Season Preview -Part 3. The AFCB verdict.

I think it definitely WAS our strongest ever squad. Obviously, injuries played a key part, but the most worrying thing was how feeble and spiritless we've looked for most of the season.

I've no idea why that is, but I suspect that behind the scenes there have been some serious issues, with the Fraser Factor undoubtedly causing a real stink.

The truth will out one day, I'm sure. I just feel bad for Eddie, seeing his work unravel in this sorry manner.

That's because like Boris, Eddie gave us the spin that this was the strongest squad ever.
It's what people want to hear.
The FACT is, in December 2018 I predicted this would be our last season at this level. That got a great response didn't it.
I find it easier to just tow the party line now and pretend all is well.
Those who think we will be financially fine by flogging a few players before next season really need to sharpen their brain a little and do some sums.

Al how much is player sales would we need to be a little more comfortable? Ake will go for around £35 million, then combined Wilson and King probably £40million that’s without Lerma, and anyone else that goes?

Al how much is player sales would we need to be a little more comfortable? Ake will go for around £35 million, then combined Wilson and King probably £40million that’s without Lerma, and anyone else that goes?

As I understand, the parachute payment is around 55%, so that is around £40M.
I have no clue as to what each player that we retain will take as a pay cut for relegation.
There will obviously be debts to be satisfied before we commence next season.

If we are going to sell £80M ish worth of players, they will still have to be replaced.
What budget we have for that is in the hands of the board of course.

I can't imagine us making a serious challenge without spending a large portion of any player sales.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-p...-how-much-teams-get/ndpbojgz6szj1ojgn3p7jlbuo

That's because like Boris, Eddie gave us the spin that this was the strongest squad ever.
The FACT is, in December 2018 I predicted this would be our last season at this level. That got a great response didn't it.
Those who think we will be financially fine by flogging a few players before next season really need to sharpen their brain a little and do some sums.
Some backtracking there, not even mentioning your failed prediction and the bit about towing the party line? You’ve never done that, ;-)

As I understand, the parachute payment is around 55%, so that is around £40M.
I have no clue as to what each player that we retain will take as a pay cut for relegation.
There will obviously be debts to be satisfied before we commence next season.

If we are going to sell £80M ish worth of players, they will still have to be replaced.
What budget we have for that is in the hands of the board of course.

I can't imagine us making a serious challenge without spending a large portion of any player sales.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-p...-how-much-teams-get/ndpbojgz6szj1ojgn3p7jlbuo

Comparing these 2 posts together sums it up. It becomes hard to judge how financially fine or financially screwed we would be, and how strong we might be on the pitch, without knowing what's going on in Max's head. Because it will up to him ultimately as the shareholder to decide how much of the player sales he claws back into his coffers to repay his debt to himself, and how much he allows the club to recruit anew.

Eddie built the title winning squad for easily <10m, to his indefinite credit, and I think we'll be in the same miss-fits and randoms recruiting situation again. My personal preference would be to use a majority of the income to pay down the books. I doubt we'll be able or willing to pay top dollar for the best Championship prospects. But that might just suit Eddie, should he stay.

Regards the strongest squad - I don't think there's much disputing it's talent on paper? There's a reason the touted player sales are being quoted in the press for the prices we've seen. It's because there's a lot of individual talent.

One large problem has been that we've never got that squad on paper out onto the pitch, or strung together the same side twice. More on the off-field issues that have obviously occured might come out in time.

Meanwhile, Lorenzo Davids is playing for Hoofdklasse in Holland, which sounds like some kind of upmarket Tony Pulis team.

My mistake, that's the name of the league. Maybe this explains why Dutch footballers are so good on the ball. They have a special league where they send all those prone to hoofing.

So you predicted relegation... Then predicted we'd be fine afterwards?

I did the lottery in December 2018 and those exact numbers came up two weeks ago. Aren't I great at predicting lottery numbers.

Meanwhile, Lorenzo Davids is playing for Hoofdklasse in Holland, which sounds like some kind of upmarket Tony Pulis team.

My mistake, that's the name of the league. Maybe this explains why Dutch footballers are so good on the ball. They have a special league where they send all those prone to hoofing.

Ha ha, very good !

League 2, now the Hoofers And Roofers League, sponsored by Toolstation.

What could League 1 be ?

;