Ryan Christie

What's the point of all the ifs and buts about the WIN v Derby..

...I could understand if we were chewing the fat about not beating Liverpool in the 1927 FA Cup game when we drew 1-1 and then lost the replay 4-1.
We should have won the first game at DC.
..if Charlie Smith had passed to our prolific scorer Ronnie Eyre in the 64th minute...Ron was unmarked with only Elisha Scott the Scouse keeper to beat...but Charlie, the dolt, passed it back to Dossie Miles who blasted it over the bar. ..plus the manager f√cked up as Frank Stringfellow and Jack Hayward were carrying injuries ....and he should have played Doug Thomson as a false 9 to take the pressure off Eyre... We had scored earlier with a Frankie Taylor goal just after half- time...and really should have done them on the day !

oooh, look at you and your false 9's :D.

you're right though, over time you generally get what you deserve.

I thought he started out wide in his first few games with Billing, Pearson and Lerma central, but no doubt you can prove I’m wrong!

Eitherway I think he’s been kept out wide for a reason and I can’t see any immediate reason to change it, espeically with Cantwell signing.

Think he might have come on as a sub first match out wide and for his first start, played centrally... but not sure.

Think he might have come on as a sub first match out wide and for his first start, played centrally... but not sure.
Yes he replaced Brooks out wide in his first sub appearance vs Derby. His first two starts were vs QPR and Peterborough where he played centrally with Brooks wide right. If you believe he was signed to play on the right then you essentially believe that he was signed to either play ahead of Brooks or to rotate with him. Parker was always going to play both when fit.

I would agree with Neils earlier post, I would be tempted to put him centrally but his finishing would be the main mark against that. We lack goals as it is

I would agree with Neils earlier post, I would be tempted to put him centrally but his finishing would be the main mark against that. We lack goals as it is
With Lowe on the right we would be replacing the goals that Billing would provide though. And we would actually have a creative player in the middle who doesn’t go missing. Christie has 2 goals in his last 4 games anyway btw, we’re not talking L Cook levels of goal threat here.

Christie may be a better player in the centre but right now the team needs him out wide. The balance he brings to the side when he's out there isn't available from anyone else currently fit.

To be fair, Lowe's last appearance out there was his best but I still think he's better in central areas where he offers a goal threat. So when we switch up the tactics and bring the wingers in narrower to get more players in the box, for example.

Until Brooks is available again, or we bring in another player naturally suited to that role. Christie has to be the man.

Christie may be a better player in the centre but right now the team needs him out wide. The balance he brings to the side when he's out there isn't available from anyone else currently fit.

To be fair, Lowe's last appearance out there was his best but I still think he's better in central areas where he offers a goal threat. So when we switch up the tactics and bring the wingers in narrower to get more players in the box, for example.

Until Brooks is available again, or we bring in another player naturally suited to that role. Christie has to be the man.
Does the team need him out wide? I like the balance of having a right footer out there. Yesterday in the late stages Lowe beat his man on the outside and dinked a lovely ball into the box that we nearly scored from. First time I can remember one of our wingers attacking a full back down the outside this season. Just think Christie is wasted out there, it severely stifles his ability to be creative.

Nearly scored in the opening few minutes of the second half. Perhaps the only positive move of the half.

Really don’t understand the need to jump on people after team performances like that. If we could clone Christie and have one on the right and one centrally we’d have plenty more points on the board. Judging him on one poor 45 minute team performance is daft.

Nearly scored in the opening few minutes of the second half. Perhaps the only positive move of the half.

Really don’t understand the need to jump on people after team performances like that. If we could clone Christie and have one on the right and one centrally we’d have plenty more points on the board. Judging him on one poor 45 minute team performance is daft.

But he's played centrally a few times and not done well most of the time. The question is should he play centrally?

But he's played centrally a few times and not done well most of the time. The question is should he play centrally?

Different horses for different courses. Against some opposition or different "moments of the game" I don't see it as a bad option.

For example last night, Cantwell was struggling to get into the game and was on a booking. Was bringing on Lowe for an additional attacking threat out wide where he has scored a few times and having Christie central really that bad an option?

If David Brooks was available, you could play both Brooks and Christie rather than having one on the bench etc.

Personally, due to his work rate, his high pressing and his link-up play he's a perfectly good option to play as a number 10. I certainly don't see a poor team performance as any form of indication to challenge that thought.

How’s it going lads. I’ve never signed up to a different club’s forum before but there’s been so many conflicting opinions on Christie I felt the need to.

You’ve got yourselves an outstanding player if coached well and instructed to temper his long range shooting habits.

Last season with Neil Lennon as Celtic manager it seemed Ryan was instructed to shoot on sight.. it didn’t go well and he ended up the fans’ whipping boy as a result. A lot of accusations were thrown at him (by myself included) that he had gotten too big for his boots. His body language seemed to reflect that he thought he was too big for Celtic etc.

Going into this season I said, against the general consensus, that I thought Christie could be a great player for us with a new manager coming in who’s actually qualified to manage the club. Very few shared this view.. soured by our dire 20/21 season (recency bias and all that). From the first whistle this season Christie has been outstanding for us. He’s skilful, extremely energetic and hardworking and overall just a very cultured footballer.. easy on the eye. It didn’t take me long to declare that getting him signed on a new deal should be the number 1 priority of this transfer window.

Nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes.. but I get the feeling Christie wasn’t offered the contract I believe we should have offered. Our top top earners at the club are on £25k a week by all accounts. I thought we should have offered him that plus a £2m signing bonus or something to that effect. Since he’s left he’s said he’s always fancied a move to England though and a part of me is definitely happy to see the back of him as we now have a squad full of players who really want to be here. Ntcham, Christie, Ajer and Edouard were all top top drawer players when on form but some of their attitudes did stink at times (never Ajer’s by the way. Mark my words he will be excellent at Brentford. Their recruitment has been top notch).

Stuart Armstrong went to Southampton and has done well and I can say without hesitation that Christie is easily the better player. I’m pretty shocked he’s gone to the Championship but I think with Parker, Christie and some of your other talent like Lerma, Brooks, Solanke and Cahill I reckon ye will go back up this season.. I’ve stuck ye into my acca anyway!

To summarise, with respect, Christie will walk into your starting 11. You’ve signed a cracking player who will not be with you next season if you fail to gain promotion I would imagine. The man has an endless gas tank and, like I say, is a very cultured footballer who makes things look very easy at times. I’ll remember him fondly and one performance in particular sticks out when he was absolutely outstanding the night we beat RB Leipzig at Parkhead.

side note.. He’s at his best as a central/attacking midfielder but he has also played LW, RW and up front. He’s never a striker and he’s always been a bit wasted on the right but this season he was thrown in on the left for the first time I can remember and he did excellent out there.

Good luck this season. No, seriously. I wanna click my acca ;)
Just came to say I told you so! No humility here haha. Glad he's doing well. Some have wondered why we let him go for such a low fee. Simple - he wanted to leave and only had a year left on his deal. There's no doubt he was wanted at Celtic.

Just came to say I told you so! No humility here haha. Glad he's doing well. Some have wondered why we let him go for such a low fee. Simple - he wanted to leave and only had a year left on his deal. There's no doubt he was wanted at Celtic.

Good player, gives 100% every game.

If his shooting was a little more accurate we might be promoted by now. :grinning:

Celtic supporters told us so about his shooting too tbf. Good player though. I'm not sure he'll get a move to the PL if we don't get promoted though.

;