Revolution ...

The premier league is full of foreign footballers who don't choke at tournaments. They don't have a winter break. The other idea is dreadful - the football league is way more important than international football. Half a dozen boring games a year and we should change the whole system we all love? No.

Not sure I buy media pressure and fans being the main reason for England's poor performances. Pretty much all the big nations are under the spotlight with a similar intensity to ours and that's not prevented them from winning tournaments over the years.

Winter breaks my ar5e.
Clubs would be straight off to play Szechuan Chicken in China to cash in.

MB1980 - 4/9/2016 20:20

Not sure I buy media pressure and fans being the main reason for England's poor performances. Pretty much all the big nations are under the spotlight with a similar intensity to ours and that's not prevented them from winning tournaments over the years.

I disagree. Anyone who has watched England for the last 30+ years can literally see the tepid fearful football with no one willing to take any creative risk whatsoever. The first priority for England players is not to try and be the guy that makes them win it's to not be the guy that is the reason they lose. Different players different managers same story. All other major European nations have failed when the expectation has been highest I.e. the WC after they won. (Other than Germany)

Apparently the players aren't good enough but then loads of them have won domestic and European honours.

Apparently its the way our youth set up is and the lack of English players in the leagues. Then Wales go and get to the semi final.

Apparently the players get paid too much and don't care - more than players from other countries?

Ex players who have experienced it say it's down to the pressure and expectation but what would they know?

Is that the ex-players who played under enormous pressure for their clubs week in week out? It might be a combination of many things, but you seem to be completely ruling out that the players might be in some way to blame.

Watched the game and thought Lallana deserved his goal as he did try a few shots at goal.

We snatched the victory in time added on after the four minutes of injury time on the TV screen had been passed.

They missed a good chance when one of their players missed the low cross which just needed a slight touch to put it into the net.

We needed a goal so surprised Vardy wasn't brought on.

RobTrent - 4/9/2016 21:04

Is that the ex-players who played under enormous pressure for their clubs week in week out? It might be a combination of many things, but you seem to be completely ruling out that the players might be in some way to blame.

I personally don't think the pressure that players are under with their clubs compares to England. Of course players are responsible for their performances but the one constant over all those years is not the players. Look at the tweets tonight from Henry Winter, Kristian Sturt etc. They are gutted. Their stories went up in smoke when Lallana scored. They'd sharpened their knives and can't even stick it to Allardyce. It's not the players that actively want England to fail.

International football is irrelevant now. It used to be the highest level of the game, but now it isn't even close.

Bournemouth would qualify for the World Cup if we were put into England's group.

Has Winter tweeted "I'm gutted"?

I think you're becoming a bit desperate now. There are loads of people who want England to fail, but to blame them for some years of abject performances doesn't make sense.

abts - 4/9/2016 21:34

International football is irrelevant now. It used to be the highest level of the game, but now it isn't even close.

Bournemouth would qualify for the World Cup if we were put into England's group.

:110:

I didn't see the full game but the parts I did, we looked ok. We battered them away from home, we very rarely looked like conceding, it took lots of defensive blocks to keep us out earlier. Lots to work on of course but Sam isn't going to make us amazing in the first game!

I do get a bit annoyed at those that write us off and say that it was terrible! Not true!

"We snatched the victory in time added on after the four minutes of injury time on the TV screen had been passed." - I loved this bit the most. Their keeper wasted time by getting treatment for a mystery knock, just after the Walcott goal had been disallowed, this was the added on time at the end of added on time when we scored. Sweet!

We've improved since the Euro's at least, as we won this time!

RobTrent - 4/9/2016 21:51

Has Winter tweeted "I'm gutted"?

I think you're becoming a bit desperate now. There are loads of people who want England to fail, but to blame them for some years of abject performances doesn't make sense.

I am not desperate at all, in fact I agree with abts about the relative importance of international football. I guess we'll just continue to slate players and managers for the next 50 years even if they win. Put their crying kids on the front page of the paper if we lose and talk of the national disgrace of a player showing off the house he's bought for his mother. See if it works.

We were pretty poor post-1970 up until Gazzas tears, and I don't think many people really gave England players that much of a hard time then. You need a new scapegoat.

Well I did say 30 years rob, which is how long I've been watching them. I'm not sure Bobby Robson would have agreed with you about them not copping any grief before Gazza's tears. I'm basing my opinion on the actual football they've played over this period. They have looked fearful the whole time. Have you ever seen a team of pros collapse like they did against Iceland? If you think a lack of quality caused that or that Roy forgot to tell them not to be sh*t before the game then it's up to you but I think it was clear as day what caused it.

That they are poo? Well maybe not poo but nowhere near good enough to win a major tournament
Most of our internationals are made to look better by the truly world class players around them. And we don't have a single really top class player, like a Ronaldo/Messi/ Bale even

Those aren't the only options, but you seem determined to absolve players & manager of any responsibility so I guess its best left there! :)

I'm not trying to absolve the players of blame but I don't see what good it does to abuse them every time they fail. They may be sh*t drd but they beat all of the euro semi finalists last time they played them so maybe they are just sh*t at handling the pressure that comes with playing for England - which is my point. People want to play championship players because apparently they care more - I'm sure they will handle the Pressure just fine, ha.

So there's a direct correlation between no pressure and success!?

(Well, I couldn't leave it there!).

;