Started watching EPL in August 2015.....

98Grad

First Team
Never liked “soccer” and was flipping the channels one Saturday morning looking for something to watch until my Gamecocks kicked off. Found AFCB and immediately took a liking to em. I’ve been hooked ever since that Saturday morning in 2015 never missing a Cherries game. With that being said I’ve started checking out old English football games from the 70’s and 80’s and I have to say, the game in those decades is drastically different compared to today’s game. Very exciting and I swear every dang player had a cannon for a leg. To be a keeper back then was putting your life at risk.:sneaky:

Last edited:
It's fair to say the game back then in England was a lot more physical. What you're watching is probably games from the top league. Just imagine what third tier AFCB matches were like were the skill level was lower and the pitches much worse...

Most of today's players in the PL are basically f√cking Useless compared to those in the mid to late 20 th century.
I mean Christ...just see clips of Best, Greaves, Charlton, Peters, C.Jones, Blanchflower, Lee, White, Mitchell, Milburn, Keegan, Hunt, Hurst, McDougall, Boyer.... an endless list of skilled players who stayed on their feet!

Most of today's players in the PL are basically f√cking Useless compared to those in the mid to late 20 th century.
I mean Christ...just see clips of Best, Greaves, Charlton, Peters, C.Jones, Blanchflower, Lee, White, Mitchell, Milburn, Keegan, Hunt, Hurst, McDougall, Boyer.... an endless list of skilled players who stayed on their feet!

u are not a "morning" person, are u brian

Last edited by a moderator:
u are not a "morning" person, are u brian!

Oh but I am ...! I was out in the greenhouse at 8 am cutting holes in growbags ...planting tomatoes. Came back in for breakfast and a quick blast on the ol' Forum!

Went to bed earlier last night...after getting my ears bent about my attitude towards Trump!

Is it Keegan that played for Liverpool? Sheesh that guy defined quality. He was everywhere!

Whilst most of those in your list would easily hold their own in the Premier League today, I can't agree with you about the present generation of players.
For a start, V Van Dyk is to me the best central defender I have ever seen in watching football for 65 years, and other greats currently or recently gracing our stages include Sadio Mane, Salah, Firminho, Eden Hazard, Aguero, David Silva, DeBruyne (without doubt one of the all time greats), Ronaldo when he was here, Kane, Allison, Sterling to name just a few. No doubt their skill levels have been greatly enhanced by playing on bowling green pitches, but the ball control of the top players in the Premier League these days is quite astonishing.

In terms of pure skill levels I wouldn’t say there was much difference between stars of the past and modern players.

For me the difference is the fitness levels and tactical understanding of the game. With the tempo the game is played at and with the amount of pressing, players these days need to execute their skills that much quicker. And that also means players need to position themselves to receive a short quick pass.

Whilst most of those in your list would easily hold their own in the Premier League today, I can't agree with you about the present generation of players.
For a start, V Van Dyk is to me the best central defender I have ever seen in watching football for 65 years, and other greats currently or recently gracing our stages include Sadio Mane, Salah, Firminho, Eden Hazard, Aguero, David Silva, DeBruyne (without doubt one of the all time greats), Ronaldo when he was here, Kane, Allison, Sterling to name just a few. No doubt their skill levels have been greatly enhanced by playing on bowling green pitches, but the ball control of the top players in the Premier League these days is quite astonishing.
Agree with the ball- control at today's speed...and of course the fitness level... but there is no- way Van Dyke would have coped with Best any more than did say Chopper Harris or Norman Hunter.

The modern game is played at a much faster pace, players are a lot fitter (try turning up with a hangover and playing in any professional game now - you'd stand out like a sore thumb), much more is spent on science, analysis, coaching etc. We evolve and get 'better' over time.

Basically it would be a complete and utter demolition if you could port a top 70's side to play a modern team.

Agree with the ball- control at today's speed...and of course the fitness level... but there is no- way Van Dyke would have coped with Best any more than did say Chopper Harris or Norman Hunter.
Have to disagree again Brian. I've seen all three of those in the flesh over the years, and I would say that VVD is a very much better player than those two. Bobby Moore at his peak was a wonderful player, but one who got by on his ability to read the game to make up for his real lack of pace. VVD covers the ground like a sprinter to add to his armoury of talents.

;