Sunderland's Support

AFCB Lost in Brum

Fans' Favourite
Noisy. Persistent. Enthusiastic.

For a team adrift at the bottom of league I thought they were great.

And once they scored their first goal it went up a notch.

Sunderlans fans on their MB re the minutes silence. They have a thread which mentions our MB.

The fans in the stands did observe the minute's silence impeccably, there was noise coming from those under the stand and those still outside, the ground being so small meant the chanting was easy to hear, no disrespect was shown by anyone.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/the-bournemouth-view.1294404/

To be fair, this is exactly what I thought at the time. You could tell the noise was coming from the concourse from fans that obviously didn't know the minute silence had started.

Sunderland's support was always going to be exactly what the OP said... They are well known for good support . Unfortunately ours yesterday was not... Was a very flat for most of the game... Watched parts back on the game of the Day yesterday and it was quiet at best... No wonder Afobe and Smith were trying to gee things up...

Off day all round..

Arters beard - 6/11/2016 09:12

To be fair, this is exactly what I thought at the time. You could tell the noise was coming from the concourse from fans that obviously didn't know the minute silence had started.

I only ever 'sit' in the Fletch Stand and the only place you can hear the tannoy is in the concourse where it's incredibly loud.

I never realised Sunderland fans were such bell ends that forum thread is overflowing with rose tinted bull crap and pointless barbs at us.

They really don't understand football anywhere near as well as their Tyne-side neighbours.

From experience it seems that away support actually gets louder the nearer to rock bottom you get.

When we've been at our lowest the number of away fans has dropped off, but the noise from that hardcore has always increased.

I thinks it's down to that "we know we're rubbish and probably going down, but we're still right behind our team" mentality.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 6/11/2016 01:51

Noisy. Persistent. Enthusiastic.

For a team adrift at the bottom of league I thought they were great.

And once they scored their first goal it went up a notch.

Agree, they were noisily, persistently and enthusiastically ripping into their own players before they scored :hihi:

Ref the minutes lack of silence it was from underneath.

Too many over 65s in the stadium. The club needs to review whether this wealthy section of society should be receiving match day discounts. It is the equivalent of giving free school meals to students at Eton.

Republican's got an interesting point though. There's a terrible wealth imbalance between the over 60s generation and young people these days. My generation had the benefit of student grants for all - yes, grants ! - easily affordable housing and generous pension schemes.

The younger generation has it tough these days. Bad for society and bad for the future.

There were people in the stand making a racket for the first 30 seconds and people shhhh-ing for the rest of it. Whatever way you look at it it was the worst minutes silence I've ever heard.

billythekid - 6/11/2016 09:07

Sunderlans fans on their MB re the minutes silence. They have a thread which mentions our MB.

The fans in the stands did observe the minute's silence impeccably, there was noise coming from those under the stand and those still outside, the ground being so small meant the chanting was easy to hear, no disrespect was shown by anyone.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/the-bournemouth-view.1294404/

Without flicking through do they explain why they didn't have poppies on their shirts? They just wore black arm bands like we used to in League Two went we couldn't afford to give players numerous shirts over the course of the season.

I thought all Premier League clubs auctioned off the shirts afterwards?

It was my comment that seems to have wound up a lot of their fans on that thread. Surprising it annoyed them so much because I would have thought it was obviously tounge in cheek. As a response - yes I am bitter. I hate it when we lose like that as we seem to do two or three times every season - ask Newcastle fans about how they won here last year.

From a Sunderland perspective it was obviously a cracking result - come from behind, ten men, still win, brilliant. It wasn't the sort of performance that signalled that they'd turned a corner though. They may well do, it will certainly give a confidence boost, but there's no doubt it was a fortunate win.

The minutes silence was poor. The vast majority of the noise tbf was in the concourse but not all of it. Either way I've heard a lot of minutes silences at DC over the years and that was the worst one. A real shame because the one at boro last week was impeccable and really brought a lump to the throat. This one was just disappointing.

As for the stuff about our ground size and us going back to where we came from. Fair enough, I started the insults. All I'd say is that in my opinion when it comes to football fans there are people who support their local side and there are w@nkers. In that regard there is a lot to be jealous of the northeast clubs for - I would love for us to have everyone in our area an AFCB fan but this is the south and fans are fickle, that's not to say we've only got 11,000 fans though. I obviously riled people on that site who thought it was arrogant in suggesting that we are better than Sunderland. The truth is that at the moment and on yesterday's evidence we are. I know Sunderland have a bigger fanbase, better history, etc. but I don't care about all that I am an AFCB fan and I just judge the players on the pitch as I see it - and we should have won that game!

I never really thought of Sunderland as anything other than an over achieving Championship side with a slightly fanatical support boosted by cheap ticket sales in an effort to fill a stadium that's blatantly too big for them.

A sort of Norwich but with the potential to sit comfortably mid table in the Championship for the next 10 years when they go down this season.

Some of their fans (not all) did exhibit a certain level of bellendary not often seen at this level. Most visiting clubs don't give a sh it about afcb but some of their taunting was lower league standard reminiscent of Southend United and Gillingham...

red_house - 6/11/2016 12:44

I never really thought of Sunderland as anything other than an over achieving Championship side with a slightly fanatical support boosted by cheap ticket sales in an effort to fill a stadium that's blatantly too big for them.

A sort of Norwich but with the potential to sit comfortably mid table in the Championship for the next 10 years when they go down this season.

Some of their fans (not all) did exhibit a certain level of bellendary not often seen at this level. Most visiting clubs don't give a sh it about afcb but some of their taunting was lower league standard reminiscent of Southend United and Gillingham...

It should probably be clarified that this is your perspective as a Leeds fan rather than an AFCB fan - we wouldn't want AFCB to be accused of getting above their station again. :hihi:

For what it's worth we've not really seen this type of 'big club' patronising since we were in the championship. Most prem clubs don't seem to bother. Not sure what that says about Sunderland.

SlowDownDerek - 6/11/2016 13:14

red_house - 6/11/2016 12:44

For what it's worth we've not really seen this type of 'big club' patronising since we were in the championship. Most prem clubs don't seem to bother. Not sure what that says about Sunderland.

They are getting in practice for the drop down. :grin:

;