Questions regarding transfer window......

Some terminology which I think covers it.

Nathan Ake is a defender, who plays in defence (/at the back) and is very good at defending.

Benik Afobe is a striker who plays up front (/in attack) and is pretty good at attacking.

“Nathan Ake, Nathan Ake, Nathan Ake plays for Bournemouth with Benik Afobe”

If we want a young combative midfielder. Then if we could tempt him from PSV I really like the look of Jorrit Hendrix. Quite the terrier like Harry Arter, only 22 but playing almost every weekend. Problem being that PSV are well clear at the top of the league, so he might not want to leave with a potential (likely) trophy in the offing

In football, there is no wage cap (technically there is, but that gets into the Financial Fair Play palavar), no rosters (squads replace it) and no Designated Players. Oh yeah and no allocation funds like they have in the MLS, and club ownership is completely different.

There is a minimal amount of players that have to be in the first team that have trained in England before the age of 21. I don't know the exact figure (7 or 8 I think) but people like Nathan Ake count towards the amount because despite not being English, he has trained and played here and is therefore considered "Homegrown".

98Grad - 27/12/2017 20:56

So what's the most a club can spend?

That depends upon the currency being used for the purchase. If the club can buy in Euros then there is a benefit to the point of Brexit (until March 2019) especially if they buy a defender from Europe as there is an EU discount of 6.75% (Article 167); the discount for other players is only 0.8%, except goalkeepers where there is no discount. Defence is a general problem in Europe.

Buying in a non Euro currency can also be beneficial, the Zimbabwean dollar for example. Because of the Zimbabwe economy the club has a unlimited cap in terms of how much it can spend, similarly with the North Korean won. However the Japanese yen is known to be a non-competitive currency during the UK January transfer window as is the Turkish lira.

Afcbrednblack - wow! And your serious! Great if our recruitment team can run with it! ...North Korea ? They say Kim plays a mean five- a -side ! Japan ? Sumo Wrestler to replace Bego and Boru in goal! Zimbabwe ? Robert Mugabe the new Ted Mac! Turkey ? We get Rantie back for 2 lira instead of 2 mil ! Plan B' s eat your heart out!

;