Preston v AFC Bournemouth

Clubs rise and fall ,but to suggest that we’re not bigger than Barnsley NOW! is ridiculous . Our squad is is supposedly worth tens of millions ,theirs obviously isn’t .

Than what was coming directly before JT was sacked.
Well yeah we lost 4 in a row when JT was sacked so literally any result would be better.....thats setting the bar extremely low though isn't it?..........we also had results and performances under JT that were much better than what we're watching now tbf.

Clubs rise and fall ,but to suggest that we’re not bigger than Barnsley NOW! is ridiculous . Our squad is is supposedly worth tens of millions ,theirs obviously isn’t .
It's not ridiculous because club size isn't really based on how much the playing squad is supposedly worth there are plenty of other factors. If we go by your logic we are a bigger club than Forest and Sheffield Wednesday.
Even 'Now' we are one of the least supported clubs in the division and have one of the smallest stadiums in the league.

Last edited:
You keep believing that if you want

On what metric are they a bigger club?
Done nothing of note in the last 20 years
Okay they have a bigger stadium but it's regularly half empty with average attendances of 11k (so similar fanbase to us)
Most people regularly forget they even exist

So remind me again why we with our little ground, poor attendances,no history etc etc should be expecting to go up this season but all these “ bigger” clubs shouldn’t ?

We re a more attractive proposition than most other championship sides right now due to playing in the top tier for 5 years and having a bigger budget and arguably a stronger squad.

Like Mephams you mean?

Just pointing out that decision making is key.

Messing about at the back has been lamented of late, apparently the only way of stopping mistakes is to just get rid.

That’s what Steve Cook was doing...when you just get rid, there’s less accuracy, less precision and the chances of gifting possession away is increased. This is often offset by losing possession further up the pitch. Sometimes even those passes can go wrong and can lead to a goal.

The point is, on this occasion the best decision would have been the simple pass, that’s what Cook is most likely to have done in most games over the past decade. Now, you’d assume he’s being asked to go direct.

Just ironic I thought.

The results have been better than what exactly?
The last 3 games have resulted in 7 points . In those games in my eyes we deserved to win all 3 and yesterday’s first half performance was very good. We have allowed opponents to creat less chances aswell so that is a positive sign

our biggest Achilles heel is not being clinical enough into front of goal . The the triangle of players between Kelly Danjuma and lerma is starting to click and we are looking so much better on that side .
The Lewis cook role for me , is where we need someone close to solanke . Solankes hold up play has improved dramatically but needs someone close to him .

On what metric are they a bigger club?
Done nothing of note in the last 20 years
Okay they have a bigger stadium but it's regularly half empty with average attendances of 11k (so similar fanbase to us)
Most people regularly forget they even exist
As Weymouth boy points out....on your reckoning we are bigger than Forest , Derby ,Sheffield Wed. etc....yes money wise we are a richer club and more expensive squad at this moment in time, but that can change very quickly as we are starting to see....." bigger clubs " imo are based on history regular larger crowds, infrastructure etc of which in my opinion , Barnsley are a bigger club than us.

Messing about at the back has been lamented of late, apparently the only way of stopping mistakes is to just get rid.

That’s what Steve Cook was doing...when you just get rid, there’s less accuracy, less precision and the chances of gifting possession away is increased. This is often offset by losing possession further up the pitch. Sometimes even those passes can go wrong and can lead to a goal.

The point is, on this occasion the best decision would have been the simple pass, that’s what Cook is most likely to have done in most games over the past decade. Now, you’d assume he’s being asked to go direct.

Just ironic I thought.
We dominated the first half but its the same story

Cookie had one of his days yesterday, he quite regularly does. He has been doing it ever since he’s been here but he is still one of the first names on the team sheet.
Very few players can say they never make a “rick,” its just that, as a last-line defender, they can be terminal, ask Mep’s.
This squad has started to look like a team at last, its just such a pity that an individual mistake undid our earlier endeavours in this match.
I believe JW has “found” a back 4 and a competent midfield but his problem is getting enough goals from our front men to see us progress. It’s our weak spot.

Just ironic I thought.

I think the players should be smart enough though to distinguish between simple passes with no real risk and simple passes with considerable risk. We mixed it up at the back which appears to be the consensus view of how we want to play.

Cook had a reasonably simple pass to CCV, in space, who if he felt was in trouble could have gone long. He also had a riskier ball to Smith, which was in danger of being intercepted that he choose (wisely IMO) not to play. The risk level of the ball to CCV was much different to Mepham passing to Lerma with a man breathing down his neck on the edge of the penalty area.

I can't be certain whether Cook was trying to play a 'clever' ball in to Pearson (which was a bad choice) which is what I thought happened live, or whether he just miskicked it (as his body position on striking the ball looks like he was trying to launch it). But having now watched it a dozen times I'm going for the miskick.

I'd actually be happier if he did just 'top' it, as it is just one of those things (and we benefitted from a lapse at Bristol City). Maybe Cook didn't think he could miskick it so badly and that he had a better chance of a targeted clearance than CCV who was back-pedalling, which could be a logical strand.

Having watched it a few times this morning, I'm now a lot less angry, as 97/100 that would have been airborne, hopefully to a channel. It's the stupid decision making that drives me mad rather then technical skill going AWOL at a crucial time. Cook also pulled off a superb block just before that too.

Yet again we gift a goal.
We are the blasted Santa Claus of The Championship.
Quite simply this is one of the main reasons why we are going to struggle to reach the play offs.
Gifting goals and buggering up when we shouldn’t.
As I said before and will continue to say: this hugely talented squad are not as talented as we think they are.

I think the players should be smart enough though to distinguish between simple passes with no real risk and simple passes with considerable risk. We mixed it up at the back which appears to be the consensus view of how we want to play.

You just have to watch the Burnley-Arsenal game to know that bad decision making can be made at any level of the game. That pass from the Arsenal defender was far worse than anything any of our players have done.

;