It needed a wholesale different outlook in how we approach the game if we're going to cause them problems. We got one of those, and Christie... the most defensive winger we possess. Sigh. GON giveth, GON taketh away. And yet, I wrote too soon when I said that.

We started the second half like we should have started the first, full throttle and pushing Fulham back with Tavernier at the heart of everything. It was adrenaline pumping stuff, and exactly what we need to see more of in the weeks ahead. Finally, some Brave football.

The equaliser when it came was a touch of class from Tavernier. I doubt there's a keeper on the planet who would have saved that. A Bolt from the blue.

I thought we let Fulham off the hook a bit then, they were on the ropes but we let the game become an evenly contested back and forth for a good period. We can be thankful that when a chance did go in, it was for us.

Not sure what to make of the Solanke performance. Again it was maximum effort but once again he kept getting the ball Tangled under his feet. Not convinced he'll get to keep that goal, might be changed to an og, but I hope it does and it might give him the lift he needs.

With the silky skills of Tavs and the full commitment from Christie, it was like having the Fox and the Hound on opposing wings. I was wrong to sign about Christie as he was very good out there.

Meanwhile Silva was his usual annoying idiotic self on the sideline throughout. What a Wall-E.

In the end, we saw the match out pretty comfortably. Be very thankful you know who was suspended though.

----- Positive Performances -----

Tavernier - Changed the course of the game. A cut above. Repeatedly turned his man Inside Out and scored a worldie.

Billing - Not as good as his recent heights but still a big force in the midfield.

Christie - Worked his socks off after coming on and even made an impact going forward.

------ Room For Improvement -----

Rothwell - Not terrible but not his day. Tried hard but it wasn't coming off for him.

Anthony - Struggled to make an impact and was rightly hooked at the break. He'll have plenty of better days.

Smith - At fault for the goal and looked outpaced on a few occasions.

----- GON Watch -----

He got away with one today. We should have been more than a goal down at half time and the crosses they swung in during the second half were gasping for Mitrovic. If they'd had a better finisher on the pitch, I think the result may have been different. Vinicius was absolute dog turd out there.

In the plus column, the half time team talk clearly lit a rocket under the players although it does beg the question why he couldn't get that type of spell out of them at the start of the first half.

No bad VAR decision, no penalty denied or given against, no goal conceded from a set piece, a (shortish) period of putting the other team under the cosh. It's progress, but it doesn't erase that first forty five and the conservative starting line up.

Three points and Up the table we go. It was the start our April desperately needed. We've given ourselves a real chance. I just hope that GON can see it was attacking the other team that got that result, not sitting back and hoping to keep them out and sneak something on the break. I know some will say I'm a Moana for keeping going on about it but it's the only way we're going to survive.

Onward to Tuesday night and a big night under the lights against the Frankenweenies of Sussex. Would I like three points then as well? I should Coco.

Last edited:
After the Villa result and poor performance and with players finally returning from injury in a match where we really needed something, GON decided to... keep the same starting XI. Whatever the opposite of bold is, that's him. Maybe Ariel. We certainly played like a bunch of Little Mermaids for the first thirty minutes.

Instead of a snarling in-their-face home performance to set Fulham back on their haunches, we were moving like we were running Under The Sea. Watching players attempting to press one by one whilst their team mates looked on in mild disinterest was utterly depressing.

For the goal, Smith lost sight of his man and let him make a run on his blindside and after that it was an easy finish. Fulham could easily have been more ahead, and were unlucky to only hit the bar. We simply weren't at the races, and GON was standing on the sidelines with a befuddled expression with no idea what was happening. You and me both Gary, you and me both.

Finally, after a long ball caused some problems we seemed to settle and get involved in the game. Outtara slipping one past the post and then carelessly wandering offside only to only hit the underside of the bar and see the ball bounce out.

It was still a bit limp though. We weren't fighting for our lives, we were having a gentle kickabout in the park. In truth, I thought our goal led a bit of an Enchanted life in that 45.

Half time couldn't come soon enough with GON needing to change the tactics and attitude on the pitch. I was sat hoping it'll be a triple sub:
Vina for Kelly, Tavernier for Anthony and Brooks for Outtara. It needed a wholesale different outlook in how we approach the game if we're going to cause them problems. We got one of those, and Christie... the most defensive winger we possess. Sigh. GON giveth, GON taketh away. And yet, I wrote too soon when I said that.

We started the second half like we should have started the first, full throttle and pushing Fulham back with Tavernier at the heart of everything. It was adrenaline pumping stuff, and exactly what we need to see more of in the weeks ahead. Finally, some Brave football.

The equaliser when it came was a touch of class from Tavernier. I doubt there's a keeper on the planet who would have saved that. A Bolt from the blue.

I thought we let Fulham off the hook a bit then, they were on the ropes but we let the game become an evenly contested back and forth for a good period. We can be thankful that when a chance did go in, it was for us.

With the silky skills of Tavs and the full commitment from Christie, it was like having the Fox and the Hound on opposing wings.

Not sure what to make of the Solanke performance. Again it was maximum effort but once again he kept getting the ball Tangled under his feet. Not convinced he'll get to keep that goal, might be changed to an og, but I hope it does and it might give him the lift he needs.

Silva was his usual annoying idiotic self on the sideline throughout. What a Wall-E.

In the end, we saw the match out pretty comfortably. Be very thankful you know who was suspended though.

Tavernier - Changed the course of the game. A cut above. Repeatedly turned his man Inside Out and scored a worldie.

Billing - Not as good as his recent heights but still a big force in the midfield.

Christie - Worked his socks off after coming on and even made an impact going forward.

Rothwell - Not terrible but not his day. Tried hard but it wasn't coming off for him.

Anthony - Struggled to make an impact and was rightly hooked at the break. He'll have plenty of better days.

----- GON Watch -----

He got away with one today. We should have been more than a goal down at half time and the crosses they swung in during the second half were gasping for Mitrovic. If they'd had a better finisher on the pitch, I think the result may have been different. Vinicius was absolute dog turd out there.

In the plus column, the half time team talk clearly lit a rocket under the players although it does beg the question why he couldn't get that type of spell out of them at the start of the first half.

No bad VAR decision, no penalty denied or given against, no goal conceded from a set piece, a (shortish) period of putting the other team under the cosh. It's progress, but it doesn't erase that first forty five and the conservative starting line up.

Three points and Up the table we go. It was the start our April desperately needed. We've given ourselves a real chance. I just hope that GON can see it was attacking the other team that got that result, not sitting back and hoping to keep them out and sneak something on the break. I know some will say I'm a Moana for keeping going on about it but it's the only way we're going to survive.

Onward to Tuesday night and a bit night under the lights against the Frankenweenies of Sussex. Would I like three points then as well? I should Coco.
Everything spot on here. Surely GON will now see that we have to be on the front foot to look good against any teams other than the top 5. We gave Fulham way too much respect in the first 30 minutes and would've been dead and buried if Robinson hadn't hit the bar. 2nd half superb but the lessons have to be learned from the first half.

Tav has to start against Brighton. Think it's worth trying Vina over Kelly as well for some more balance.

Huge 3 points and other results going our way. Happy days.

The first half was horrific, I’ve seen us play pre season friendlies with ten times the intensity that we showed in that half. Completely unacceptable, we barely even attempted to lay a glove on them, we just stood and watched them knocking the ball about at will.

Second half was the polar opposite. The substitutes immediately gave us an energy and intensity that had been lacking in the first half, and all of a sudden Fulham no longer looked like world beaters once we started to press them and make it difficult for them to play out. Funny that.

We have the players to survive, but do we have the manager?

Why do we always come back from international breaks looking like our players have never met each other before?

It was like the opposite of lots of our performances this season. O'Neil got the starting line-up and tactics horribly wrong yet won the game with his in-game changes. As bad as the first half was we probably could have gone in ahead given the chances we somehow created.

Tavernier and Christie were brilliant. Fair play GON for the changes.

I think today summed up Dom Solanke. Works so well at running the channels, giving an outlet and creating space. But has the first touch of Jimmy Saville - give him a sitter and he'll send it in to row z. Here's hoping today will kick start some form infront of goal.

Apart from the obvious of Tav and Christie changing the game I'd like to mention that I thought Jack Stephens was brilliant today, again! He is a must for the summer shopping list.
Great at defending the box. Wrecks my nerve’s further up the pitch though.

Not sure today is the best day to judge Stephens. He was up against possibly the worst ever performance I've ever seen from an opposition striker at PL level.

The first half was horrific, I’ve seen us play pre season friendlies with ten times the intensity that we showed in that half. Completely unacceptable, we barely even attempted to lay a glove on them, we just stood and watched them knocking the ball about at will.

Second half was the polar opposite. The substitutes immediately gave us an energy and intensity that had been lacking in the first half, and all of a sudden Fulham no longer looked like world beaters once we started to press them and make it difficult for them to play out. Funny that.

We have the players to survive, but do we have the manager?
From the view from my sofa, I thought things stabilized half way through the first, but would agree that the first 20 minutes was awful.

Do we have the manager? Poor set-up from the start (today's TV commentators were Tony Gale and Gary ??) and they were damning in the first quarter of the game - refreshing straight talk. But Gary made brilliant changes. So, which side of the manager will we get over the next 10 outings??

With the silky skills of Tavs and the full commitment from Christie, it was like having the Fox and the Hound on opposing wings. I was wrong to sign about Christie as he was very good out there.

Meanwhile Silva was his usual annoying idiotic self on the sideline throughout. What a Wall-E.

----- GON Watch -----

Onward to Tuesday night and a big night under the lights against the Frankenweenies of Sussex. Would I like three points then as well? I should Coco.

Incredible(s)

Fair summary my Finnish friend.

The frustrating thing for me is the nub of our side, with a good manager looking to play attacking football would, in my opinion, stay up comfortably. Look at Fulham, we’ve been in the same league as them for two years, we came up together and they couldn’t beat us. We have spent 13m more than them since promotion and they have taken 1 point out of 6 against us this year. They are safe though and we are deep in it and thankful their best two players were suspended.

The way we started today was a disgrace. Setting up like we were playing Man City, no possession and lumping the ball endlessly into channels. And people didn’t want Sean Dyche….

No system, no intent, non existent press, players lost.

HT we made changes. Interesting about our somehow much vaunted Jan window none of the six arrivals were deemed good enough to start the second half and only one the f

The second half started excellently, fell back into old patterns then a brief purple patch won it before we hung on again.

Will he learn from this we are better on the front foot? Unlikely as long as he maintains the desire to play Senessi and Stephen’s as their lack of pace means we have to sit so deep the team are very stretched. We just don’t get numbers up the pitch until behind.

Postives
Tavernier is outstanding.
Christie was excellent
Good in game changes.
Confidence boost for Dom who I thought showed why he has to start
Wilson didn’t score the last minute free kick everyone around me called when he came on.

Negatives
Winter signings not looking like good investment. Traore looked weak again, Outtara non existent other than a horrible miss (ref saved blushes) the others didn’t play.

Lack of intent and energy and fortunate to catch Fulham on a day without two of their best players.

Who else would have watched that Villa game and thought ‘that’s my next game starting line up?’

1st half we pressed and then didn't. Seemed hit, miss and patchy. We looked all over the place and Fulham could have been 3 up. But they weren't.

Good subs. Tavernier had the impact that would have been welcome from the start. An unchanged team after a drubbing was odd.

Anthony and Dango were ineffective I felt. Changing both energised the team.

The pressure at start of 2nd was welcome and Fulham struggled. We then ebbed and flowed. Pressing and backing off. We got away with it. I have little confidence in our ability to see out the last few minutes of a game. Gave the ball away too easily and too often.

Two home wins in a row. When was last time we had 3?

A good day.

When their goal went in all our players walked back up the pitch, heads down. No geeing up. No talking. No support. Bad sign.
This is a good point. I thought the body language of the players and in particular GON was abysmal. GON looked like a lost sheep on the sidelines. Chalk and cheese to 2nd half post the Tav goal when players were geeing each other up and GON was lively. True leadership is when the chips are down and we need a bit more energy and leadership on the pitch, not waiting till half time to regroup.

Nowhere near as bad as the body language in our last relegation season, but we need the likes of Lerma, Kelly, Dom and in particular GON to be more vocal when we go behind.

'Two home wins in a row. When was last time we had 3?'

December 19/ Jan 20 last 3 consecutive home wins in this division.

I’m struggling to work out if this is a ‘well done Gary for the changes’ situation, or a ‘what the f**k was Gary doing in the first place starting with that team’ situation.

If we are to stay up it will be through out fighting and out working out opponents until the end of the season. The first half application from the players but the second was exactly what it needed to be.

A few individual assessments:

Good:

-Christie- was absolutely immense when he came on, he’s not even close to being as naturally talented as Dango but his sheer will and determination made him the far more effective of the two today. Perhaps we need to prioritise energy over quality for the rest of the season.

-Tavernier- again, his sheer willingness to make things happen gave the entire team (and the crowd) a huge lift. Even ignoring his wonder goal, he had a hugely positive impact on the game and the rest of the team. Even when he loses the ball he chases like a mad man to do everything in his power to win it back. He must start every game, simple as that.

-Billing- fantastic in the second half, an absolute machine with his work rate and constantly finding pockets of space to influence the game, using the ball incredibly intelligently too.

-Solanke- I thought he was superb today in everything he did, up until he went to pull the trigger. I know it’s his job to score goals and that he shouldn’t be tripping over his own feet when presented with a tap in from two yards out, but he really was an absolute menace today. Impeccable hold up play, channel running, movement and ball carrying. A lot of what we did well was instigated by Solanke.

Not Good:

Anthony- shouldn’t be in the team at the moment, I’ve seen very little from him to suggest that he has the quality to influence games at this level currently. I love the lad, but he is just a passenger whenever he plays at the moment. The difference between him and Tavernier was like night and day.

Smith- will always appear on this list, because he simply isn’t up to this level of football anymore. He gets turned inside out week after week and is a complete liability defensively. I think he even knows this too, the look on his face after getting done for the opening goal was one of pure resignation. It’s a shame the guy we signed to compete with him is permanently injured. I am genuinely scared at the thought of what Mitoma is going to do to him on Tuesday.

Dango- I feel like his sporadic output in terms of assists is masking the fact that he looks slightly out of his depth in this league so far. He looks very lost quite a lot of the time and seems to struggle to play with the intensity required.

;