That Liverpool Game

canadiancherry

Star Player
Now that summer is here, there's some breathing room to reflect back on the highlights of the season. My 9 year old son and I re-watched the 4-3 win over Liverpool yesterday.
(it's on footballia.net - free to sign up and they have games going back to the 1950's from all over the world)
Anyway, watching it "fresh" a second time brought different impressions to when I first saw it.
Some impressions that sort of surprised me:
* Liverpool dominated the first half, and the beginning of the 2nd, but we weren't as crap as I remember. We were still legitimately in the game.
* I forgot about the missed penalty call on Ake in the Liverpool box.
* It was actually shocking how many times I saw Ake's locks bouncing around in the Liverpool box. Seems half the game he was sprinting back to avoid getting caught out of position. But definitely someone who likes to attack.
* Ibe came on at the half for the mostly ineffective King and actually played really well. He probably created 3 genuine scoring chances up the left side, including the winning goal. Having seen it again, he waits until he draws in the second defender before laying off to Cook, which allowed Cook to waltz in and fire the blast that Karius couldn't control.
* Fraser. Wow. Fraser. It is electrifying seeing again how he utterly transformed the game. The funniest thing is, when the commentators see him coming on, they make a comment to the effect of, "oh, well when you're a small, poor club like Bournemouth you can't really afford to have very much depth and this is the sort of substitution you are forced to make" (since he came on for the injured Stanislas). He literally won a penalty within seconds of coming on. His play was even more impressive than I remembered it.
* Wilson - often got into good spaces, but unfortunately often had a poor final touch. Ought to have scored, or assisted, at least once based on the chances he was given.
* Boruc - I forgot how awful he was on the first two goals. And then almost carrying the ball over the line. But the look on his face when Ake scored almost makes up for it all.

What are your thoughts / memories?
And remember you can re-watch the whole game online.

Good observations here especially about Ibe and Fraser - Fraser's performance must rank even higher than Jamie Hayter's 2004 hattrick as the best substitute performance in an AFCB shirt. Ibe wasn't anywhere near Fraser's level but he had a very good game - no coincidence that he started at Anfield (although he was rubbish up there).

Where does it rank in comeback victories?

Better than home to Boston but behind Swansea away?

What a game that was. Plenty of outstanding examples of football skills but my abiding memories are the way boruc celebrated plus our captain "doing the franno" when the winner goes in. Just shows the passion and heart this team has.

SlowDownDerek - 27/6/2017 22:28

Good observations here especially about Ibe and Fraser - Fraser's performance must rank even higher than Jamie Hayter's 2004 hattrick as the best substitute performance in an AFCB shirt. Ibe wasn't anywhere near Fraser's level but he had a very good game - no coincidence that he started at Anfield (although he was rubbish up there).
Well, nobody in that game could equal Fraser. He was utterly superb.
I should also mention that Gosling stood out to me as having a really good game. Didn't do anything spectacular, but made a lot of quick, accurate passes in very narrow spaces. Wilshere had some good moments, but lost the ball quite often.
Great memories, and was fantastic watching it again.

What struck me was how near we were to going 4-0 down when Boruc carried the ball over the line,in any other season,the Lino probably would have given a goal but because of goal line technology,it showed it was literally a hairs breadth still in play.
The rest is history...

;