safe standing/railed seating

would you like to see railed seating at the Vitality Stadium

• yes

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • no

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
I agree with an area for safe standing as long as there is a strict no standing rule in place elsewhere. Some folks can't stand for long and to have people in front of them standing is not on.
Premier League figures, based on video evidence, show that 70% of fans stand at some point during the game.
Games ebb and flow, and at periods of heightened excitement is when the majority stand.
The key is to make provision in safestanding areas for all those who wish to stand, but it is my concern that allowing a safe standing will lead to over zealous clampdowns elsewhere.
There is a problem with people being forced to stand, but if they implement it properly there should be no further problems.
It seems to have worked well in Celtic and Germany, so why can't it work here?

Bump,

We're running this until the season has finished and so far have had nearly 300 responses.
A good place to have your say.

The House will chunter on, vote and feel that they have made a contribution. Next season same old, with respect to those who want to stand, a minority will rule the day for the majority.

Damn politicians! Get on and sort out Brexit and leave Football in house!
Most of the prats in Parliament are rugby and golf fans or dogging site afficionados!
Who wants Comrade Corbins troops or the Rees-Mogg bufoon extraordinaire and friends making decisions about our leisure pursuits when they are incapable of convincing Question time audiences about simple things like car-parking at Hospitals.

Last edited:
Those who want to stand forcing the rest to stand in my view.

Personal opinion, but I see it as almost exactly the opposite of that.

At the moment, if a row of people stand up infront of you, you have little choice but to stand up as well, regardless of your age or well-being.

If those people insistent on standing have somewhere to do so (and we're probably talking about a couple of thousand rail seats in a 20,000 seater stadium), they won't be standing in front of you.

Those who want to stand forcing the rest to stand in my view.
The whole point of safe standing is to move those who wish to stand into an area designated for it, therefore leaving those who wish to sit with an unobscured view.
Stadia will not become all standing because a section is converted to rail seating.

I think hba1 has been misunderstood twice in a row there. I understood his point as being that it would be a good thing because the majority are being forced to stand currently because a minority of people want to stand - presumably referring to away games.

It's a fair point and one of the biggest reasons for bringing it in. I personally don't think that it is a minority that want to stand at away games but that is besides the point.

Without pre judging any debate in Parliament I honestly cannot see either the Government or the Football Authorities moving an inch towards the idea of any safe standing areas.

We will then be back to where we are now where, mostly at away games seen as a divine right, fans will stand forcing others if they are behind them to stand etc....

The fan base at games has changed for the better with more family groups and ladies, sometimes alone feeling safe, than in previous years. I was at the Liverpool game away in apparently the first row with unrestricted views.The restriction in the end, not just for me but the 2 kids in my row under 6 standing on the seats, was my fellow supporters who stood as from row 2. Behind me was a guy with crutches and one who struggled with the stairs with a walking stick. Could we see the goal? I will let you guess.

AFCB's ticket office had an ambition that the first ten rows would be sitting only. It didn't get off the blocks. For Burnley I am in the block that the club has designated sitting because of the disabled supporters being in the same block. I expect those around me will sit but those in other blocks at the same level will stand restricting our view. With I suggest not a hint of concern for others.

The audience has moved on it is not unreasonable, disregarding the Health and Safety issue, to want to sit in some degree of comfort to watch a football match.

If Parliament and the Football authorities do not change their mind and safe standing will not be an option will those who stand, as if by right, accept the decision and sit thus allowing others who actually want to sit to sit, and not stand ?I don't think so.

We have various discrimination criteria to follow not just at football matches but in society in general but consideration to others often physical or medical needs is not shown by some football fans to their fellow fans.

Just a personal view and despite my efforts to try and sit in the front at away games it doesn't always work so I am forced to stand because others stand etc.

Without pre judging any debate in Parliament I honestly cannot see either the Government or the Football Authorities moving an inch towards the idea of any safe standing areas.

We will then be back to where we are now where, mostly at away games seen as a divine right, fans will stand forcing others if they are behind them to stand etc....

The fan base at games has changed for the better with more family groups and ladies, sometimes alone feeling safe, than in previous years. I was at the Liverpool game away in apparently the first row with unrestricted views.The restriction in the end, not just for me but the 2 kids in my row under 6 standing on the seats, was my fellow supporters who stood as from row 2. Behind me was a guy with crutches and one who struggled with the stairs with a walking stick. Could we see the goal? I will let you guess.

AFCB's ticket office had an ambition that the first ten rows would be sitting only. It didn't get off the blocks. For Burnley I am in the block that the club has designated sitting because of the disabled supporters being in the same block. I expect those around me will sit but those in other blocks at the same level will stand restricting our view. With I suggest not a hint of concern for others.

The audience has moved on it is not unreasonable, disregarding the Health and Safety issue, to want to sit in some degree of comfort to watch a football match.

If Parliament and the Football authorities do not change their mind and safe standing will not be an option will those who stand, as if by right, accept the decision and sit thus allowing others who actually want to sit to sit, and not stand ?I don't think so.

We have various discrimination criteria to follow not just at football matches but in society in general but consideration to others often physical or medical needs is not shown by some football fans to their fellow fans.

Just a personal view and despite my efforts to try and sit in the front at away games it doesn't always work so I am forced to stand because others stand etc.
The decision by parliament has to be based on evidence and fact, not on the decisions based on lies after Hillsborough. They also have to apply the same legislation across all sports using the same venues.
Safe standing areas would hopefully move a large percentage of those wishing to stand to a communal area and away from those who wish to sit. I would expect a stricter enforcement against those standing in non-standing areas to follow, further making it easier for those wishing to sit.
Safe standing areas will be at the back of sections, not at the front. They'll be adjustable in size to cater for demand, and in UEFA competition will be all seater.
I fully share your concerns about the current situation, and at 6'4" I'm always concerned about my standing, but by providing safe standing areas fans will have a choice to stand safely in a controlled environment and in so doing, improve the spectacle for those wishing to sit.

Barry Sheerman MP (Hudds) throws in the racism card.

Is the Minister aware that many of us have fought for years for family-friendly football and some of us have deep reservations about standing areas, where there might be a lot of young men, who like to shout, and sometimes shout racist abuse—I am not saying all of them do. Dean Hoyle, the wonderful owner of Huddersfield Town, has his reservations and so do I.

Clueless...

Fair play to Swayne who at least asked a pertinent question.

Clueless bellends are deciding this based on the possible media reaction - they didn't care about fan safety before and don't care much about it now beyond the headlines that it could generate.

This reply from Mims Davies, my MP is almost exactly the same as I've seen from others. They all seem to throw in the name of a club they 'support' and they actually want tougher action on standing.

These people are so out of touch its untrue. Apparently its only ever dangerous to stand in the top two divisions in England but ok everywhere else in the world.

"Thank you for taking the time to be in touch and to let me know about this meeting.

Unfortunately, due to parliamentary business at the time of the APPG, I was unable to attend, however, I have looked into the points that you have made.

I understand that currently the Government believes that all-seater stadiums are the best means to ensure the safety and security of spectators at football grounds in England and Wales. All-seater stadiums have helped improve crowd management, crowd behaviour and policing. They provide better and more comfortable facilities to enjoy football matches, which has helped encourage inclusivity and diversity amongst those attending.

The Government is continuing to monitor the issue of spectator accommodation and the use of safe standing where it is permitted, including at Celtic, but Ministers are not persuaded by the case put forward to re-introduce standing accommodation in grounds in the top two divisions covered by the all-seater policy, at present.

I also think there are other ways of dealing with persistent standing, aside from introducing safe standing. For example, I would like to see the regulations to deal with persistent standing enforced more consistently.

Having worked alongside Ministers, including the Sports Minister, at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, I know that they take these matters incredibly seriously. Likewise, as a keen supporter of Eastleigh Football Club and the important role that it plays within our community, I too recognise the importance of ensuring the safety of all participants both now and in the future, and will continue to work alongside them in the coming months and years.

Thank you again for taking the time to be in touch over this matter, and if there is anything further that you would like me to take up with Ministers on your behalf, then please don’t hesitate to contact me".

The types of people who become politicians are (in the main) the type of people who started going to football after Murdoch invented the game in 1992. The same guys that priced the general public out of the game the top level, and helped drive local clubs to the wall. This is not their game

The actual football authorities would be behind safe standing if it wasn't for the Hillsborough support groups. All the money is in telly and exec boxes. They should be encouraging the clubs to sell tickets cheaper and get more people in. The big sell across the world isn't the quality of the football, it's the atmosphere at the games, that led to money which increases the standard of player, but many greats would prefer Spain, Italy or France because pace is slower, climate and language

;