Sin Bins

So one team could have 9 players on the pitch, with two in the sin bin, giving the opposition a good advantage for those minutes.

No thanks, let’s just get on with the game as we know it.

The best thing they can do is to improve the time VAR takes or scrap it all together.

Last edited:
I like the idea of something in between a yellow and red. A sin bin for all yellows doesn't make sense unless they (the onfield officials) start showing any form of consistency to applying the laws. Otherwise it just becomes another punishment for the smaller teams.

it's a sin bin for dissent I think - running alongside a rule where only the captain can speak to referee. Quite easy for players to avoid the sin bin - they just need to stop calling the ref a c*nt, like they do now.

Having only the captain talk to the referee is a rule/law that should have been implemented years ago.

There does need to be a consideration over how it works with goalkeepers though. So maybe an “outfield captain” for those situations.

Good idea for the bad yellows/harsh reds. But if there is time wasting, does sin bin time get added on? Can managers get sent there too? Arteta should spend fair bit of time in sin bin.

Having only the captain talk to the referee is a rule/law that should have been implemented years ago.

There does need to be a consideration over how it works with goalkeepers though. So maybe an “outfield captain” for those situations.
Personally, I've never been a fan of a goalkeeper as captain.

I could've sworn it already was? I remember a period where refs and captains would wave away other players before interacting. Yet another initiative that's tried and failed?
I also thought this was the case. Lewis Dunkey clearly took it too far at the weekend.

Not read it completely but sin bins are used in the non league pyramid (up to step 5), so the ninth tier of English football. They are there to punish dissent by word or action.

Having watched loads of football at this level, the inconsistency of application is outstanding. I’m not sure that anybody knows what dissent is a yellow and what is a sin bin? I’m not sure the refs do. I’ve even seen refs sin bin the wrong player, but they don’t care about that. The rules around a sin binned player are really complicated so will just cause more confusion.

It will be a recipe for disaster, not in theory, because it is good, but in application. Just another way for the big 6 to get an advantage over the other 14.

;