Richard Hughes

Have 4m a year. Thats the sales pitch to young talent.

He leaves a club 10th in the prem but we know that while a few people played small bit parts none of it would have happened without Eddie Howe and Max Denim.
Equally, when relegated from the Premier League Demin entrusted Blake and Hughes with balancing the books, getting promoted back from the Championship and finding credible new owners. All achieved and more. I don’t understand why you feel the need to belittle that as ‘bit part players’? It seems to me that their role has been central to our continued success.

“We wouldn’t be where we are without Howe and Demin.” Well no sh!t Sherlock. Equally we wouldn’t be where we are now without Hughes, which is why the Fenway Sports Group were so keen to appoint him. And Hughes’ integrity is apparently such that Bill Foley has been happy to keep him in post pending the switch.

There is nothing binary about ascribing our success to Howe or Hughes. Both have been incredibly important at different stages along the way.

Eddie did the magic and Max backed him absolutely no disputing that.

To attempt to try and scrub Hughes from any positive involvement is slightly disingenuous. I don't know of anyone apart from two people on this forum who think otherwise and dragon's only recently jumped on the bandwagon. Perhaps I don't sit around enough chewing the fat and looking for negatives.

Eddie got the praise for the good stuff, Hughes still gets the stick for the bad stuff but only on here. No one cares, as its all about the bigger picture for 99% of people.

The reality is Hughes leaves the club (currently ) in its best ever position in its history. As he was involved in the signing of most of the individuals on the pitch currently making history we can't pretend he wasn't part of the story or scrub it under the carpet as if it doesn't exist.

Have 4m a year. Thats the sales pitch to young talent.

He leaves a club 10th in the prem but we know that while a few people played small bit parts none of it would have happened without Eddie Howe and Max Denim.

I think you should include Jeff Mostyn in this and Eddie Mitchell. They all played a part in getting Bournemouth out of financial trouble and put faith in the unknown with Eddie Howe.

It's only what happens on a pitch that really matters..ok they are overpaid b@stards now...but it is they that score and stop the goals and earn the points...there is too much glorification of Managers and Executives now - most of whom are overrated by thick fans who buy any pundit or news media bullsh*t.
Sometimes a bunch of players just 'gel' irrespective of Money paid for individuals...more often than not they partially 'gel'..you get mid-table from that....or few of them 'gel' and you can get relegated...
And it's only an Entertainment...which can be engaging and enjoyable in any league..even pub standard outfits...

More on Managers : Last season mateyboy Del de Zerbi was the big flavour..boy done good...now he has been sussed...not so flaming hot eh ? ..
...Klopps and Hag are emotional and psychological shipwrecks ...know whut ah mean bruvs ?
Our man Andoni could go the way of the aforementioned Del de Zerbi..we dunno do we ? ...probably a lot of Money will have to be spent to break into the top 8...and Euro penetration...once again ...know whut ah mean bruvs ?
Of course Money isn't necessarily the complete answer we know this much ..friggin' 'ell as much Popeye !
Hope I aint wasting my words with having just sailed into Saturday...a few drams of Tobermory 46.3 % helping me stay sane and celeberating ha ha hah but not hating /berating Leeds ( they ain't worth the bother) getting battered by QPR ...good 'ol Cooky.

So that's my 1st day back from Ban...getting up a head of steam for the big run in whereupon i'm likely to be offering up a few rants and much stuff to chew over for those who ain't gots me on that there Ignore !

Zzzzzedex......

Last edited:
Equally, when relegated from the Premier League Demin entrusted Blake and Hughes with balancing the books, getting promoted back from the Championship and finding credible new owners. All achieved and more. I don’t understand why you feel the need to belittle that as ‘bit part players’? It seems to me that their role has been central to our continued success.

“We wouldn’t be where we are without Howe and Demin.” Well no sh!t Sherlock. Equally we wouldn’t be where we are now without Hughes, which is why the Fenway Sports Group were so keen to appoint him. And Hughes’ integrity is apparently such that Bill Foley has been happy to keep him in post pending the switch.

There is nothing binary about ascribing our success to Howe or Hughes. Both have been incredibly important at different stages along the way.
Eddie and Jason signed the players when they were here. It was Hughes and Blake that wanted a coach not a manager.

Yes we came back up. We had the most valuable squads ever to be sent second level football. It had a forward line of Danjuma, King, Solanke and Brooks. It had Cook and Lerma in midfield… Kelly, Smith, Cook, Mepham at the back. The miracle is Blake and Hughes still burnt off and paid off three management teams to get back up with that lot or shortly after. They’ve signed a lot of dross and some good players since taking the reigns but the best players in every season since have been Eddie signings.

This is one of the most hilarious threads ever on this forum. We are likely to get our highest points total and maybe highest finish ever and all certain people can see is the negatives. Beggars belief!
Getting here has been a team effort, on and off the field. Some mistakes have been made but there have been a lot more right decisions than wrong ones.
Certain people on here need to give their heads a shake...but they won't cos they are too narrow minded to see the bigger picture!

Not so fast Cherry Wazzior.

Most of what you say is correct.

Nobody is questioning the excellent season we have had.

Hughes appointed Tindall and Parker and O'Neil.

The very same players that have now become 'better' players is because of the calibre of Andoni, and his management style and tactical acumen.

As technical director, who in their right mind would ever have chosen Jason Tindall as the best management option available to AFCB, at the time?

Richard Hughes has signed some good and some bad players.

His only bastion being that he had 2 of the best PL managers outside of the top 6 known to man get him out of the mire.

None of his signings were a class above, a true genuine find, his average signings were improved by top quality managers.

Make no mistake about it, Gary O'Neil would have seen us relegated had he stayed on.

Foley pulled the pin, not Hughes.

Hughes has had his ass covered by very wealthy backers, and great managers across these last 10 years.

Which signings in particular has Hughes unearthed that have been absolute quality since day one?

AKE would be the only one, but we pinched him from Watford.

Hughes will have to up his game at Liverpool, as no doubt he will be backed by a top quality manager, but his signings will come under a microscope at a club like Liverpool.

I doubt he will be there in 18 months time.

Good luck to him.

I doubt Hughes had the final say on who the managers were. It would have been a board decision so unfair to put all the blame on Hughes.

Give the guy a break!

I doubt Hughes had the final say on who the managers were. It would have been a board decision so unfair to put all the blame on Hughes.

Give the guy a break!
So all the good things that work out are Hughes, all the bad things are the board?

As technical director, which Hughes was he has the largest say.

A recruitment manager generally looks after player deals in and out.

A technical director guides both the player sales and the managerial appointments.

Sticking Tindall in as a manager and giving him a transfer window, then sacking him may well be acceptable here, but won't be at Liverpool.

Hence why Hughes has been appointed as a sporting director.

Nothing against Hughes as a person, but his stock will be seriously tested at Liverpool.

No amount of bickering at this stage will prove anything.

Time will only tell.

I wish him the best of luck.

But my money is on him getting the boot within 18 months tops.

Eddie and Jason signed the players when they were here. It was Hughes and Blake that wanted a coach not a manager.

Yes we came back up. We had the most valuable squads ever to be sent second level football. It had a forward line of Danjuma, King, Solanke and Brooks. It had Cook and Lerma in midfield… Kelly, Smith, Cook, Mepham at the back. The miracle is Blake and Hughes still burnt off and paid off three management teams to get back up with that lot or shortly after. They’ve signed a lot of dross and some good players since taking the reigns but the best players in every season since have been Eddie signings.
Getting back up was one of three things asked of them: the other two were balancing the books and selling the club. In my opinion, Blake and Hughes did a good job with both of those.

Maybe it’s a club thing, and everyone involved did their share and played their part in getting us to where we are now. Hell, you could even say that administration chap did us a favour!

Of course there will be downs as well as ups. Plenty to do in the summer if the club wants to improve.

But this has been a very good season and Hughes has played his part.

Getting back up was one of three things asked of them: the other two were balancing the books and selling the club. In my opinion, Blake and Hughes did a good job with both of those.
Getting back up when you shouldnt have been relegated wasn't a want it was a need.

To get us back up we signed:

Cahill
Moore
Rothwell
Dembele
Lowe
Marcondes
Hill
Phillips
Nyland
Cantwell
Laird
Brady

We lost:

Danjuma
Rico
Cook
Begovic
Wilshire
MORGAN ROGERS
Leif Davis

More recently we lost:

Lerma
Pearson
Zemura
Stacey
Brooks
Rothwell
Anthony
Moore

That's a whole pile of players who have come and gone in the space of a couple of years, surplus to requirements, but with agents fees and wages not considered.

How many of the above players have been sold for a profit?

1 or 2 at a push.

If we look back over the last couple of years we have:

Smith
Travers
Solanke
Cook
Christie
Kelly
Tavernier
Billing

Have been with us for years, Eddie signings.

Hughes had a big cheque book and has signed some good players.

Kerkez
Kluivert
Zabarnyi
Senesi
Semenyo

Some questionable signings:

Trarore
Faivre
Scott
Outtara
Fredericks
Adams
Unal

Wanted to sign Castravilli, didn't sign Jackson.

Given the evidence, he's spent more than he's brought in, and missed out on signings that would have improved us.

It's not an exact science, but he won't be allowed such nonchalance with Liverpools cheque book, as he has been here.

Last edited:
This is one of the most hilarious threads ever on this forum. We are likely to get our highest points total and maybe highest finish ever and all certain people can see is the negatives. Beggars belief!
Getting here has been a team effort, on and off the field. Some mistakes have been made but there have been a lot more right decisions than wrong ones.
Certain people on here need to give their heads a shake...but they won't cos they are too narrow minded to see the bigger picture!
Pretty much sums up where I am on this debate. I don't agree with every signing we've made or fee we've paid but let's be honest the value placed on players nowadays is bonkers. I didn't agree with the Tindall or O'Neil appointments but could understand the argument for continuity and wasn't thrilled by the options available at the time. Parker was a successful appointment even though I found his football dull.
I don't understand the continued slating of Dango - I see a player who gives 100% every time, shows flashes of brilliance but is raw and therefore inconsistent. I'm still optimistic he'll develop into a very good player for us and he's already a key part of our squad (that's 10th in the PL by the way).
I'm very happy with most of our recent signings - Semenyo, Senesi, Kerkez, Zabarnyi, Kluivert. I'm confident Scott will turn out well too. The injuries are unfortunate but it's too early to write off Adams or Sini.
If this makes me a happy clapper then I'm more than happy to be one!

I doubt it’s possible to compare but I’d be interested to pitch our signings, successes and failures against other clubs.

Going to Liverpool is a big risk, but fair play to him for taking it. He could have stayed as one of Eddies old chums.

;