Ted MacDougall - Phil Boyer

billythekid

UTC Legend
After seeing Ted at the game with Saints recently and seeing Norwich C Tuesday night, with the United game this Saturday and the thread re your favourite player.

I thought back to the John Bond era where those two were dynamite together, Phil set the fuse and Ted banged the goals in. But how good would Ted have been without Phil?

They were together at York City and formed a good partnership scoring the City goals.

Then Ted left York and moved down to the South Coast to join the Cherries, leaving his strike partner in York.

When John Bond joined us as our manager it was not long before Phil Boyer came down to join him and set up that dynamite strike partnership. Phil would light the fuse and Ted would bang the goals in.

They did the business for York C and us. But also for Norwich C and Saints as a partnership.

Found this interesting article about the pair and Ted when he was at our visitors on Saturday, Manchester United and also West Ham without Phil.

https://gameofthepeople.com/2014/12/02/great-partnerships-macdougall-and-boyer-brothers-in-boots/

When Ted was at MU Docherty had stated that Ted ' couldn't play outside the box' and then similar was said of him at West Ham although he was still scoring at least every 3 or 4 games without having Phil alongside......given time and a decent partnership I think he would have increased that ratio. A manager like Eddie would have sorted that out!

Without Boyer possibly not so prolific, BUT don't forget that without Boyer he got 21 goals for us in Lge 3 in 69/70 when we got relegated and the whole team only scored 48 that season !!!!!
He also scored 20 in 23 games in Div 4 before Boyer arrived in 70/71 (inc 1 game when Boyer was injured), as well as 7 in 2 FA Cup ties before he teamed up with Boyer. So his scoring rate did not really change after Boyers arrival.
All in all Ted was an incredible goal scoring machine with or without Boyer.

Sad day when ted left but still here supporting.Always horrible when I was younger when a good player was sold on.

Might feel even worse when older if we can’t hold onto ake, cook, brooks and Lerma....or will the big fees compensate? Too often we lost players for a fraction of their true value back in the day.

Without Boyer possibly not so prolific, BUT don't forget that without Boyer he got 21 goals for us in Lge 3 in 69/70 when we got relegated and the whole team only scored 48 that season !!!!!
He also scored 20 in 23 games in Div 4 before Boyer arrived in 70/71 (inc 1 game when Boyer was injured), as well as 7 in 2 FA Cup ties before he teamed up with Boyer. So his scoring rate did not really change after Boyers arrival.
All in all Ted was an incredible goal scoring machine with or without Boyer.

Fair point.

We were lucky to see those two prolific strikers as a pair, the ‘terrible twins’ for defences.

When Ted went, the club went into 15 years oblivion before we could challenge again for the 3rd tier title and that was with a team made up of lower league journeymen, and not one outstanding individual.

...loved Ted Mac and he was someone who put AFC Bournemouth on the map in lots of ways. I still bump into people who say " Yeah I know Bournemouth I remember Ted MacDougall"

Docherty was a fool to let him go, he should have played to his strengths like the teams he played for afterwards did, when he scored loads of goals.

If I had to name my best ever AFCB players then Ted Mac would be on that list with the likes of Steve Fletcher...Marc Pugh....James Hayter....Richard Cooke...Mark Newson....Wade Elliott.....Sean O'Driscoll...Brett Pitman....Neil Young....Adrian Pennock...

Very vague memories of his first stint as a player, better recollection of him coming to my school for a Q&A, my age determines I recall his return and everyone talking about him. So I didn't see the best of him sadly

Ted played 146 games and scored 103 goals, We bought him for 10,000 and sold him for 200,000, Phil cost 20,000 and was sold to Norwich for 150,000. He scored 46 times in 140 games. What a duo.

Norwich exodus (before my time and I think we were pretty well recompensed), Doncaster and Burnley have often been vultures though

;