Stat Attack

It is cool stuff, Matt. Data like this will always be subject to interpretation, but still .............. very cool.

Thanks for all the kind words. I’ll keep putting these out, even when it is was a disappointing performance like yesterday.

Here’s the xG timeline. It wasn’t as bad as I feared in terms of Arsenal’s value (1.78), they had 1.49 away at Palace and 3.15 at home to Leicester, but we created little (0.28) compared to Palace’s 1.22 and Leicester’s 0.71. The fixtures have been tough, but we haven’t got beyond 0.60 in any game yet.

The first came in the 5th minute when following sublime skill from Jesus, Travers saved well from Martinelli (rated 1 in 5) but the ball dropped to Odegaard for a simple chance (56%). On 11 mins, it was 2-0, White just being onside to cross to Jesus, whose first touch was heavy enough for Odegaard to come in, use Senesi and Mepham as shields and bend it beyond an unsighted Travers (1 in 9). In the rest of the first half, it was one way traffic with chances rated around 1 in 10 for Gabriel and Jesus twice, whilst we mustered no attempt. Changing to a back four rather than a five did see an improvement in the second half, although Arsenal effectively killed the game in the 51st minute when Saliba hit a fine shot into Travers’ top left corner (1 in 16) although Lerma would have been disappointed with his missed headed clearance. Martinelli had a chance (1 in 10) and in injury time Nketiah had a good chance saved well by Travers (1 in 5). We were living off scraps at best, with no attempt rated better than 1 in 16, but did at least get forward more in the second half. The xG have been unkind to Travers who has played well in the last two goals and was expected to concede about 3 and half and has let in 7.

xG.JPG

The average position map shows we weren’t too advanced. Senesi and Pearson were withdrawn at half time for Cook and Anthony who were both more advanced than those substituted. It is noticeable how close Pearson and Billing were playing next to each other, with Pearson having switched sides in the City and Arsenal game compared to Villa. Christie came on for Billing and again played more advanced. Tavernier played almost as high as Moore.

Av Pos.JPG

Mepham and Kelly completed the most passes. The completion rates from Billing, Moore, Pearson and Zemura were all below 70% indicating that we were not gelling particularly in central midfield. When he came on Cook had a completion rate of over 90% and 100% for those in the opponent’s half. Tavernier had most passes in the opposition’s half.

Pass1.JPG

Pass2.JPG

The aerial duals were largely contested by Mepham and Moore, neither having a particularly good success rate (33% for Mepham and 60% for Moore) .

Aerial.JPG

Five players had four tackles: Billing, Cook, Senesi, Smith and Zemura, although both Cook and Senesi only played 45 minutes. Cook won all of his, whilst Billing only won one.

Tackles.JPG

Is there any way you can show player passing patterns, as watching from the stands looked like we just passed in cycles in are own half

Thanks for the stats Matt.

When you show a heat map with players numbers could you also list players and their numbers as well.

Would help for me as I don't know squad numbers.

Thanks.

Thanks for the stats Matt.

When you show a heat map with players numbers could you also list players and their numbers as well.

Would help for me as I don't know squad numbers.

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't think it through. I'm too used to sharing the house with an 8 year old who recites the numbers. Hopefully this is an improvement

Av Pos v2.JPG

Last edited:
Saw this last week. Not sure how it fits with the xG stats for that game but great save nontheless.

Infogol had that attempt at 28%, so 72% saved (assuming that includes putting it wide). Fantasy Football Scout had his match xG at 0.54 from 2 attempts. Infogol had his combined total from these as 0.45. The 0.46 for this shot to be saved seems high based on the other two sources.

Good save, but the greedy g*t should still have squared it for a near certain tap-in for Haaland though. (although I was glad he didn't)

;