pubs for saturday

Rugby red

First Team
I got there early last year and tried a few. I think nearer the station the dearer?
Anybody find anything that was good?

:beer2:

Last year when I went, we did the Harvester next to the ground for a bit, which got absolutely packed by about 1. So we moved to Longton rugby club down the road from the ground, where they had Sky on TV and a mixture of Stoke and Bournemouth mingling.

Half the pubs from my student days near the station have been knocked down now for the Uni and college :sad:

I think the Glebe is still there, just over the A500 - but not sure if the pubs near the Town Hall car park are home only. They've traditionally been a bit 'lively' around there over the years!!

The Glebe is very good and a few yards from where the football bus departs for the ground. The White Star just round the corner is good with Titanic beers on, again near the bus or 25 min walk. Both are near the station.
I am heading to The Congress in Longton about 30 min walk from ground.

SteveJonesLegend - 18/11/2016 09:02

I thought the Harvester was Home only...???

No problems last season, plenty of AFCB in there as well as Stoke. It also seems to be listed as accepting away fans tomorrow on the Dorset Police Football twitter (usually a decent source of away friendly pub info).

Maybe because it's 'only' Bournemouth?

Silent AFCB - 18/11/2016 11:38

DevizesRed - 18/11/2016 13:11

SteveJonesLegend - 18/11/2016 09:02

I thought the Harvester was Home only...???

No it was half and half last year. Not a great place to drink but nearest to the ground!

And free parking.

Seem to remember they were charging a fiver when we tried. Queue was about 20 deep at the bar and all they had was the usual Harvester type offering of Fosters/John Smith etc

redharry - 18/11/2016 09:30

The Glebe is very good and a few yards from where the football bus departs for the ground. The White Star just round the corner is good with Titanic beers on, again near the bus or 25 min walk. Both are near the station.
I am heading to The Congress in Longton about 30 min walk from ground.

My first pint of my student days was in the Glebe, September 1990. 98p for a pint of Banks' mild :grin:

The Harvester is virtually the definition of a Harvester pub, if you've been in one before there's no surprises in there. They do have Sky sports and say they don't mind away fans, although it does get rammed before the match.
Ps anyone coming up here tomorrow, wrap up warm, even the locals are complaining about the cold : )

Cold last night, snow on moors near Leek. Lovely and sunny this morning.
4 pubs in Burslem last night, felt like an old away day being round the corner from Port Vales ground!
Off to the Congress soon, maybe see you there Eric!!

;