Ref Watch

Merleyfan

Reserves
Just watched MOTD. Roger East’s performance was not littered with fundemental errors unlike some refs we have seen this season.
Saying that there were some poor decisions. Ake climbing over the top of Gayle was patently wrong when Gayle had backed into him as he jumped. Can understand why the taking out of Fraser wasn’t given as a pen but why not when the defender levered himself up with both hands off Francis’s shoulders in the area? He tried to communicate his decisions with demonstrations but didn’t give the fans any confidence that he would make the correct decision. However Sian Massey-Ellis continues to be of of the best flag wavers in the league, not afraid to make a decision rather than wait for the referee and then wave a flag after the referee has blown.

Merleyfan - 25/2/2018 11:01

Just watched MOTD. Roger East’s performance was not littered with fundemental errors unlike some refs we have seen this season.
Saying that there were some poor decisions. Ake climbing over the top of Gayle was patently wrong when Gayle had backed into him as he jumped. Can understand why the taking out of Fraser wasn’t given as a pen but why not when the defender levered himself up with both hands off Francis’s shoulders in the area? He tried to communicate his decisions with demonstrations but didn’t give the fans any confidence that he would make the correct decision. However Sian Massey-Ellis continues to be of of the best flag wavers in the league, not afraid to make a decision rather than wait for the referee and then wave a flag after the referee has blown.

He was ok for most of it, it was just a few instances where we weren't able to play advantage because he'd already blown for a free kick.

Ake gets booked for taking out a player after the ball has gone just a minute or so after Fraser is completely wiped out and nothing is given.

Agree about Sian Massey, I can't recall her getting anything wrong in any of our games.

thought he was poor, pulling us back for free kicks when attacking, Akes "foul" when Gayle backs in (led to the second goal from the resulting corner). Demolition of wee man (that's a foul anywhere else on the pitch.)
Thought the crowds reaction when he eventually awarded us a free kick or two in the second half summed it up.

Pulling play back for an offside against Newcastle when we were breaking away in a favourable position was a particularly poor decision, and there was another instance a little later.

Very weak, NUFC player is summoned to be cautioned but ignores it, Mr East waits and gives up instead of a card for dissent.
Got it wrong for the foul on Fraser and the red card challenge on Mousset. The East Stand assistant needs to be fast tracked, a level above any other official we have suffered this season.

Sian Massey-Ellis is just about the best lino in the league. Up with play and has an opinion. I enjoy having a pop at linos from my east stand seat but she just spoils it by being good. Never worry at all when she is on the line.

Worst ref we've had so far. I can just about stomach a referee making the wrong decisions. But he let the crowd and the players dictate his performance. F***ing pathetic.

Fox27 - 26/2/2018 08:13

Sian Massey-Ellis is just about the best lino in the league. Up with play and has an opinion. I enjoy having a pop at linos from my east stand seat but she just spoils it by being good. Never worry at all when she is on the line.

Agree she always seems to have a competent game whenever I've seen her. She's actually able to keep up with play shock horror, something which some pot bellied refs in the middle struggle badly with.

northstandmark - 26/2/2018 08:58

Fox27 - 26/2/2018 08:13

Agree she always seems to have a competent game whenever I've seen her. She's actually able to keep up with play shock horror, something which some pot bellied refs in the middle struggle badly with.

A damn good lino, who has the advantage of being female.

I think refs actually defer to her decisions; there's no willy waving going on. I often think a ref wants to dominate his two linos, regardless as to if they're making good or bad decisions.

I also wonder if women are just better at making impartial snap judgments.

Another 20 or so of her caliber in the EPL would work wonders.

Sian Massey is an excellent lino. Roger East is abysmal - apart from his all-round ineptitude the episode when the Newcastle player was in Massey's face was disgraceful. It wasn't just the usual moan, he was really aggressive way beyond what you would normally expect - he was intimidatory. East has all the power he needs to deal with it but chose to ignore it - spineless twa t and a dead easy opportunity to exert your authority.

....who assesses these people and does the system work to try and support referees and bring better consistency in performances?

Just need some simple rule enforcement that is the same with each ref, not much to ask is it in a professional sport?

Roger East has now failed to award two stonewall penalties for us. Ryan Fraser on Saturday and thug Shawcross on Callum Wilson at Stoke last season. Beyond incompetent.

Had that Roger East penalty miss been against a bigger club it would be widely talked about with East put under the microscope. Because it's Bournemouth it gets forgotten about and East gets a free pass.

I can understand this penalty miss. I still can't understand the one at Stoke. You will never see a more obvious penalty in your life.

East's performance at the weekend was absolutely atrocious. Luckily there weren't so many "key" decisions that had to be made, otherwise the game could have become really silly.

who assesses these people...

What is PGMOL responsible for?
Formed in 2001 to improve refereeing standards, the PGMOL group officiate across all the Premier League, English Football League (EFL) and Football Association (FA) Competitions – all three organisations fund it.
The training, development and mentoring of 109 referees and 206 assistant referees – run by Managing Director Mike Riley (a former PGMOL referee) and a team of managers and coaches.
The most high profile officials, the 18 full-time professional Select Group referees.
From the start of season 2016/17, 27 Select Group assistant referees who prominently officiate within the Premier League will also become full-time professional match officials.

https://www.premierleague.com/referees

;