The art of shithousery

Brett used to get mangled on £1.50 mixers at Bliss and Toko back in day.
But he had a natural born talent for scoring goals. He was a proper striker imagine how better he would've been if he didn't go out on the piss, he'd be Henry

Yeah, I heard from mate of Howe that Pitman used to always return from pre season overweight, and struggling with fitness.

Howe was happy to give him extra tlc to get best from him. I suspect unlike many other managers would, as evidenced during time at AShton Gate. Excellent goal return there, bearing in mind in and out of team. But manager was replaced, and he quickly fell down pecking order. Like you say, natural ability was there, but clearly didn't have professional 'athlete' mindset, that the game was changing too during that era.

Pirlo book was interesting read along those lines. He didn't alude to drinking, poor life style, but he hated any fitness work, just wanted ball at his feet all the time, and wasn't interested in any dedicated fitness training.

Most managers gave him a pass, due to his obvious genius, whereas some saw it as bad attititude, not a 'team player', and he was frozen out at points.

Saw himself as an artist, talented footballer, not an athlete, and despised any running/fitness work. Had a serious issue with coaches that forced him into it and didnt share his point of view.

Was in the east stand queue a few games ago and there were two old blokes chatting. Seemed like a regular had brought a mate along who'd spotted the picture of Anderton and said he'd not realised he played for AFCB. The other bloke then went on about how shite he was, how he played like he thought he was too big for the club, didn't track back etc....

I mean I know it's all about opinions but that is just wrong. He was brilliant for us.

Yep. Some players get a pass, when they're clearly way above rest of players at given level. Particularly when you consider our standigns/stature and lack of finances back then.

Beggars can't be choosers, and he brought far more than we lost, by not having some limited cm, who ran around a lot in his place.

His attitude was good too, not like he couldnt be arsed.

Like you say, everyone has opinion, but can't believe anyone would look back and see his inclusion (and contribution) as a negative. Give head a wobble!

Darren was a magical player, at l2 level you could see how classy he was and that winning half volley against Chester in his last game summed up how good he was
For a player that was labelled sick note he played well over 500 professional games. Class act and for us that winning goal very late on against Chester had great significance in our Great Escape.

Yep. Some players get a pass, when they're clearly way above rest of players at given level. Particularly when you consider our standigns/stature and lack of finances back then.

Beggars can't be choosers, and he brought far more than we lost, by not having some limited cm, who ran around a lot in his place.

His attitude was good too, not like he couldnt be arsed.

His tackling was something that actually surprised and impressed me the most. He was great defensively and hard as nails contrary to his fragile reputation. There wasn't a lot to get excited about in those days but he was great to watch.

His tackling was something that actually surprised and impressed me the most. He was great defensively and hard as nails contrary to his fragile reputation. There wasn't a lot to get excited about in those days but he was great to watch.

Yes, he was no wet blanket.

Fresh/boyish looks and floppy hair too, probably contributed to perception of being a bit soft, perhaps.

A bit suprisied seeing him getting hammered all the time on nights out, in certain clubs. As perception was he was a 'good boy', with little/no edge to him.

Think he started career at Pompey as a flying winger, which again, perhaps a position thought of as having higher % of less brave footballers. But clearly could mix it up, and had wand of a right foot, intelligence. Not disimilar to Beckham, overall I guess... maybe.

Darren Anderton.
Never one to shy away from glancing around to see where the ref was looking, and then stepping out into the path on an onrushing midfielder to blatantly bodycheck them. And then when the plaintive cries of the felled player were heard and the ref looked over, Anderton was 5 yards away preparing to receive the ball.
I presume this tactic also meant he didn't have to run around too much, and allowed him more time to ping a 30-yard ball into the path of where a premier league winger would no doubt have been.
That's exactly how I saw him.

Neil Moss was rather good at shithousery. The more switched-on ref would brandish the Yellow Card for some of his antics.

Was in the east stand queue a few games ago and there were two old blokes chatting. Seemed like a regular had brought a mate along who'd spotted the picture of Anderton and said he'd not realised he played for AFCB. The other bloke then went on about how shite he was, how he played like he thought he was too big for the club, didn't track back etc....

I mean I know it's all about opinions but that is just wrong. He was brilliant for us.
I trust you told him how wrong he was. :grinning:

Lerma was a master at it. That Watford game in the Covid season where he started a 21-man brawl in injury time as we were holding onto a lead, and somehow got away with it. Think that also started the whole Local Man Is Pleased/Promoted saga.

I'll also add Marvin Bartley into the mix. Always liked to leave a boot in and start something when the ref's back was turned.
What I liked most about this incident was he was on the outside watching the brawl.

I noticed our shithousery was pretty good in the second half on sunday. plenty of timewasting, slowing the game down. saw AI go mad at super mark travers for being too speedy passing the ball out, he obviously wanted to see him hang onto it for a bit. the bha players were getting exasperated - great to watch - horrible to be on the receiving end of!

You can't say how bad Gillingham were without mentioning
Andy Hessenthaler......... :thumbup:

Absolutely. He popped into my head several times when i typed my original message.

Had Some banter with him when he was sub later in his career, for Gillingham still iirc.

He was warming up down touchline. And was getting odd bit of abuse from main stand (I've rarely sat in that stand). Think gills were ahead and he was doing somewhat covert w4nker signs to bmouth fans, grinning.

Officials were having a mare. One of them quite tall. I was saying silly stuff like we know you're sucking the link off yku pr1ck, no handjoB needed as you don't have to even bend down you dirty little dwarf. He laughed initially giving me w4nker sign. After about 4th time he started to lose his sense of humour. Poor little thing.

;