The Abuse of Kelly v3

Even blamed (by some) for first spuds goal..when Madison ran off our right sided centre back

I'm surprised he wasn't blamed for spuds second. Oh no that was Semenyo who gave up chasing their left back
I don’t agree with booing your own players or picking one person out that’s wrong, but do understand an element of the frustration with Lloyd Kelly

There was more than one person at fault for both goals as would normally be expected but he did play a part in both.

However for the first goal Maddison, did run off Rothwell and Zabarnyi to score but this was only possible as Kelly was deeper than Aarons, Kerkez and IZ, this did seem to happen more than once so potentially tactical but normally you want your defence in a line LK was generally deeper which limits your ability to play offside.

2nd goal was good play but we didn’t compete, Semenyo didn’t get back, couple of opportunities to make a tackle on edge of box all missed, then players including Kelly and Kerkez static in the box and no one going with or passing on the attacker Kilusevski who was the only one attacking that ball inside our 6 yard box.

I think Kelly will and should move on as I simply think he needs a new start, don’t think he is a bad player, just think he doesn’t fit with how we play, we seem to play better without him and he doesn’t seem to be happy so would seem to make sense.

Not going to boo him, not going to shout at him just think others offer us more, but like I said could be tactical and certainly wasn’t the only one at fault.

I don’t agree with booing your own players or picking one person out that’s wrong, but do understand an element of the frustration with Lloyd Kelly

There was more than one person at fault for both goals as would normally be expected but he did play a part in both.

However for the first goal Maddison, did run off Rothwell and Zabarnyi to score but this was only possible as Kelly was deeper than Aarons, Kerkez and IZ, this did seem to happen more than once so potentially tactical but normally you want your defence in a line LK was generally deeper which limits your ability to play offside.

2nd goal was good play but we didn’t compete, Semenyo didn’t get back, couple of opportunities to make a tackle on edge of box all missed, then players including Kelly and Kerkez static in the box and no one going with or passing on the attacker Kilusevski who was the only one attacking that ball inside our 6 yard box.

I think Kelly will and should move on as I simply think he needs a new start, don’t think he is a bad player, just think he doesn’t fit with how we play, we seem to play better without him and he doesn’t seem to be happy so would seem to make sense.

Not going to boo him, not going to shout at him just think others offer us more, but like I said could be tactical and certainly wasn’t the only one at fault.

Maddison ran from deep through the right channel. Kelly's depper position was irrelevant because he would have been onside whether Kelly was deeper or not.

He's a decent player and capable of becoming a good/very good player in the PL.

It'd be a shame to see him leave, particularly on a free.

Unfortunately his card is marked by many fans, and unless he really steps up, never makes a mistake, there'll be a section of our fanbase on high alert to get on his back... particularly if tge team is underperforming as thr season progresses.

Not sure there is a way back for Kelly as even if he begins to win 'those' fans over, it will only take one bad game for it to all come back again... I've never understood why some fans feel it is helpful to berate your own players so vociferously that it is obvious they will her you... Especially at DC...

I think Kelly was a victim of GON's slow, defensive play that none of us really took to... I for one hope he stays and continues to compete for a slot in our central defence, however, his play will need to speed up to suit AI's tactics and style...

Last edited:
Echo now on subscription. That’s hilarious. Has anyone ever read anything in the Echo they didn’t see on Twitter the week before? Good luck with that!
I don't think the subscription is AFCB specific... I can read all the content on the ECHO site (including this Kelly article) and it's a negligible fee, something like £2 pcm... Maybe they have a different fee for just sport but I can't tell... Can't be more than what the whole site charges, which as mentioned, is pennies...

Updated to say it is £1 pcm... For the whole site...

If I was Kelly i'd be two fingers up to his detractors and seeking a move to a Football Town somewhere.

We must be one of the most meek and mild mannered fanbases around.

I'm sure many of us will have been to proper "Football Towns" for away games, and seen first hand how they can turn en mass on their own team. Say they have a poor opening 20-30 mins, or god forbid little old AFCB take the lead.

Not sure there is a way back for Kelly as even if he begins to win 'those' fans over, it will only take one bad game for it to all come back again... I've never understood why some fans feel it is helpful to berate your own players so vociferously that it is obvious they will her you... Especially at DC...

I think Kelly was a victim of GON's slow, defensive play that none of us really took to... I for one hope he stays and continues to compete for a slot in our central defence, however, his play will need to speed up to suit AI's tactics and style...

Not sure whether it's down to culture at football... entitled to scream at someone at football match ...safety of anonymity from person youre directing it at (plus safety in numbers). I can't think of any/many other places in life where is acceptable to behave like that? Screaming/booing/shouting at someone like that... try doing it to someone down the high St at lunch and see what happens. They're a bit like cowards who shout out their cars/vans at people.

People are stressed in their life or at the team... perhaps a mental/emotional release - screaming at someone. Like releasing a pressure valve.

Or maybe just thick and/or have poor self control.

Last edited:
Not sure whether it's down to culture at football... entitled to scream at someone at football match ...safety of anonymity from person youre directing it at (plus safety in numbers). I can't think of any/many other places in life where is acceptable to behave like that? Screaming/booing/shouting at someone like that... try doing it to someone down the high St at lunch and see what happens. They're a bit like cowards who shout out their cars/vans at people.

People are stressed in their life or at the team... perhaps a mental/emotional release - screaming at someone. Like releasing a pressure valve.

Or maybe just thick and/or have poor self control.

I have seen screaming, shouting etc at Littledown Juniors when the Rev ran it.

That was from some of the fathers. :grinning:

...again though, it begs the question if Kelly will be up for fighting for scraps behind Senesi and Kerkez... This coupled with his issues with the crowd over the last 12 months, and for me I can't see any other outcome than him leaving... Which would be sad as IMO that decision would be swayed by the hostilities with the crowd... Without that he might decide fighting for his place is better than uprooting...

senesi we paid reported 10.5 mill for in 2022
Kelly we paid a reported 13 mill for in 2019
I wouldn't say senesi was the expensive one

I think he's trying to suggest Senesi was poor value for money compared to Kelly. Funny that's it's just after Druss saying how Senesi is by far the superior player. Tbh I think they are both good players but neither anywhere near Nathan Ake levels hence why they were so much cheaper.

senesi we paid reported 10.5 mill for in 2022
Kelly we paid a reported 13 mill for in 2019
I wouldn't say senesi was the expensive one
Value has nothing to do with fee. Kelly captained us back into the PL which earned the club 200m…

He is a better player than Senesi. Don’t ask me, look what managers do when he is fit and not needed at left back.

He may have been more expensive but he is far better value. Just like Maddison at 40m is better value than Hamed Traore at 25m

Value has nothing to do with fee. Kelly captained us back into the PL which earned the club 200m…

He is a better player than Senesi. Don’t ask me, look what managers do when he is fit and not needed at left back.

He may have been more expensive but he is far better value. Just like Maddison at 40m is better value than Hamed Traore at 25m

Nothing will stop Neil banging this drum. Funny how Semenyo fails to make the cut in these posts these days. He used to be such a feature.

Senesi is good value at £10.5m all day long.

personally I would say senesi has better attributes then Kelly but that's not saying I don't rate Kelly just senesi gives us more
in my eyes Kelly has the edge on speed and 1on1 defending over senesi but senesi seems better with his passing and his positioning and I think we look stronger with senesi at the back saying that Kelly has seems low on confidence for a year now so is it a fair comparison as Kelly is a confidence player

Both make mistakes, but Senesi has more raw passion, aggression, and passing range... I. genuinely think he is more suited to Iraola's game but only time will tell with both now fit and vying for the 1 position...

;