The new England kit

I think Nike knew exactly what they were doing. The controversy is worth tons more than the "liberal" buy in. The corporate appropriation of these signifiers is an insult to the people it purportedly supports.

Sort of side note - been thinking about the George Cross and the national side a bit... anyone noticed that the crowd footage of the 1966 WC final shows everyone waving Union Jacks?

I think Nike knew exactly what they were doing. The controversy is worth tons more than the "liberal" buy in. The corporate appropriation of these signifiers is an insult to the people it purportedly supports.

Sort of side note - been thinking about the George Cross and the national side a bit... anyone noticed that the crowd footage of the 1966 WC final shows everyone waving Union Jacks?

It's a strange shift. Union flag very common until 1996 when it almost completely disappeared.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak says the design of the St George's Cross on the English Football team kit should not be "messed with".

Earlier, the Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer had also joined the chorus of prominent voices taking issue with design.

The new shirt design features the cross of St George in navy, light blue and purple on the back of the collar.

BBC News understands there are no plans to change or recall the shirt.

Speaking to reporters, Mr Sunak said he "prefers the original" and the national flag is a "source of pride" and identity.

I was pretty young at the time but retrospectively it seems to coincide with the rise in hate from the Jocks and to a lesser degree Welsh.

As for the kit, I think @Def_II_Royalz hit the nail on the head.

It was always a bit strange to wave Union flags at England games as the flag contains the colours of Scotland and Ireland. It makes sense at the Olympics where athletes are competing for the UK. The name Team GB should really upset those from Northern Ireland.

Has it been made explicit anywhere what the "play" of colours are supposed to signify? Sorry if I've missed that.

If Nike or the FA want to use the shirt and flag to make a social or political gesture / point etc, it's kinda lost if they don't have the balls to stand by it and make clear what the point is.

Worth considering that the kit costs £85 - £120 and is likely produced in poor conditions in Asian or African based Nike factories.

;