The highs and highs of Howe at Bournemouth

The video description calls him '...the former manager of Bournemouth FC...'

And he's being interviewed by that bitter charisma hole of a failed children's tv presenter...

Can someone sum it up for me so I don't have to watch it?

Anyone had the chance to watch it yet?
Yep, watched it tonight... I'd say it's an exceptional interview, from both interviewers and interviewee... Some great questions, and as we'd expect, some great, insightful responses....

I'm not sure if it was just me, but I felt Eddie seemed to purposely not talk too much about Bournemouth, and when he did, he barely mentioned the club's name... just answered the questions in footballing terms... Not a negative observation, just an observation... He is more than Bournemouth now and only right he is recognised for more than his 12 years at DC ...

For the most, this interview was about Eddie and his transition from 'then' to 'now'...

Also, in response to some of the comments about Eddie saying it was his decision to quit, he also started by saying it was a mutual decision, and that he would have left us even if we'd have stayed up... It was just time for him to have a break...

Read into that what you will... Even if he was pushed, Eddie would never say anything negative about anyone in public...

Anyhow... A great listen...

Interesting to hear it directly from his mouth that it was a mutual decision to leave. Anyone with a single credible scrap of “in the knowism” knew he was going to leave. It was being bandied about as early as January that season, he even nearly joined Everton; he was never staying. All that shite about JT “stabbing him in the back” was obviously bullshit, too.

Even if you you didn’t have a friend in the know, you just had to look at his eyes that season. He was done. He took a whole year off to recharge and he looks a lot happier now so I’m happy for him.

Great insight into Eddie and his way of working. I doubt there are many top managers who are as thorough and deep thinking as him. Truly inspiring man.

Eddie might be one of the most dignified football professionals of the modern age. He'd taken us as far as we could go, he gave it absolutely everything he could and I'm delighted he's having so much success. Can't wait for him to have a crack at England one day.

Fixed that for you :)

Fascinating to watch. An incredible man and we are so fortunate for him to have lead us on our journey. We always knew he was going to leave and we can take reflected pride in all he achieves.

Just finished watching the full 1 hour 30 + minutes version of the interview, after first watching the 8 minute introduction one and the 1 minute or so of why Eddie left our club.

It was mentioned that he sat down with those involved at our club and thoroughly discussed the situation with them and said it was a joint decision for Eddie to leave and done in a very amicable friendly atmosphere from what he said. So hopefully that will finally answer a few questions and put them to bed.

From the short version it gave the impression Eddie made the decision, which on reflection after listening to the full version I believe he did.

In the main video it was a very interesting and in depth interview with Eddie by Jake Humphrey who I recognised, but couldn’t quite place where I had seen him before until I looked up who the two presenters were. The other one was leading organisational psychologist Professor Damian Hughes.

We were all sorry to see Eddie leave our club, he had given us exciting attacking football, the last time I really remembered football like that was in the John Bond era. Plus Eddie took us up into the top league for the very first time.

Eddie has moved on now and is managing a club in a very nice area of our country, so hopefully he and his family will be happy there.

Impressive and depressing in equal measure.

Eddie has to be one of the most eloquent, empathetic, forward thinking, contemporary managers in the modern game and has already proved himself at Newcastle.

It is a little depressing to think that we have lost such a great manager and what we might have further achieved under his management.

Thought it was very sad how he kept referring to our relegation as a failure. It certainly wasn’t on his part. Sure as an ultra critical character he’ll find little threads to pull and unravel, but ultimately it wasn’t a failure on his part.

Relegation is the ultimate reality for every club in the Premier League outside of the top seven, it’s just a matter of when, not if, you go down. To have had five years is a success, a ridiculous success which wouldn’t have happened without him and everything he did.

Hopefully in his period of reflection he realised that.

In 40 years time, his name will still be synonymous with the club. For example, like Graham Taylor still us with Watford. That's the scale of the impact he had, and the change in landscape he created for the club.

When the new stadium / stands are complete, if there isn't an Eddie Howe stand I'd be very surprised.

Thought it was very sad how he kept referring to our relegation as a failure. It certainly wasn’t on his part. Sure as an ultra critical character he’ll find little threads to pull and unravel, but ultimately it wasn’t a failure on his part.

Relegation is the ultimate reality for every club in the Premier League outside of the top seven, it’s just a matter of when, not if, you go down. To have had five years is a success, a ridiculous success which wouldn’t have happened without him and everything he did.

Hopefully in his period of reflection he realised that.

I get what you're saying, but it kind of is from a professional/results driven perspective. Who elses was it? Or was it no ones and deemed a decent season?

That said, I certainly don;t hold it against him of course, what he achieved vastly eclipses the relegation that season. I didn't want him to leave or what love to have him back, bad sadly thats unlikely to happen for many years, if at all.

If only the players had the same professional pride that he did.

Knew that was coming... re players.

He was their manager, so has to take responsibility for their poor performance, attitude imo. He didn;t deal with it effectively.

On reflection, I fired from hip too soon with this, like you say, length of time at this level was well beyond the usual 'life expectancy' of promoted clubs, never mind a tinpot outfit like us :D. Unrealistic to expect him to keep us indefinitely. The fact he stuck with us so long was fortunate really, if he was more selfish, probably would have moved on long before...

If he had, I doubt we would have lasted so long under someone else, unless we had astronomical levels of investment.

Last edited:
Knew that was coming... re players.

He was their manager, so has to take responsibility for their poor performance, attitude imo. He didn;t deal with it effectively.

And ultimately he has done, hence why he says as such and calls it a failure.

But it’s not the reason we went down. That group of players with some having a complete lack of professional pride and responsibility for their own performances played a far bigger part than any perceived errors from Howe.

Goal line technology failing, bizarre VAR decisions, a global pandemic, training bubbles for project restart all conspired against us as a club and Howe as the manager.

And ultimately he has done, hence why he says as such and calls it a failure.

But it’s not the reason we went down. That group of players with some having a complete lack of professional pride and responsibility for their own performances played a far bigger part than any perceived errors from Howe.

Goal line technology failing, bizarre VAR decisions, a global pandemic, training bubbles for project restart all conspired against us as a club and Howe as the manager.

Yes I think it was a culmination of difficult events. Several key players clearly not giving 100% (Fraser of course, King and Wilson off the top of my head).

Plus those other things you mention, all adds up against you, and you certainly can;t afford to have that when you're a small club who will generally always being playing for survial each season. Covid I have my doubts about, I know its been discussed at length before, but each club had to deal with it...obviously timing with key fixtures and us just showing signs of a turnaround before season was delayed, was unfortunate. Some of the performances were truely awful that season though, difficult for me to decide if our own fault having our fate contributed to by that ridiculous var being off goal, other decisions and us being cr4p too often though. But as this is Eddie we're talking about, guess we should be leaning towards him... he certainly earnt enough brownie points.

;