Protection For Keepers

cockbeard

Fans' Favourite
No sour grapes here, and I played in goal a few times before my teens, but looking at that Allison claim, and thinking about some other events recently, do we protect keepers too much?

The phrase leading with the elbow meant that outfield players changed the way they jump for the ball. It's perfectly natural to use the arms to 'frame' where you want to put your head, especially when jostling with another, but it's no longer allowed in case you catch someone. Or even in case someone just decides to put their head where your arm is about to be

The knee is a far bigger hammer than than the elbow. I get leading with the leg to give me space behind to catch the ball. Expecting to get thumped from any angle, creating depth in my body shape by using the knee defensively makes sense. Exactly the same as elbows do for outfield players. If the players are leaping straight up I don't see the problem. But when you're jumping into the space occupied by someone else, adopting a 'defensive' pose just turns you into a cannonball. I wonder if it's worth a rethink

;