Pre Match trial of outside area - observations

My son & I had 2 ticket checks yesterday. One coming in from the car park end which we expected, but another by the main entrance - what's the point of that?? The guy could see the direction we came from!
We bought 2 pizzas outside the ground which were a bit hot, so we thought we'd take them into the ground (East Stand entrance) to eat them - no chance! We had to eat them round the side of the ground standing up & then were let in.
The guy was apologetic and told us that they were the rules.
Apparently if I had made a pizza at home and brought that in, it would have been fine.
Any clarification of the rules would be appreciated! Surely the food was bought right outside the ground, so what's the issue?

East stand queues were a bit of a worry 20 mins before kick off - although queuing with a pint in hand is the way forward.
The problem with the East Stand is that there are only 3 turnstiles for over half the stand which compared to the other stands is way less per supporter hence the longer queues

Any clarification of the rules would be appreciated! Surely the food was bought right outside the ground, so what's the issue?
I don't have any associations or "in the know" contacts but my punt would be that there's probably contractual obligations with the concourse food suppliers about the club supplying food to be consumed in the stadium. Weirdly you could probably bring in pizza from a shop round the corner.

I expect a heads up would've been appreciated though!

Good to see this evolve yesterday. Certainly adds a buzz to the stadium.

Would be a bit sceptic about having away fans walking around with beer if it was a game that had a bit more riding on it… or if it was a different fan base.
If that could be captured indoors (varieties of food and drink) then it could be a money spinning winner all year round.

Good to see this evolve yesterday. Certainly adds a buzz to the stadium.

Would be a bit sceptic about having away fans walking around with beer if it was a game that had a bit more riding on it… or if it was a different fan base.
I too was surprised to see a Brentford shirt among the home fans behind the NS, given all the Home fans only rules/announcements.
Typical Bournemouth stewarding really, failing where there could be real problems (sadly), but old people get their ticket checked at HT half way up the steps after going for a pee, in a stand they had to swipe to get in

I too was surprised to see a Brentford shirt among the home fans behind the NS, given all the Home fans only rules/announcements.
Typical Bournemouth stewarding really, failing where there could be real problems (sadly), but old people get their ticket checked at HT half way up the steps after going for a pee, in a stand they had to swipe to get in
The Brentford fan wasn’t causing any problems was he? Have you never had a drink amongst opposing home fans?

It’s the heavy handed stuff that should be concerning.

I don't walk around the ground tbh but aren't there checks at the south end? Presumably the away end has checks and depending on when you get there there might be checks by the main entrance.
SDD gets to the ground early, to start an argument with the groundsmen, the ball boys and the flag wavers.

The Brentford fan wasn’t causing any problems was he?

I’m really not sure we should be waiting for any problems to happen before acting. If we’re serving away fans outside of the ground do it by their turnstile not by the family stand entrance…

I’m really not sure we should be waiting for any problems to happen before acting. If we’re serving away fans outside of the ground do it by their turnstile not by the family stand entrance…
Nice you removed the rest of my reply to that post.

Nice you removed the rest of my reply to that post.

That’s the bit that I wanted to respond to?!

But seeing as you asked nicely…

Have you never had a drink amongst opposing home fans?

Not outside the entrance to their family stand turnstile, no.
It’s the heavy handed stuff that should be concerning.

Away fans drinking by the family stand turnstile could force us into a situation we’d rather avoid. That is far more concerning to me than having to show my ticket 2 times or having a quick pat down.

There you go. :thumbup:

That’s the bit that I wanted to respond to?!

But seeing as you asked nicely…

Not outside the entrance to their family stand turnstile, no.

Away fans drinking by the family stand turnstile could force us into a situation we’d rather avoid. That is far more concerning to me than having to show my ticket 2 times or having a quick pat down.

There you go. :thumbup:
Is it the drinking by the family stand you object to or the colour of the shirt?

Is it the drinking by the family stand you object to or the colour of the shirt?

In an ideal world it would be great to have an alcohol free area of the stadium just like at cricket grounds. But I’m realistic in these matters.

But mixing supporters and alcohol isn’t a great combination. As evident with the amount of home fans only or away fans friendly pubs you get up and down the land.

In an ideal world it would be great to have an alcohol free area of the stadium just like at cricket grounds. But I’m realistic in these matters.

But mixing supporters and alcohol isn’t a great combination. As evident with the amount of home fans only or away fans friendly pubs you get up and down the land.
Especially if they're on a podcast.

Well I didnt have my ticket checked once yesterday. (Obviously scanned at the turnstile) Even though I'm in the standing area. Not sure there is much of a cordon in place.

Is that good or bad?!?! Not sure reading this thread.

I’ve been to, and seen AFCB fans drinking at Fan zones at West Brom and Palace without any trouble.

Isn’t that kind of the point of proportional stewarding?

I’ve been to, and seen AFCB fans drinking at Fan zones at West Brom and Palace without any trouble.

Isn’t that kind of the point of proportional stewarding?

Been to both, as neither are next to their family stand turnstile it’s not exactly comparable.

I’d rather avoid families and children feeling uncomfortable as they enter the stadium. Fan parks away from the turnstiles are easily avoided if people want to. It can’t be avoided if it’s yards away from the queue.

Large groups of men drinking can be pretty intimidating to people, let alone kids. But that can’t be avoided if taking them to football. So I get it.

Chucking in alcohol and two sets of fans mixing, banter follows and it escalates. Just seems a situation to best avoid if possible to me.

Why not just have a bar by the away turnstile?

Been to both, as neither are next to their family stand turnstile it’s not exactly comparable.

I’d rather avoid families and children feeling uncomfortable as they enter the stadium. Fan parks away from the turnstiles are easily avoided if people want to. It can’t be avoided if it’s yards away from the queue.

Large groups of men drinking can be pretty intimidating to people, let alone kids. But that can’t be avoided if taking them to football. So I get it.

Chucking in alcohol and two sets of fans mixing, banter follows and it escalates. Just seems a situation to best avoid if possible to me.

Why not just have a bar by the away turnstile?
Fair points.

;