The I-Spy book of football

Losing to Maidstone utd away, mickey mouse cup, early 90s?
Are the the only team who have at some time been in the football league, we have 100% losing record , be it only that 1 game?
Our league record against Wimbledon FC is much worse than that. I went to the solitary draw in the Cup which probably counts as a mention in the Football I-Spy thread.

E75E103A-97AD-400A-8268-147E8C5818E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Great thread!

A violence theme...

Ted laying out the opposition centre half in his first season. Evening game at DC, ball up the other end, bloke was out cold, Ted strolled away.

Warren Cummings smashing it into the dugout at Aldershot

Neil Young's assault on the Brentford (?) winger when they played on
Younger's was Brentford.

May have been the one just after Princess Margaret died - we came in singing during the minute's silence LOL

Oh yeah forgot about this one.

Stockport away (AGAIN) - 2003 (the day we won the WC cup final)

Lost 3-2, Stockport thought they had won 4-2, but their striker had punched the ball in. It was spotted by the 4th official and he told the ref. Apparently the first time it had ever happened in the UK.

Seeing Chukkie's one goal at Bristol Rovers.

Our league record against Wimbledon FC is much worse than that. I went to the solitary draw in the Cup which probably counts as a mention in the Football I-Spy thread.

View attachment 13127Ah yes, of course, had forgotten all about them. Shocking record .
Going away to that draw is definitely worth a mention, I wasn't there, but remember the home defeat in the replay "bring on Southampton" etc, and all that embarrassing stuff

Bristol Rovers memories -
Winning at Twerton Park, Bath when The Gas were displaced.
Losing at The Memorial Ground when The Gas only had 9 men.
Seeing a late friend from Tolpuddle with very distinctive shoulder-length red hair on MOTD being frog-marched down the side of the pitch by Old Bill at Eastville having been ejected from The Tote.

Watching Ian Botham......play professional football.

A game interrupted by a bomb scare restart 20 minutes later (imagine how long that would take to sort out these days)

Sean O'Driscoll's mis-hit back pass gifting Brian McClair the decisive goal.

The one and only game at Wembley decided by a Golden Goal.

And of course, still the only team to score 5 in a play-off final.

Last edited:
At Ashton Gate when Wolves mascot Wolfie had a punch up with mascots dressed as the three little pigs.

Younger's was Brentford.

May have been the one just after Princess Margaret died - we came in singing during the minute's silence LOL
Different seasons, but both on the open terrace at the opposite end to the Griffin pub, we all piled in and I stood on the terrace whilst the minutes silence started and you all came in after a piss. Ricky said to me, what’s going on. Has George Best died? No Princess Margaret, oh, queue 25 seconds silence then he said, did she support Brentford then? Happy days

Home to Oxford in a dead rubber Mrs Miggins Pie Competition game, metal cable fell on us in the South Stand. It would soon be closed and we had the Brighton Beach End for a while after that

Oh yeah forgot about this one.

Stockport away (AGAIN) - 2003 (the day we won the WC cup final)

Lost 3-2, Stockport thought they had won 4-2, but their striker had punched the ball in. It was spotted by the 4th official and he told the ref. Apparently the first time it had ever happened in the UK.

Seeing Chukkie's one goal at Bristol Rovers.
I was there and remember that!

Dean Windass biting one of our players (Marcus Browning maybe?)

Free pies at Rochdale

Losing 3-0 at Accrington Stanley and players having a go at the fans

Lee Bradbury's goal celebration at Grimsby (team had been doing some boxing training)

Just a small selection from so many memories

I was there and remember that!
Right old day that was. Up there via Stoke, joining my Blackburn mate as they were playing United at OT.

Sadly there was a massive electrical supply issues and the trains were all screwed up. Got into Piccadilly and all footie fans were in the pub watching the rugby final - singing sweet chariot etc!

Just can't see that now..

;