Simpson and Mepham

Tinpot Club

Star Player
Before the match a lot of people were saying this was the ideal game to have Mings available. I can kinda see the argument he’d have been useful today but the reality is we would still almost certainly of lost.

Jack and Chris are the long term future of this club and sadly I’m not sure Tyrone is. The mistake we made with Cargill was not exposing him to first team football soon enough. Whether he was actually good enough is another valid point.

It’s great both the young CB’s got exposed to world class opposition. That will do no wonders for their long term development. Had Mings been available, one or both of their route to game time might have been blocked.

As it happened, I think Simpson and Mepham showed a potential well above Mings and even Steve Cook. Both looked far more mobile. I don’t mean in terms of pure speed, but getting their feet and body shape in the right position to prevent attacks.

How many times does Cook fall over when exposed to skilful players? I feel Cook and Mings are rather clumsy footballers. Think of those blocks and headed clearances Simpson and Mepham did under the crossbar in the first half. I think Cook or Mings would have notched an O.G. from similar positions.

I appreciate I’m being slightly harsh on Cook in particular. If we are 1-0 up at Huddersfield with 5 to go, I’d much prefer him to repel the aerial bombardment. However, I really hope we can involve the young duo as much as possible before the end of the season as I’m convinced we have a potentially great partnership!

I’m going to stick my neck out and disagree. Yes Mepham and Simpson were excellent yesterday, yes they both have a big future at the club, but I wouldn’t say I would rather they play than Steve Cook.

As for Mings, you’ve only got to see how he’s getting on at Villa to know that he’s got something to offer us here if he was able to stay injury free

Reactions: DJ
I’m going to stick my neck out and disagree. Yes Mepham and Simpson were excellent yesterday, yes they both have a big future at the club, but I wouldn’t say I would rather they play than Steve Cook.

As for Mings, you’ve only got to see how he’s getting on at Villa to know that he’s got something to offer us here if he was able to stay injury free

Agree on both points.

Doesn’t take anything away from the positive performances of Simpson and Mepham though.

Both will only get better with time which is excellent.

I think blooding them both early is part necessity due to injuries, part prep for when Ake leaves, most likely this summer. Mings, Cook, Simpson and Mepham not a bad 4 to have next year. Having Mepham and Simpson just on the same pitch as Ake and watching how he covers and clears attacks will be invaluable and way better than anything they can learn in training sessions.

;