Premier League 24/25

I would say the salary caps promote "parity" in the big North American leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL)*, but they came at the cost of significant labor conflicts over the years. Also, all of those teams are franchises rather than truly clubs, there's a lot of sharing of TV revenues, penalty payments, and those leagues all have amateur drafts. I don't see the English football supporting public have much appetite to copy those features.

* I don't follow any of those except the NHL a little, and I don't know the details of their caps, or even for sure that's an apt description for their arrangements. They are complicated schemes.

Who knows how the rule works?

I can’t for the life of me work out how we spent 80 million plus on players and still operate within the strict shackles of FFP or whatever it’s called now?
Maybe when we sell Dom and Kerkez in the summer we will balance the books somewhat?

But they know the rules and they broke them.

Maybe there is a better way, but if clubs want to spunk away more than they should and at the same time cut OAP concessions then they deserve it.

Sure but when you dick random numbers of points from teams every season it just makes a mockery of the league table. This season has FFP sanctions hanging over it so nobody actually knows with any confidence what points teams have. We're heading into the final part of the season with the prospect of further points deductions. It's crazy and it will turn people off.

Who knows how the rule works?

I can’t for the life of me work out how we spent 80 million plus on players and still operate within the strict shackles of FFP or whatever it’s called now?
Maybe when we sell Dom and Kerkez in the summer we will balance the books somewhat?
Basic TV money, before individual games paid for = £84 million last season.

Sure but when you dick random numbers of points from teams every season it just makes a mockery of the league table. This season has FFP sanctions hanging over it so nobody actually knows with any confidence what points teams have. We're heading into the final part of the season with the prospect of further points deductions. It's crazy and it will turn people off.
There is that benefit.

Seriously, we all give the authorities stick for punishing the clubs, but if they could just behave themselves there wouldn't be a problem. Or maybe a lesser one.

And noone truly gave a **************** when us, Chester & Luton took such heavy penalties.

Doesn't make it right, but it does reduce even further any sympathy I have for the clubs involved.

There is that benefit.

Seriously, we all give the authorities stick for punishing the clubs, but if they could just behave themselves there wouldn't be a problem. Or maybe a lesser one.

And noone truly gave a **************** when us, Chester & Luton took such heavy penalties.

Doesn't make it right, but it does reduce even further any sympathy I have for the clubs involved.

Were you against it or for it when it happened to us? I was against it and that makes me less likely to support it now.

The rules are simply there to keep the rich rich and the poor poor though so I don't really have a lot of time for "they should just obey the rules" type arguments. Especially when the rich clubs are spending billions on players and so far have gone unpunished.

I would say the salary caps promote "parity" in the big North American leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL)*, but they came at the cost of significant labor conflicts over the years. Also, all of those teams are franchises rather than truly clubs, there's a lot of sharing of TV revenues, penalty payments, and those leagues all have amateur drafts. I don't see the English football supporting public have much appetite to copy those features.

* I don't follow any of those except the NHL a little, and I don't know the details of their caps, or even for sure that's an apt description for their arrangements. They are complicated schemes.
You are correct, and even then the "parity" is a function of willing owners to push the boat out. Many teams are never truly competitive, just want to be at the party.

The other element is that there are no truly competitive international leagues in any of the NA sports. So, if the FA were to create "caps" which in the end serve to constrain player salaries, some will just go off to Europe.

It does turn me off, I can tell you. If there were no relegation, and a points deduction was simply a proxy for less money from the pool, I would have no issue. But, not knowing the true standings with 11 games to go ....... it just reeks of shenanigans.

The very least the could do is defer the points deduction to the start of the next season the team are in the Prem. Mid season deductions and appeals and adjustments just doesn't make sense and is a little unfair tbh.

It does turn me off, I can tell you. If there were no relegation, and a points deduction was simply a proxy for less money from the pool, I would have no issue. But, not knowing the true standings with 11 games to go ....... it just reeks of shenanigans.

It's like VAR for the league table. Decided after the event by some faceless official somewhere.

Were you against it or for it when it happened to us? I was against it and that makes me less likely to support it now.

The rules are simply there to keep the rich rich and the poor poor though so I don't really have a lot of time for "they should just obey the rules" type arguments. Especially when the rich clubs are spending billions on players and so far have gone unpunished.
My understanding at the time was that it would serve its correct purpose, and I hoped, clearly naively, that it would level things out. So I guess I was in favour of that. But if you trawl back I'm sure you'll find me writing something completely different. ;-)

My understanding at the time was that it would serve its correct purpose, and I hoped, clearly naively, that it would level things out. So I guess I was in favour of that. But if you trawl back I'm sure you'll find me writing something completely different. ;-)

I can't remember exactly what I thought about it, tbh I still don't know what the answer is I just don't reckon sorting it mid season does anything for the integrity of the competition.

I do remember thinking that Luton getting -30 was a disgrace. They effectively threw their season down the drain and wasted all their supporters' money because they had no chance. They should have just relegated them and started them on zero points in the division below.

The only thing that matters in this Crock of Sh*t premiership league....is that the same f√cking clubs are in the top bracket each season....the rest of us are just there as points fodder for the Elites......and the journalistic stuff is orientated to that end !
The Elite thinking promulgated from the early years of the "' Premier League" as such is somewhat addictive to the modern fan emerging from the school- age population....hence why this Forum is topped up with Elitist tossers !

The only thing that matters in this Crock of Sh*t premiership league....is that the same f√cking clubs are in the top bracket each season....the rest of us are just there as points fodder for the Elites......and the journalistic stuff is orientated to that end !
The Elite thinking promulgated from the early years of the "' Premier League" as such is somewhat addictive to the modern fan emerging from the school- age population....hence why this Forum is topped up with Elitist tossers !
There's only one premiership tosser on here

There's only one premiership tosser on here
That's your f√cking opinion..which you are entitled to...it's possibly in a minority..I don't know that though for sure.. but.
What the PL breeds is what it breeds..I'm just glad i've not been indoctrinated into it's superficiality ...if I can pull just one fellow Cherry away from it with my blatherings..I will feel it a good job done !

;