The Athletic

I just found out about this and I think it’s exactly what football journalism needs. A lot of reporters have been moaning recently about having to do copy+paste and / or click bait articles. They are being judged on the number of hits they generate rather than the quality of their work.

More than most on here, I get frustrated about all the obviously nonsense articles which appear in the press and internet. I get even more frustrated how so many fans religiously believe every article they read despite so many proving utter nonsense.

It’s hard to blame the journalists for writing this BS - they’d be out of a job if they didn’t. I’m sure some fans enjoy all the gossip but if The Athletic can prove itself as a place for intelligent football discussion it could be superb.

I've been subscribed to the American site. Make sure it has your teams covered or might not be worth it. But it keeps adding writers continuously and as mentioned, the articles are deeper on different subjects. So, I started it because of my favorite college football team. It has writers covering teams of all the major American sports, but not all teams have a writer yet. Some teams have multiple.
Its (American Athletic) soccer coverage is only Big 6, so that was disappointing. But over time, I would read articles on a lot of other sports, just because they are good articles and very interesting. So, hopefully, the UK version will grow accordingly.

Yeah, I've also been a subscriber because of Amercian sports and the quality of the writing is brilliant. You can tell these journalists are close to the team/players and provide extra pieces of insight that the tabloids don't provide.

Even in one of the first AFCB articles, there was some good insight about Lloyd Kelly - 'after proving his qualities in La Manga to such an extent that senior players including Wilson and Brooks complained they could not get past him in training'

Well worth the subscription fee, especially when it's now at 50% off

Yeah, I've also been a subscriber because of Amercian sports and the quality of the writing is brilliant. You can tell these journalists are close to the team/players and provide extra pieces of insight that the tabloids don't provide.

Even in one of the first AFCB articles, there was some good insight about Lloyd Kelly - 'after proving his qualities in La Manga to such an extent that senior players including Wilson and Brooks complained they could not get past him in training'

Well worth the subscription fee, especially when it's now at 50% off

FFS, cheers Harry

So we do have coverage for sure? The website hasn't listed Alex Crook yet.

I couldn't justify the 9.99 a month....but 2.49 a month is good...they take that at the end of the month trial do they, 12 x 2.49?

I couldn't justify the 9.99 a month....but 2.49 a month is good...they take that at the end of the month trial do they, 12 x 2.49?

Yes, and to my understanding, you can cancel before the first payment comes out if you don’t like it....

AFC Bournemouth have two articles up currently about our signings and the La manga trip... both well written by a Alex Crook

They take 12 x £2.49 after the 30 day trial expires. If you want to be billed monthly the price is more.

I found they quoted me double to subscribe via the App than the website. Having now signed up via the website, I can access all content via the app so no idea what that’s all about. Anyway £29.88 for 13 months is good value

Thanks....and yes, can't grumble at that cost, just wanted to make sure I got it right in my head! Nothing much to lose then, if I don't use it, just cancel. But would be nice to have some proper writing to look at, instead of the sensationalist stuff in the usual papers.

OK...just signed up.....see its about £60 for the following year so lets hope they deliver! I did get a link for someone to get 40% off and I get an Amazon credit but as anyone can get it for half price at the minute anyway, I'll not bother to share the link!

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. Certainly agree that under £30 for 13 months is fine with the prospect of some decent journalism. Found this with a longer list of names...
https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/...-journalists-on-the-athletics-uk-launch-team/
I also got a reply from Alex Crook as he tweeted about covering us for a month and he replied "I'm hoping to do a few freelance bits beyond my month loan". The guy on the list, Peter Rutzler, is a newbie working for the FailOnline. He might be great of course but local knowledge and contacts go a long way. Brighton have Andy Naylor who is moving across after 32 years with the Argus for example - still time Neil Perrett!!

I have a subscription, had it ever since my favorite writer for the Atlanta Braves baseball team left the Atlanta newspaper for The Athletic. Well worth the price. Once I got the subscription, I found myself reading articles about teams and sports I usually don't follow due to the wonderful writing...that's the sign of good journalism. They have started doing podcasts too.
I have a link/code that will get 40% off, let me know if you want me to pass it along.

Reactions: OBX
I have not, and never have paid for individual football sites.
But it is not an individual football site. If it does like the American version, it will spread to Cricket, Rugby, Croquet and Polo, and whatever other sports are popular in UK. I would compare it more to the old Sports Illustrated from when I was a kid. It just has articles that are pretty in depth across the spectrum.

I have a subscription, had it ever since my favorite writer for the Atlanta Braves baseball team left the Atlanta newspaper for The Athletic. Well worth the price. Once I got the subscription, I found myself reading articles about teams and sports I usually don't follow due to the wonderful writing...that's the sign of good journalism. They have started doing podcasts too.
I have a link/code that will get 40% off, let me know if you want me to pass it along.
I'm a Braves fan, as well! Grew up in Richmond, VA, home of the Triple A Richmond Braves!

;