Should Howe have stayed?

Eddie clearly needs a break. He has gone to refresh his batteries, as he has clearly lost his way, and is stale. 7 week pre-season is to short to freshen up. He will be back by the end of next year, fully refreshed and will take us on to more glory. For that reason it is good that he has gone although it is temporary.

Many forget, that on 4 previous occasions he has left the club only to return. Now he has left for a 5th time, who on here really believes it will be permanent break.

I wanted him to stay and give it a crack at coming straight back up ,but obviously if it was affecting his health,then no he had to leave for his own sanity.
I'm guessing had we stayed up by one point though,he would still have been here next season.
He obviously fancies a new start in the Prem,and knows that sooner or later a job will come up with another of the "other 14"

It’s a poorly worded question really. Did I want him to stay? Yes. Should he have been sacked? No

Should he have stayed? Not if it was affecting his health or any other personal reasons that only he can answer.

It’s a poorly worded question really. Did I want him to stay? Yes. Should he have been sacked? No

Should he have stayed? Not if it was affecting his health or any other personal reasons that only he can answer.

:)

Strangely I didn’t have enough characters to word it like that. But I agree with your answers.

I thought he would have stayed given the “intent” shown by Max. Having said all that, as much as we have to be grateful for and memories created, we have just been relegated, playing the worst football for some time with what should have been one of the strongest squads we have ever had.

We came back from the break in very poor form and looked ill prepared. Why may that have been? Some of the players looked disinterested and may well have spent the break seeking out their next move.

We can speculate but Eddie had an old style manager role, he picked the players he wanted to buy so should have been able to work with them effectively. Perhaps the conversation was along the lines of having less say in that, who knows?

We have so much to thank him for but lets not lose sight of the fact almost every other PL owner would have sacked him on more than one occasion. I’m glad Max didn’t, it shows some integrity but a “new manager bounce“ may have saved us This season.

Eddie’s stock has dropped, his reputation reduced in the eyes of the outside world. Whether we believe that or not is irrelevant, managers with teams “full“ of internationals have to take some of the responsibility when they don’t perform.

So much money was spent on trying to keep us in the PL that we had no money for the legacy. Who knows if that was the right thing or not. Only time will tell.

The time for a change was coming, its just a bit sooner than I expected.

If the question was would you have wanted Eddie to stay then for me the answer would be yes. Was relishing the challenge of a return to the football we played in the 2 years we were in the Championship with the spine of the team being made up of Ramsdale, Stacy, Mepham, Cook, Cook, Brooks, Danjuma, Solanke and Surridge - youth and hunger with Eddie at the helm was something to look forward to.

However the question is should he have stayed, and not knowing any of the facts behind the decision by him or the club to leave then I can't see how we can comment. Anything that is said is based on speculation and conjecture and therefore counts for little.

What does count now is trying to retain that young talent that we have, strengthen it from our youth team and few judicious purchases from the lower leagues and having real go next season with whoever is recruited for the role......

...although a part of me is still awaiting the 3rd part of this trilogy - The Return of the King !

The more I think about it, the more reconciled I am that it was the right decision for all concerned, possibly, but not necessarily, for football reasons but more so for human reasons. Eddie poured his heart and soul into the club and the thing in his own open letter that really struck a chord with me, is in addressing the fans he says he will now be joining us willing the club onto success.

So all the hurt and pain we felt from relegation, he felt too, but magnified as he felt responsible for it. He must feel he couldn’t have done more and it wasn’t enough. He looked devastated, it's not like when guns for hire managers get relegated, this is Eddie’s first set back and it relates to a club he cares about even more than we do.

I cannot see in those circumstances that he would be in the right frame of mind to throw himself immediately into a Championship campaign. I would like to think that he and the Board examined the idea of him taking 6-12 months away to go around Europe and learn more about his craft whilst recharging his batteries, but that would be an invidious position to leave a temporary manager in.

I genuinely cannot imagine how I will feel when and if Eddie turn up on TV doing press briefings and talking about his new club, let alone imagine him coming back to the Vitality in the away dugout. But I hope he does what is right for him and puts himself and family first for a while. Until then, he can come and sit with the fans any time home or away.

The more I think about it, the more reconciled I am that it was the right decision for all concerned, possibly, but not necessarily, for football reasons but more so for human reasons. Eddie poured his heart and soul into the club and the thing in his own open letter that really struck a chord with me, is in addressing the fans he says he will now be joining us willing the club onto success.

So all the hurt and pain we felt from relegation, he felt too, but magnified as he felt responsible for it. He must feel he couldn’t have done more and it wasn’t enough. He looked devastated, it's not like when guns for hire managers get relegated, this is Eddie’s first set back and it relates to a club he cares about even more than we do.

I cannot see in those circumstances that he would be in the right frame of mind to throw himself immediately into a Championship campaign. I would like to think that he and the Board examined the idea of him taking 6-12 months away to go around Europe and learn more about his craft whilst recharging his batteries, but that would be an invidious position to leave a temporary manager in.

I genuinely cannot imagine how I will feel when and if Eddie turn up on TV doing press briefings and talking about his new club, let alone imagine him coming back to the Vitality in the away dugout. But I hope he does what is right for him and puts himself and family first for a while. Until then, he can come and sit with the fans any time home or away.
Lovely post. As time has passed I feel pretty much the same way. I would not have wanted Eddie to stay, killing himself trying to undo the damage done.

I hope he goes away and rediscovers his love for management again. He surely knows he will always be welcomed back here with open arms should the stars align in the future.

For now we just have to make do with the best replacement we can find. Nobody will ever replace Eddie in our hearts and memories. I hope the board get this next decision right !

An ex-player told
He would obviously have had to take a pay decrease to manage in the Championship and the cynic in me questions whether perhaps that was an issue that could not be agreed?

It is obvious that player sales will be taking place so this would have given Eddie a chance to plot promotion with a younger but still half decent squad.

As other posters have said 'mutual consent' usually means 'sacked' so would be interesting to know whether or not that was the case in this situation.
me money and salary was THE stumbling block.
I find it hard to believe that Eddie is that shallow.
Have stated before that I think exhaustion / stress and family issues (keeping them happy) were major factors

I thought he would have stayed given the “intent” shown by Max. Having said all that, as much as we have to be grateful for and memories created, we have just been relegated, playing the worst football for some time with what should have been one of the strongest squads we have ever had.

We came back from the break in very poor form and looked ill prepared. Why may that have been? Some of the players looked disinterested and may well have spent the break seeking out their next move.

We can speculate but Eddie had an old style manager role, he picked the players he wanted to buy so should have been able to work with them effectively. Perhaps the conversation was along the lines of having less say in that, who knows?

We have so much to thank him for but lets not lose sight of the fact almost every other PL owner would have sacked him on more than one occasion. I’m glad Max didn’t, it shows some integrity but a “new manager bounce“ may have saved us This season.

Eddie’s stock has dropped, his reputation reduced in the eyes of the outside world. Whether we believe that or not is irrelevant, managers with teams “full“ of internationals have to take some of the responsibility when they don’t perform.

So much money was spent on trying to keep us in the PL that we had no money for the legacy. Who knows if that was the right thing or not. Only time will tell.

The time for a change was coming, its just a bit sooner than I expected.

:clap:

Putting things into how I would have felt (if 30+ years younger) and had worked innumerable hours every week trying to run a football club. If things had gone well I could have maybe recovered from the mental exhaustion and carried on, but given the way things went on and off the pitch I think I would have said, 'That's enough for now, I'm struggling and have to think of my and my family's health and well being. I'm taking a break. Right decision as far as I'm concerned.

An ex-player told

me money and salary was THE stumbling block.
I find it hard to believe that Eddie is that shallow.
Have stated before that I think exhaustion / stress and family issues (keeping them happy) were major factors

Plus football is not the same at the moment and he didn’t enjoy playing behind closed doors, not that would be a major issue.

We don’t know what was said between the owner/board and Eddie.

It was mentioned it was a joint decision to part ways.

Bang on correct decision....about half of the players had given up on him and the club..apart from the odd shop window performance. Divided camp ...No Good.

;