Sheff Utd - Bias Buster - Numbers and Stuff

Lyon were dreadful, that can't be understated. Last seasons dips in form mostly coincided with Brooks not being available. Think of any stand out game from last year and he's in the team. I completely agree we shouldn't be so reliant on him but I think we have been, especially with quick counters where we were so ruthless last year, as with his first touch which baits the opposition in to go for the ball then breezes past them in to space and we're off. I still don't know if that's on purpose or accidental, I can't tell.

I assume you're pointing towards Kilkenny with the merit suggestion, but the truth is he would have been out muscled all game considering our other front 3 were.

I guess what I'm saying is why do we have these dips in form when players like Brooks aren't available? Is it because they are that fundamental in our play? No because we have had periods of success before these players, we just played to the strengths of different players.

Do players like Brooks elevate us to another level? Yes, when used correctly. But we must adapt back when they are not in the team.

I think that any of Solanke , Ibe, Ofoborh or Kilkenny merited the opportunity to be brought on in the second half when it was clear that our front 3 were not getting any joy and looking laboured. Predominantly there should have been a change in system to stretch their defence but instead as always we carried on looking to scrape a 1-0 win.

Great work for the analysis. Just been speaking to my brother, who is always there for home games. He said the front three were just a disaster, basically. Thought Wilson could have been hooked at half time, that none of the three put enough work in to get the ball either. And he said he almost felt like it didn't matter enough to enough of the players, like they felt they just needed to turn up. But he did also say....its just one game...so no need to be too depressed!
It kind of confirm my impressions....the three attacking players had more than enough about them to create space and stretch their defensive unit but just didn't perform.

The surprise to me is why our full backs struggle so much with the wing back role. On paper, our formation should have worked really well against how they set up. Sure we know the midfield lacks creativity and King, Fraser and Wilson had poor games - but that would still have been the case regardless of formation.

You’d think with us having attacking FB’s they would take to playing at WB with ease. It’s been proven anything but that. I can remember ages ago Warren Cummings saying he preferred FB as he could get further forward! At WB you are responsible for the entire flank and play too passive both going forward and defensively.

Interestingly the best success we’ve had with the 3-4-3 has been in victories over Arsenal and Chelsea. On both occasions we played Wee Man at wing back. Perhaps then, if you want the WB role to work, you are better off playing natural wingers rather than confused full backs.
why are so many people calling Billing ‘Billings’ that’s what I want to know
Sounded like Willo was calling him Billinge

Great work for the analysis. Just been speaking to my brother, who is always there for home games. He said the front three were just a disaster, basically. Thought Wilson could have been hooked at half time, that none of the three put enough work in to get the ball either. And he said he almost felt like it didn't matter enough to enough of the players, like they felt they just needed to turn up. But he did also say....its just one game...so no need to be too depressed!
It kind of confirm my impressions....the three attacking players had more than enough about them to create space and stretch their defensive unit but just didn't perform.
Bit of a drama queen,your brother:sorry::whist:

The most telling stat I think is the comparison between tackles made by Billing&Lerma, and the front 3.
That is just WAY off.
My son's U11 coach told them yesterday "The striker is the first line of defence".
Do our guys know this?

I went into the numbers looking for something, but realise that I have to try and treat the formation/selection with the same yay, so will try going forward to answer the questions being asked. I'll spend the nest seven moths trying to produce similar very quickly, so the things I see whinged (or praised) about on here and twitter will be what I analyse

;