The Abuse of Kelly v3

To me there’s no doubt that Kelly is suffering with anxiety/lack of confidence that is hampering his performances. This manifests with some ponderance in his play, and not being commital at this level can cause problems.
In the seconds before his yellow card, covering down the left, he knew he was in a foot race to get to the ball first but he held back, as if unsure if to hold, maybe the ball was going into touch. Then in the last 10 strides he went full tilt and ended up being late in the tackle.
He also seems to get better as a game goes on, which to me is another indicator.

As for him leaving obviously it’s his call but I’d love him to decide he was going to work through this patch at AFCB. At least he could then move on with confidence and not take the baggage with him.
I think he is a good player who is having a tricky patch in his development, when he first arrived he was the zippiest passer into midfield.

To me there’s no doubt that Kelly is suffering with anxiety/lack of confidence that is hampering his performances. This manifests with some ponderance in his play, and not being commital at this level can cause problems.
In the seconds before his yellow card, covering down the left, he knew he was in a foot race to get to the ball first but he held back, as if unsure if to hold, maybe the ball was going into touch. Then in the last 10 strides he went full tilt and ended up being late in the tackle.
He also seems to get better as a game goes on, which to me is another indicator.

As for him leaving obviously it’s his call but I’d love him to decide he was going to work through this patch at AFCB. At least he could then move on with confidence and not take the baggage with him.
I think he is a good player who is having a tricky patch in his development, when he first arrived he was the zippiest passer into midfield.

Shame isnt it.

Bit like the booing at him last season. One of the worse feelings I've experienced at a live game tbh. Felt so sorry for him at the time, regardless of how much he is/isn't getting paid.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying Rob, these players are playing elite level football, and are paid the amounts they are paid because they are (or should be) capable of reading and making these split second movements and decisions...

Whilst it obviously happens a lot, ball watching is a criminal offence in defence... When you see the move played out, Zabarnyi is so flat footed, Maddison has pretty much knocked the ball past Neto before he's even turned...

These are things I hope Andoni can start to coach, as I appreciate the lad is young, but he's played at international level and probably should do better... IMO
They're elite players competing against other elite, and sometimes eliter, players. They will make mistakes, and they will learn from them. Or sometimes not.

Yes but Al put him straight in first opportunity ahead of a fit Senesi. What does that tell you about what he thinks. Reply to Cherrybare

That he thought he'd be a better starter V Spurs.

Funny how Kelly starting on Saturday is a sign that our recruitment since Howe is rubbish but the fact that Semenyo and Kluivert started over Brooks and Anthony isn't. Apparently the Starting line up in the West Ham game is what's relevant for the forward players. It's so difficult to keep track of these rules.

Value has nothing to do with fee. Kelly captained us back into the PL which earned the club 200m…

He is a better player than Senesi. Don’t ask me, look what managers do when he is fit and not needed at left back.

He may have been more expensive but he is far better value. Just like Maddison at 40m is better value than Hamed Traore at 25m

If you didn't want to talk about their fee why did you compare the players on expense?

Yes but Al put him straight in first opportunity ahead of a fit Senesi. What does that tell you about what he thinks. Reply to Cherrybare
Well its good your basing this on such high statistical numbers, one game.
I dont have an issue with Kelly, but I don't think there's much between them. I think they will start a similar number of games this season.

Personally I prefer Senesi, his passing and positional play is way better, and Kelly just frustrates me at how he slows the game down when he has the ball.
Let's be honest there's not a lot in it, they're both good players.
In terms of your comment re managers picking Kelly over senesi, you can only be counting O'Neil. Parker had senesi for 2 games, and AI for one game when they both could have started.
Blimey , we agree on something. Can we not make this a habit please

Also shows how far away Kelly and Aaron's were from the spurs players both of which could also have been passed to too easily. Also how have we ended up 3 on 3 on the dge of our box?

Neither of those are flat footed though. Kelly's strength is fast reaction time so he's in a great position to close down the no. 8 if he got the ball.

Kelly is a confidence player. His confidence has been shot. He was terrible against Spurs. I prefer him as a left back. Tipped as a future England centre back, signed by Eddie Howe, no doubting a top defender in there, I think a fresh start would be good for him.
Our fans are pretty bad at getting on people's backs, Billing and Dom get stick and they are 2 of our best players, and seen by the outside world as our 2 very best players.

Kelly was straight horse **************** against Spurs, don't see how anyone would think any differently. Senesi is the better player by far and I will always say that. Not going to say something extreme such as get rid of Kelly as he has been a big part of the club the past few years, but will say he is just an ok depth guy right now, nothing more.

Is young though so maybe can reach the level some thought he could.

Kelly was straight horse **************** against Spurs, don't see how anyone would think any differently. Senesi is the better player by far and I will always say that. Not going to say something extreme such as get rid of Kelly as he has been a big part of the club the past few years, but will say he is just an ok depth guy right now, nothing more.

Is young though so maybe can reach the level some thought he could.

If that is AI's assessment then we'd be better of selling him now instead of having him walk for free next summer. Somehow, I think he's much more highly rated than that.

I also thought he was better that Zabarnyi on Saturday but, as has already been said, he's still getting into the groove of English football.

;