The Bournemouth way...

Francis for the second goal - yeah, he made the error but really, the rest of defence and midfield should really have been more prepared to get and cover as soon as he went on that run. Pretty basic stuff really??

Quality - I don't really buy anyone saying some are out of their depth, this is now the third season at this level and they have all proved they can hold their own. Maybe a couple are now back on their way downhill and we will need extra quality to be more comfortable....but they all deserve the credit for getting us here and keeping us here!

The Bournemouth Way - every time, since we came up, that we have a bad run or let a few goals in, we get the same experts saying we should change how we play. And then we see that we've won enough games to get up the table again. We all get mad over the really stupid goals we concede sometimes but we are still far from having the worst defence in the league. And other fans are often commenting on how we look dangerous going forward. It can drive us all mad sometimes but I think I would rather we kept on going!

The point of the original post was not should we stop playing the Bournemouth way but whether there was a less kamikaze way of playing it. Several experts (let’s not get hung up on Souness he was just the latest ) have suggested we do it in less threatening positions, to me that’s as simple as centre halfs not going up the wing unless chasing a game in the last ten minutes or unless you have a proper defensive midfielder who drops back.

Do both those things and we can enjoy everything we love about our style of football with less goals against.

Probably best not to label these ex players and failed mangers as experts Neil... they are just people who are paid for an opinion even when they don't really have one.... as such 99% of it is just uninformed drivel.

Several experts have suggested we do it in less threatening positions

These experts are expert in stating the bleeding obvious, making a mistake nearer your own goal is more dangerous than making a mistake near the opponents goal, wow, no kidding sherlock.

Are they advising the struggling against relegation pragmatic teams to be braver with the ball ?

Better defending as a team and more movement off the ball to offer more options to the player with the ball are the way ahead for the rest of the season.

Agree ^^^
Souness, Merson, Thompson even Neville have all had a shot at management and come up woefully short . Fair play that they are thick skinned enough to take easy money to spout advise at vastly more successful managers than themselves but let’s not buy in like some cult like star struck teenagers

Let’s look at watch actually happens in the bigger picture.
We as a nation cry out for forward thinking football playing ENGLISH managers,
We have one not Allardyce, Pulis or even Dyche dogged football strangling survival style but brave and progressive .
This happy medium may seem the perfect solution but unless you look at each goal and analyse what should have happened we are clutching at straws .
Starting with Brighton’s 2nd goal which I suspect prompted this thread short of Francis , stopping and checking back or the ball thunped forward for the keeper on a wet windy day we tried the right thing to exploit space created by Ibe’s in field movement .

not sure that Souness came up 'woefully short' in management. He has a few trophies that proves otherwise (admittedly a fair few of them in 2 horse leagues)

JIMNNINA - 3/1/2018 10:34

Several experts have suggested we do it in less threatening positions

These experts are expert in stating the bleeding obvious, making a mistake nearer your own goal is more dangerous than making a mistake near the opponents goal, wow, no kidding sherlock.

Are they advising the struggling against relegation pragmatic teams to be braver with the ball ?

Better defending as a team and more movement off the ball to offer more options to the player with the ball are the way ahead for the rest of the season.

Agree. It's not rocket science - just cut out stupid mistakes. There's no philosophy that advocates passing it to the opposition when everyone is out of position.

Interesting debate on experts that probably deserves its own thread. I value a lot of opinions I read on here by people far less qualified to make them than Gary Neville or Graeme Souness. What is the qualification for making a point DanSouth?

Maybe Souness was an excellent tactical manager but it was other areas that stopped him becoming a great manager...man management or team spirit creation.

Are you trying to say if you haven't managed a team that finished higher than sixth in the PL then you are in no place to talk about Bournemouths tactics?

Neil Dawson - 3/1/2018 12:59

Interesting debate on experts that probably deserves its own thread. I value a lot of opinions I read on here by people far less qualified to make them than Gary Neville or Graeme Souness. What is the qualification for making a point DanSouth?

Maybe Souness was an excellent tactical manager but it was other areas that stopped him becoming a great manager...man management or team spirit creation.

Are you trying to say if you haven't managed a team that finished higher than sixth in the PL then you are in no place to talk about Bournemouths tactics?

Well despite his well used "I'm a season ticket holder" line, the point is the supporters are experts on us. The pundits have to be knowledgeable on all clubs and thus cannot possibly be experts on everyone.

They are also experts on football in general during the period they were active. But football methods move on quickly, leaving most of the pundits behind.

Or if you're Martin Keown you were always behind...

There's very few pundits which give any useful tactical insight. Neville and Carragher might not be popular but they do give a good insight. Jermaine Jenus is the best on BBC and I'm really struggling to find anyone else.

Souness is probably above average IMO...

Jermaine Jenas is by far the best pundit on MOTD. The rest are just "observers of highlights". Though there are a few that are more tolerable though, Shearers improved a bit, Danny Murphy is decent. Kevin Kilbane is actually pretty good too.

...as with all punditry fans of clubs only really hear what they want to hear from them, in general there are very few who I respect but many I can't stand for their one-eyed big team views...I look for some humour, and something deeply tactical.

I used to like Graham Taylor's views as he had been on the journey through the leagues up to our national manager...also respected Bobby Robson hugely for his insight into the game..

Neil .
No your opening points to this thread quotes Souness fairly gushingly and certainly alludes to the fact we should listen to him due to his history.
Anyone can make a point but if someone champions it , surely we can offer counter arguments ?
For me the bottom line is this we are competing against teams with £100 million pound players and doing very nicely with the £5 million pound versions, the right way.
We are seldom not entertained, many thousands of fans cannot say the same .
I love our style and attempts to work the ball into valid overload situations works enough for me to argue NO change to our WAY !

David Pleat is usually spot on with his perceptive comments when on the radio as is Pat Nevin and Chris Waddle.

Tinpot Club - 3/1/2018 13:50

Speaking of dodgy pundits

Garth Crooks is saying on the BBC website that Liverpool should offer £45m for Lewis Dunk!

Right after signing Van Dijk for £70 odd million?

Is he broken?

I was at the Stadio Olimpico when Souness captained Liverpool to win the European Cup in what was effectively an away game against Roma in 1984. The atmosphere was hostile in the extreme. Souness was very influential and scored one of the penalties in the penalty shootout after extra time It may have been a long time ago, and football may have moved on, but he should know something about decision making and winning in difficult situations when fatigued.

He also comes and watches us a lot and, I think, appreciates how we want to play. If we aren't going to take any notice of Souness who are we going to listen to?

Regarding pundits, I generally watch final score and enjoy the punditry most of the time. I like Jason Mohammed, the normal presenter, but groan when Crooks is on but have a good laugh at some of the faces he makes. As for the woman with the dead badger on her head, well that's a different story! Jenas and Murphy are to me among the better ones.

Sorry Roger - 3/1/2018 17:37

He also comes and watches us a lot and, I think, appreciates how we want to play. If we aren't going to take any notice of Souness who are we going to listen to?

Eddie is his own man and makes his own decisions and probably consults JT and coaching staff.

He might take on board what Souness says, at the end of the day the manager’s best laid plans have to be implemented by the players and players are humans and make mistakes.

Who knows in years to come there may be robots playing the game.:grin:

;