Qatar World Cup

Druss_the_Legend

UTC Legend
With it proved beyond reasonable doubt that Qatar bought the world cup and everyone involved in the process from both sides have been banned for either 8 years or life, what do you think should happen to Qatars world cup?

Its too late to go through a new bidding process. Should it be given to the US/UK/Spain as countries with the infrastructure in place already to host the event? Should we just let Qatar carry on and host it with everything thats happened so far?

Thoughts?

Druss_the_Legend - 21/12/2015 09:10
With it proved beyond reasonable doubt that Qatar bought the world cup...

Has it?

I thought the Blatter Platini bans are because of a single payment between the two. Does that verdict detail any connection with the Qatar decision?

I'm not doubting the Qatar decision was corrupt but I don't remember seeing any verdict, in court or by a sports administration, that has officially confirmed that.

There's still a very long way to go with all of this.

With the money already spent by Qatar on the stadium, there's no chance it will be changed. FIFA would end up bankrupting itself through court action from the Qataris seeking compensation, who can spend whatever they want on lawyers.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, self-preservation will kick in and it will take place there.

Let it go ahead, it will be a disastrous World Cup for the fans and be a total disruption to the schedule of domestic football for a couple of years. It will serve as a reminder for future generations on how not to choose a venue.

Let's put the corruption to one side. Just the fact that when voting it was for a summer WC should mean a revote once it was changed to a winter one.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 21/12/2015 10:22

Druss_the_Legend - 21/12/2015 09:10
With it proved beyond reasonable doubt that Qatar bought the world cup...

Has it?

I thought the Blatter Platini bans are because of a single payment between the two. Does that verdict detail any connection with the Qatar decision?

I'm not doubting the Qatar decision was corrupt but I don't remember seeing any verdict, in court or by a sports administration, that has officially confirmed that.

There's still a very long way to go with all of this.

The FBI arrests were based around the Qatar bid.

Druss_the_Legend - 21/12/2015 11:40
The FBI arrests were based around the Qatar bid.

British and American (supposedly) law sees us all as innocent until proven guilty.

Without convictions - be they in courts or sports administrative bodies - we're no further forward today than we were when the arrests were made.

Irrespective of the legal position there's a few points to consider.

The potential replacements for Blatter and Platini will probably want the Qatar and Russia World Cups to go ahead. So the only way to have any impact on either of them is to refuse to compete.

Our pulling out alone will have minimal impact. It would take withdrawals from Spain, Germany, France and probably Holland and Portugal to really stir the pot, although if all the other European nations joined us then the tournament would be truly devalued.

But that is a huge gamble. We could end up left out in the cold.

I hope I'm wrong, but Russia could be like a warzone for fans of other nations and how Quatar copes with pissed football fans could be very messy.

Actually, I hope I'm right on both counts.

Maybe after all that the sensible nations will break away from fifa and start again.

USCherry - 21/12/2015 11:16

Let's put the corruption to one side. Just the fact that when voting it was for a summer WC should mean a revote once it was changed to a winter one.

Absolutely. Shameful decision on those grounds alone.

The expansion of the World Cup from 32 to 48 teams could be brought forward from 2026 to 2022, says Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

The change would require Qatar to share 2022 hosting duties with other countries in the region.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46042794

(doing my best BTK impression)

Good idea.
Qatar sharing with Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, and Iraq.
A football supporters dream trip.

Good idea.
Qatar sharing with Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, and Iraq.
A football supporters dream trip.

Oman is about the only stable country in the region - Sultan is a confirmed Anglophile and much of the armed forces are staffed covertly by Brits.

Not sure the football infrastructure is up to much though.

;