Team v Blackburn

I really hope JT sticks with the 3-4-3 type system we saw yesterday. I think it suits the squad we're currently left with, and it better suits players we need to get more potential out of.

Travers at this point seems the likely GK

In my back 3, Kelly and Cook would be the ever present. The third spot could be tweaked depending on the opposition / situation. Rico can do it if we want more technique and attacking intent there. Mepham can do it if we want muscle and height to defend with. Simpson provides cover and in this system would be better protected.

Stacey, Smith, Rico are all good wing back options. If we were to get Ritchie, he's done exactly this job for Newcastle in recent seasons.

We have four decent midfield options (plus the up and coming Oboforh) all competing for the central 2 spots. A 3-4-3 can so easily become a 3-5-2 if we want to stiffen the midfield and use this central midfield depth that we possess.

Playing a front 3 allows the wide forwards the freedom they want. Brooks, Stansilas and Danjuma are all better used in this system. Especially we if want to bring Danjuma to the fore, a front 3 is his game, let's not shoehorn him into wide midfield.

Leading the line we have either Solanke who brings others into play but can be a little lightweight, or Surridge who brings more physicality and aerial presence.

Travers
Cook Kelly Rico
Stacey Gosling Lerma Smith
Brooks Solanke Danjuma

^ That's the slightly stronger version of the system we used yesterday.

Leaving Mepham, L.Cook, Billing, Stanislas, Surridge as all credible options from the bench, all pretty interchangeable really.

I assume that King, Wilson, Arter, Begovic all leave shortly or won't be involved.

Last edited:
I really hope JT sticks with the 3-4-3 type system we saw yesterday. I think it suits the squad we're currently left with, and it better suits players we need to get more potential out of.

Travers at this point seems the likely GK

In my back 3, Kelly and Cook would be the ever present. The third spot could be tweaked depending on the opposition / situation. Rico can do it if we want more technique and attacking intent there. Mepham can do it if we want muscle and height to defend with. Simpson provides cover and in this system would be better protected.

Stacey, Smith, Rico are all good wing back options. If we were to get Ritchie, he's done exactly this job for Newcastle in recent seasons.

We have four decent midfield options (plus the up and coming Oboforh) all competing for the central 2 spots. A 3-4-3 can so easily become a 3-5-2 if we want to stiffen the midfield and use this central midfield depth that we possess.

Playing a front 3 allows the wide forwards the freedom they want. Brooks, Stansilas and Danjuma are all better used in this system. Especially we if want to bring Danjuma to the fore, a front 3 is his game, let's not shoehorn him into wide midfield.

Leading the line we have either Solanke who brings others into play but can be a little lightweight, or Surridge who brings more physicality and aerial presence.

Travers
Cook Kelly Rico
Stacey Gosling Lerma Smith
Brooks Solanke Danjuma

^ That's the slightly stronger version of the system we used yesterday.

Leaving Mepham, L.Cook, Billing, Stanislas, Surridge as all credible options from the bench, all pretty interchangeable really.

I assume that King, Wilson, Arter, Begovic all leave shortly or won't be involved.
Not too far off.....you can't leave Stan out though....starts ahead of Brooks imo.

Kris Temple wrote this about Arter before the Benfica game. Sounds pretty final so we shouldn't hold out much hope.

why was he given a squad number if he has no intention of playing?
could really have done with him yesterday when we were struggling to get control of the game
does anyone know how long he has left on his contract, surely he wont do a wee jobbie and bugger us around?

;