Richard Hughes

If true, as a fan, it's difficult to judge his relative ability to know if this is good or bad news.

Would we lean into Lorient for expertise I'm not sure we have anyone linked with Black Knight that would be in a position to help.

Seems we’re bringing in someone to manage the January window and beyond. Guess Foley doesn’t want to risk it.

Cant say I think the site adds any credence, but interesting to say the least its coming out....

Could he replace him? :grinning:

If true, working his notice, would indicate its Hughes decision, not the clubs.
Agreed Re the terminology used, but I suspect there have been discussions where Hughes has had to take some serious flak for some of the signings made (possibly even Iraola) and his position has essentially become untenable, forcing him out...

GON was basically sacked but it we never said that...

Whilst I have had my reservations over Hughes and Blake, we are essentially seeing the last remaining link(s) from our past move on... and we have no idea if the people in charge of replacing them are going to be people that are good for the club moving forward... Does anyone know who the people on our board are now? Are they even football people...?

I worry about the club being run by a completely alien outfit and things beginning to turn a bit pear shaped as a result... I personally would like to see someone with experience in the PL, or at least football experience at a high level brought in to replace... Not another American from NFL/NHS/NBA blah blah... Success in the US environment and sports arenas does not necessarily equate to success over here...or mean they are football people, and given Hughes was supposed to be overseeing our transfer and scouting outfit, where will this leave us...? An interesting week or so ahead to see who comes in...

Last edited:
Interesting development.

I think he has done an excellent job for the club including a difficult 2022 summer. Worked well with Eddie and had good European contacts. Not every signing will work but he has recruited in some decent afcb signings.

Like many, I suspect, I haven’t made up my mind re the 2023 signings yet and think AI hasn’t been helped as much as he could have given the transfer kitty available. However, having said that, I do think it takes time for some signings to settle into the team.

Felt likely at some point, is all I'd say. The largest single investment in the club's history has been mismanaged through a variety of factors, not all of which will have been even within Richard Hughes' control. But someone was likely to carry the can rightly or wrongly at some point. It might have been AI. Seems not at this time.

Hughes has certainly put in some years with the club, so that's worth acknowledging and thanking.

I wonder where this leaves Simon Francis.

Hopefully we are going for a recruitment setup which features more than one key figure in the future. If Bill is serious about progressing the club, we need to have a proper recruitment department with various analysts and whatnot shortlisting realistic targets.

Then it can be one person's job to try to get the signings over the line.

Hopefully this can be a small step towards the professionalisation of the football club.

Felt likely at some point, is all I'd say. The largest single investment in the club's history has been mismanaged through a variety of factors, not all of which will have been even within Richard Hughes' control. But someone was likely to carry the can rightly or wrongly at some point. It might have been AI. Seems not at this time.

Hughes has certainly put in some years with the club, so that's worth acknowledging and thanking.

I wonder where this leaves Simon Francis.
I think Franno is still very much in that 'learning' phase and might be considered a valuable asset to the club still, but who knows... I've mentioned several times before that football clubs must be seen to be employing ex players in various roles to show the club remaining in touch with it's identity and past (I guess), and is also a requirement for progressing through the academy gradings...

You can't help but feel that through all the excitement of being taken over, and the initial good vibes we all felt of the new investment, the club itself is far from stable atm, with big money signings that haven't worked out (I appreciate this is just how things can go), a new manager that is struggling to find his feet right now, poor form on the field, and now Hughes' departure imminent (who knows if this will be a good thing or bad for the club)...

It just feels that for a club of our size this could all be a bit too much for us to deal with in one hit... I could of course be a million miles off-path with this and we've some top dollar footballing exec lined up to come in and give us the best Jan window ever seen... Time will tell I guess...

I think Franno is still very much in that 'learning' phase and might be considered a valuable asset to the club still, but who knows... I've mentioned several times before that football clubs must be seen to be employing ex players in various roles to show the club remaining in touch with it's identity and past (I guess), and is also a requirement for progressing through the academy gradings...

You can't help but feel that through all the excitement of being taken over, and the initial good vibes we all felt of the new investment, the club itself is far from stable atm, with big money signings that haven't worked out (I appreciate this is just how things can go), a new manager that is struggling to find his feet right now, poor form on the field, and now Hughes' departure imminent (who knows if this will be a good thing or bad for the club)...

It just feels that for a club of our size this could all be a bit too much for us to deal with in one hit... I could of course be a million miles off-path with this and we've some top dollar footballing exec lined up to come in and give us the best Jan window ever seen... Time will tell I guess...

Remember how Everton thought they had upgraded their recruitment set up by poaching Leicester’s highly-rated Steve Walsh and this was a disastrous for them.

Brighton and Brentford have a great set up but that takes time, resources as well as expertise.

Easy to go wrong and, it must be remembered that, a lot of clubs are fishing in the same pool. Still think afcb are harder sell than for some clubs especially with such an underwhelming ground and relegation risk. Sometimes, the least bad signing has to do in contrast to your first choice options.

;