Superbowl

Druss_the_Legend - 6/2/2017 09:50

Apparently its a boring sport.

Watching a replay is cool or the show they used to have (maybe still do) on Sky Sports on a Sunday where the bounce around action from all the games, but I struggle live with 2-3 seconds of action then 30 seconds of no action, longer if the team in possession gets a first down.

I'm not sure why since I can do it with test cricket.

...had a bet on Patriots but went to bed when they were losing so heavily...expecting to have done my money...nice surprise to wake up to!!....thanks hyper Bowl!

Garbo - 6/2/2017 13:18

...had a bet on Patriots but went to bed when they were losing so heavily...expecting to have done my money...nice surprise to wake up to!!....thanks hyper Bowl!

Doesn't it count as a draw like Football?

tedisking - 6/2/2017 14:06

When does The World Series start ? Another great Yank sport where only American sides play !!

It's called The World Series as it was originally sponsored by the newspaper "The World" rather than it being world wide.

Was on holiday a few years ago in Mexico whilst the Superbowl was on.
Don't think a drunk me and my friend shouting "Boscombe. Back of the net" whilst the game was on TV did Anglo Yank relations any favours.

I don't like rugby either, and Yankee football is rugger with pillows.

I'll catch the hour highlights on Sky. Staying up to watch? must be joking.

Depends what you like though doesn't it. I'll stay up for a track final at the World Champs or Olympics if a Brit is in contention

I'm no expert at Rugby, don't always know the ins and outs of the rules and why fouls are given etc, but I always find it compelling viewing.

Be it one side edging towards the try line whilst the other throws all their bodies in the line to stop them. Total concentration required whilst the two side grind each other down until one of them slips. Or those wonderful sweeping moves where an attack overloads an area of the pitch and moves the ball between themselves in a blur. The 6 nations gives the whole thing a brilliant local rivalry edge. It's 2 x 40 minutes and can be just one part of a nice afternoon/evening.

American Football? Takes hour after hour after sodding hour. Nothing happening for most of it. It's more a soap opera and advertisement reel than it is a sport. The blokes are obviously athletes to look at no question, but they don't seem to be tested in the same way. There's no sense of building tension, as soon as something interesting happens there's a 5 minute break whilst they figure out what happens next (nice chance to roll a few more ads). You have to devote an entire night to watching it. Unless you watch the condensed highlights of course to get around the flaws, but any sport that needs a condensed highlights show to make it watchable is failing as a sport IMHO.

I understand the parallels to test match cricket and hypocritically I enjoy following that. Something quite relaxing about having a test match on the tele or radio in the background whilst I get on with something. I can dip in and out as the test meanders on or as time allows.

I know they've been pushing NFL over here (Wembley etc) but I just don't think enough of us English 'get it' for it to ever catch on.

I'll put the case for the defence - I'm not avid viewer but I do think it is an excellent sport. As with any sport I think it needs to be appreciated for what it is rather than compare it to other sports to find areas where it isn't as good. It is obviously an incredibly popular sport in North America and they know how to entertain over there.

It is a very start/stop sport which takes a bit of getting used to but the tactical battles are excellent to watch as is the athleticism on display. The best thing though, once you get used to the pace of the game, is the slow build up to key do-or-die moments where they simply have to make the play work or they will lose possession and possibly the game. Last night had loads of great examples of this including loads where the Patriots blew it and seemingly their chances. Also an incredible one of these do-or-die moments where they managed to make the first down with one of the most amazing catches I've ever seen. It really was excellent - the whole competition hinged on an incredible moment that could so easily have gone the other way.

If you like sport you will probably like American Football - it's worth giving it a go one year and staying up for the Superbowl. The razzmatazz will make you cringe but the sport underneath all that is excellent. You could watch one of the lesser games during the season that are on at a more reasonable time but they won't have the sense of 'big time' as the main event.

Thanks but no thanks SDD ;-)

I agree....any sport that is only watchable on edited highlights, is a non-starter for me. We all know how the Americans love their big events, to me, Eggball is bloated out just for the benefit of ad breaks and for them to party with a beer and barbecue!

I did try and get into it many years back but just didn't get it. Mind you, I don't really like Rugby either but at least with that, they get on with it.

Years ago, I went to a NBA game in New York, all about the big foam hands and the 'event', which was great but ultimately, the game itself was only exciting for a few minutes, right at the end of the 4th quarter. Obviously the Superb Owl itself this year had a big comeback, which would have made it one of the more interesting games but I think this is more the exception than the rule. For me, anyway!

It always amazes me when cricket fans say American football is boring?

NFL is an incredible spectator sport and experience. I've been lucky enough to attend a few. As said above, if you dip into a sport once a year and dont fully understand it, its history, the characters, the rules etc then how on earth do you think you would enjoy it.

NSM is wrong, they have proved every year for the last 10 that its huge over here and getting bigger. With Spurs, Twickers and Wembley all hosting matches in the coming years.

If you dont watch it, it doesnt concern me, but to come on here and say its boring? "You have to devote an entire night to watching it" as apposed to 5 days for a test match?

Edited to add: Yes DJ....I fell for the hooks again. Once the F1 season starts I'll post a thread on here and wait for the horse racing fans to say its boring so you can bite...
:thumbsup:

;