Simon Francis - Tommy Elphick

billythekid

UTC Legend
The paras below are from Simon Francis on bringing ex players back/keeping them in a job at the club.

“We are such a unique football club. We’re different to bigger clubs that are in the Premier League, that might not bring ex-players back because they don’t need to.

“But I think this certain football club is so big on that kind of thing and how important that is.

“And Eddie (Howe) started that really. A lot of his staff and people he wanted in and around him played for the football club.

“I think it adds such value and it’s very important. I think we’ll go on to do it for years to come.”

Yes, but are they really good at their job. Not saying they aren't but quality is what we need not just loyalty.

I'm sure Elphick is too, but heard several people compliment what a decent, down to earth bloke he is. No airs or graces.

And I expect they are very good or potential to be very good coaches too. Can't imagine the new board/mgmt would keep them in their current capacities out of sentiment.

Yes, but are they really good at their job. Not saying they aren't but quality is what we need not just loyalty.
That’s slightly disingenuous. Subjective I know, but having intensively studied ‘accuracy of cone positioning and placement’, this across a broad spectrum of games/clubs, we’re unquestionably in the top quartile and, I would argue, in the top ten.

It certainly wasn’t Eddie that started this, it’s been going on for my whole lifetime and in my opinion the reason Eddie didn’t take us further. Break the mould and let’s see what happens, plenty of ex players to bring back if it doesn’t work out

Good to keep a balance. Keeping on a few of coaches from last season will help Andoni understand the players he has inherited.

Need to understand that we have a clear structure and youth set up so need that consistency in the younger age groups. Likes of Coops, Connell and Cummings are valuable to keep this style consistent. Andoni is just the head coach and not like the Eddie role

It certainly wasn’t Eddie that started this, it’s been going on for my whole lifetime and in my opinion the reason Eddie didn’t take us further. Break the mould and let’s see what happens, plenty of ex players to bring back if it doesn’t work out

He took us from League Two to the Premier League, how far was he suppose to take us?

At a bigger club those same coaches have taken a relegation threatened side to the Champions League in twelve months. So I think they’ve got a bit about them?

Bringing old players into the club's backroom staff, to keep the 'DNA' as some like to call it is actually a vital part of the ongoing stability of the club... It is recognised as an assessment criteria in the academy grading also...

So all those wishing we should change this philosophy and bring in new coaches, obviously want us to continue messing around in the basement academy leagues and categorisation...

Judging by the Iraola's comments in the press, about his playing style, I think he considers conceding as part and parcel of his style, so not sure how much we'll improve...

I'm sure they'll be given a chance to prove their worth under the new coach.

If they aren't up to it they will likely be moved on.

Defensive frailties are a major concern however.
And what have been since Eddie’s time here, need to upgrade

;