Radio Commentaries - do you hang on to hear from EH?

AFCB Lost in Brum

Fans' Favourite
Often I have to listen to the commentary of our games - it's Solent coverage via the club's website.

The match commentary is excellent.

However, irrespective of the result, there is no way I'll hang around listening to the drivel from Willo and Merrington as they try to fill time waiting for an interview with Eddie.

Trust me I love EH but once the game is done I turn off the 'radio' and just get on with my life.

Does anyone on here wait patiently to hear from Eddie or are you like me, who can't face the thought of having to listen to dull and duller and so just switches off?

I don’t either but I maybe in a minority of one as I go to a lot of our home and away games but never listen to the commentary or watch a stream when I don’t to a game. I always listen to solent interviews at some point on match day via twitter feed but at a time that suits me

Often I have to listen to the commentary of our games - it's Solent coverage via the club's website.

The match commentary is excellent.

However, irrespective of the result, there is no way I'll hang around listening to the drivel from Willo and Merrington as they try to fill time waiting for an interview with Eddie.

Trust me I love EH but once the game is done I turn off the 'radio' and just get on with my life.

Does anyone on here wait patiently to hear from Eddie or are you like me, who can't face the thought of having to listen to dull and duller and so just switches off?

Normally listen to it post match as it's interesting to hear what others have to say about it. I'm more interested in EH then Willo but Temple is interesting to listen to.

What I hate is a full interview cut short short unnecessarily because the scum are playing in 30 minutes time.

Despite loving him as a player and when he coached the club on no wages I can’t stand listening to Willo. He is too close to the club to be impartial. Hearing him ‘take the positives’ from every performance gets a little dull. Merrington loves the sound of his own voice but at least he is impartial.

That said I always suffer them both waiting for Eddie as a) he is always very impartial, honest and articulate compared to most other football managers who blame the ref or luck and b) I’m normally in the car park still trying to move

Eddie Howe is so predictable and boring, it is like he reads the same old script at every interview.

I totally disagree. I think he always gives insight and a raw assessment. He very rarely blames ref errors and if a victory is a hollow one where we don’t play well he calls it. I know a lot of fans of other clubs who say they wish their managers spoke like him.

Some managers are naturals when being interviewed.

Others are probably better staying away or let someone else do it.

...I usually listen to it all as I drive home...but yeah Willo is just blabbering most of the time, and I sometimes think that Eddie has been watching a different match when he concludes the game from his perspective...good job he is AFCB manager and not me I would say!

Well for what it's worth my brother and I walk about 15 to 20 minutes from the ground to the car and then drive to Poole. By the time we get to Charminster and done battle with the yellow buses it's 'Eddie Time'. When Willo and Merrington are on, we talk to each other :). Much as I love Solent's commentary coverage, I do wonder about the Beeb's capacity for employing pundits and never replacing them, is there some sort of life insurance in play. At least with Radio 5 you get some variety.

Despite loving him as a player and when he coached the club on no wages I can’t stand listening to Willo. He is too close to the club to be impartial. Hearing him ‘take the positives’ from every performance gets a little dull.

Agree with this, even during a game his views are questionable. The Josh King off-side goal against Saints he moaned saying "there needs to be clear daylight" and "it's only a six inch toe" (not sure how long his toes are) - yet when the shoe is on the other foot he's a stickler for the law.

I don't know why they just don't get a ultra short summary from Willo at FT and then pass the buck by speaking to a few pre-selected fans who can invariably say what they want without Willo being fearful of upsetting the club...

..but then again, that's where I come in -by chatting to people after the game - so maybe they shouldn't. :D

I totally disagree. I think he always gives insight and a raw assessment. He very rarely blames ref errors and if a victory is a hollow one where we don’t play well he calls it. I know a lot of fans of other clubs who say they wish their managers spoke like him.

Agreed. Articulate, honest and doesn't get carried away either way in victory or defeat. Doesn't provide Donald Trump / Isn Holloway type soundbites which some people don't like.

He is similar to Southgate, but sadly in this country we often take articulate and measured to mean 'boring'.

SOD, on the other hand, was just plain dire.

;