Replacing the Manager.

purbeck67

First Team
There are seven clubs beneath us.

From the bottom:

Southampton (sacked manager, no replacement ready)
Everton (sacked manager, no replacement ready)
Leicester (sacked manager, no replacement ready)

Then Notts Forest, who despite having a quick firing owner have stayed with Cooper - and may be rewarded.
Rumour is the owner looked to replace but there wasn't anyone, and Cooper was wanted by Wolves.

Leeds (sacked manager, no replacement ready)

West Ham - stuck by manager.
Wolves - replaced manager in November.

This would seem to suggest that you don't replace unless you have a recruitment plan, and you don't do it in the last third of the season.

Villa win the award for replacement manager of the year. Palace for bringing someone in who knew the setup and AFC Bournemouth for not replacing the manager.

Will clubs learn? Will Dyche (so desperate for a job you take the poisoned chalice) learn?

Will Dyche learn? He's in a very well paid job and failure (if they do get relegated) doesn't seem to be an obstacle to getting a new job. He will join the manager merry go round.

The Scotty Parker saga was a unique situation...we had been trollopsed by a first - half rugby score at Anfield....and for me what he said about the players didn't matter as much as the fact he seemed more entranced in strutting about like Twiggy dodging raindrops in those silly half - military, half dog - show or boat - show cardigans....rather than a tracksuit which might have shown the players he was a tad more serious about matters Boscombe Football.
Then ..it was a panic job to get someone in to beat Wolves....to somehow make the Cherries again somewhat of a ... 'stock' with the 'laughing' prefix removed !
Gary got a miraculous clean sheet... and even a point at Eddie's gaff. ( and later another v Eddies rampant mob at DC ) Then his experimenting went a bit awry for a time with a few bàtterings before the transfers in..but eventually he got a decent engine room crew assembled...and we spluttered through February and March on half - steam....losing to form teams but picking off the ailing outfits.. April Dancing......proper job !

But...I think perhaps Gary should , for maybe another week or two, hide behind a tree in Alum Chine ready to jump out on Dango, Tavs, Keifer and Co if they trundle past with buckets and spades !

I saw a stat yesterday in the Times I think that showed every club that replaced their manager had a better points average after than before except one.

in which case you should replace the manager every week :)
Yea but I think Arsenal, Newcastle and Man City might sway the average for not changing your manager!!

I wasn’t a Parker fan but it would be interesting to know in a parallel universe had he not moaned about the squad, been positive, and stayed how we would have done. I don’t have a clear opinion on this I could go either way tbh.

Yea but I think Arsenal, Newcastle and Man City might sway the average for not changing your manager!!

I wasn’t a Parker fan but it would be interesting to know in a parallel universe had he not moaned about the squad, been positive, and stayed how we would have done. I don’t have a clear opinion on this I could go either way tbh.

It probably would have been a shade or two duller, thats for sure ;)

It probably would have been a shade or two duller, thats for sure ;)
True that. GO doesn’t just deserve credit for keeping us up, he also deserves credit for the style of play he has developed since he took over. In the early matches in charge the style was all about being solid, hard to beat and collecting a regular point or occasionally three ( how important all of those early draws are looking now ! ). As our more creative players returned from injury he started to let the shackles off and also added the right players in the January window for this new, more attacking style of play. As the season draws to a close, we are seeing exciting football, players enjoying what they are being asked to do and everybody pulling in the same direction.
There has been quite a change in our play between his early games in charge, where it was all about steadying the ship and restoring confidence, and where we are now.
If you look at his time in charge as a whole, he must be a very shrewd guy. Great to see us peaking towards the end of a season too !

I would say Parker sacked himself, maybe it was inevitable it might follow but I'm not sure the board would have immediately sacked him after the 9-0 without his outburst
You are right about all of this, but I would also point out that his inappropriate statement after the 9-0 was not his first inappropriate public statement as manager.

;