Sin Bins

Looks kind of confusing to me. I'm also puzzled why it's only for dissent?
Seems to me that there are a lot of situations where a player takes a "professional foul" to stop an attack and gets a yellow. But in the context of the game, the team that was fouled sees virtually no benefit from the yellow. a 10-minute sin bin would actually be a nice medium between being expelled from the rest of the game (red), and nothing (yellow).

Looks kind of confusing to me. I'm also puzzled why it's only for dissent?
Seems to me that there are a lot of situations where a player takes a "professional foul" to stop an attack and gets a yellow. But in the context of the game, the team that was fouled sees virtually no benefit from the yellow. a 10-minute sin bin would actually be a nice medium between being expelled from the rest of the game (red), and nothing (yellow).
It's those fouls where I'd exactly like to see a harsher punishment.

So I’m guessing we will be playing most of the season with 10 men when it starts
This is exactly why I'm scared of any rule changes now. It seems to be disproportionately applied to our detriment.

Handball changes, VAR application and dissent crackdown have all been a net benefit to opposition with their biased application. A sin bin would just mean that referees could give us a dreadful decision and then sin bin a couple of players for reacting.

As an aside does the referee need to keep track of the number of sin bins are well as yellows with the two interacting with each other? Can't see anyone losing track of that!

If we had sin bins (of which is not a bad Idea if it avoids a booking), players like Harry Arter would spend the whole game sat on the bench soon after kick-off.

I've been observing 'sin bin' events this season at the local non - league grounds ... They often stay in the bin for a lot longer than is planned...the refs tend to forget them.
And.. different refs have varying opinions on what warrants 'sin bin'.
Often the 'sinners' end up in a punch-up with the opposition bench...and the crowd sometimes join in...it's hilarious.

Last edited:
I've been observing 'sin bin' events this season at the the local non - league grounds ... They often stay in the bin for a lot longer than is planned...the refs tend to forget them.
And.. different refs have varying opinions on what warrants 'sin bin'.
Often the 'sinners' end up in a punch-up with the opposition bench...and the crowd sometimes join in...it's hilarious.
I like the sound of this

Could make for some interesting scenarios where a side is reaching the final minutes of a man advantage and will push on, leaving gaps, goals could result in either end.

Not adverse to doing something about player conduct and players harassing refs. However....

There's plenty of existing officiating issues that need work and focus, rather than the distraction of adding a new element to the game. Am I being cynical in querying the FA / PGMOL throwing this out there at a time they're under pressure for various high profile mistakes?

Could existing rules be better enforced, or tweaked if necessary?

Need to get VAR right before they start the continuing messing around with the game…

IF we are going to change anything then let’s make each yellow card worth -0.10 point to the team and a red worth -0.50 to a team that way managers would work on disciplining their players better!

Is it 10 minutes of the ball in play, or 10 minutes from when sent to the bin.
I can see sides parking the bus and time wasting for 10 minutes just watching the clock.
But I do think there has to be something done to the petulant kids out there screaming at referees.

Another variance to allow for bias for the big teams.

VARS bad enough in itself, we don't need sin bins, or any other form of subjectivity at the top of the table.

"After a successful trial at lower league level where Fleetwood Mac Town reserves have kicked 5 barrels of shyte out of Ebbsfleet Elite first 11, the FA have agreed to introduce sin bins into the League"

Can see it being proven right, before it then gets proven wrong.......just like VAR

This is exactly why I'm scared of any rule changes now. It seems to be disproportionately applied to our detriment.

Handball changes, VAR application and dissent crackdown have all been a net benefit to opposition with their biased application. A sin bin would just mean that referees could give us a dreadful decision and then sin bin a couple of players for reacting.

As an aside does the referee need to keep track of the number of sin bins are well as yellows with the two interacting with each other? Can't see anyone losing track of that!
But then we all have to live with that well known proviso in the rule book- “provided that if the player is an AFC Bournemouth player….”. As in - accidental handball ricocheting off the chest hitting the defender’s elbow in the box, no penalty “provided that if the player is an AFC Bournemouth player it shall be deemed intentional and worthy of a penalty (subject to agreement of Micah Richards)”.

Is it 10 minutes of the ball in play, or 10 minutes from when sent to the bin.
I can see sides parking the bus and time wasting for 10 minutes just watching the clock.
But I do think there has to be something done to the petulant kids out there screaming at referees.
The other element in hockey is if you go in for a 2-minute penalty and the opposition scores, you come out of the box immediately.

;