The wee turd.

Although ive embraced the concept of Stats in general....ive still got reservations about the validity of 'assists' as currently applied.

Fraser supplies Wilson with cross...goal....Fraser accredited with Assist ..ok.....but prior to that Lerma say, passed it to Fraser...Lerma had recieved the ball from say Daniels who had it rolled to him by Boruc. In theory they all 'assisted' the goal. Team effort...all contributed...so why are those passes not recorded as ' Assists'....they assisted the Goal! Well that would be silly bothering with all that wouldnt it ? Why not just leave it at ' goal'. What is gained by this isolated ..other stat?
I know many others share my view! Its bad enough strikers getting all the credit....i.e. Geoff Hurst.....not say, George Cohen in 66! Team Work!
Why complicate the game!

I don't care really, I was just responding to your comment Billy.

Presumably three were own goals, so can a player not claim an assist for an own goal?
Some goals can be created without an assist e.g. a player robbing a defender of the ball and scoring or intercepting a back pass

Begovic scored for Stoke against Southampton with a hoof up the pitch from an Erik Pieters back pass in 2013. That must be the most unlikely assist ever.

Amusingly Boruc was in goal for Saints that day. Not sure Badkeeper has ever talked about that goal.

Maybe somebody with better tech skills than me could post the video.

Although ive embraced the concept of Stats in general....ive still got reservations about the validity of 'assists' as currently applied.

Fraser supplies Wilson with cross...goal....Fraser accredited with Assist ..ok.....but prior to that Lerma say, passed it to Fraser...Lerma had recieved the ball from say Daniels who had it rolled to him by Boruc. In theory they all 'assisted' the goal. Team effort...all contributed...so why are those passes not recorded as ' Assists'....they assisted the Goal! Well that would be silly bothering with all that wouldnt it ? Why not just leave it at ' goal'. What is gained by this isolated ..other stat?
I know many others share my view! Its bad enough strikers getting all the credit....i.e. Geoff Hurst.....not say, George Cohen in 66! Team Work!
Why complicate the game!

The main issue with assists is that a really short easy pass can get the credit for an assist if someone bangs it in from 30 yards. At the same time, someone could do a beautiful volleyed pass putting it on a plate for a striker, but if that striker misses the open goal, the player who made the pass gets no credit.

Believe it or not there are stats to give credit to all players involved in the goal like you described above. It’s called xG Build Up and i’ll post the link below, but to honest, the definition mostly went over my head too!

https://statsbomb.com/2018/08/introducing-xgchain-and-xgbuildup/

Either way, what I hope is that AFCB’s Analytics and Stats team would look beyond basic ‘assist’ stats and let Eddie know who is passing to the assister and who is making the pass to the player passing to the assister.

£20m opening bid they've got to be joking. Why do the young home grown talent price premiums seem to apply to every club in the country except for us when prices are quoted?

Ryan isn’t home grown because Scotland is a different football association.

In any event the journalist has simply plucked a number out of the air.

Isn't the rule three years before they are 21 so as he signed for us when he was 18 wouldn't he count as homegrown in England?

I would imagine any valuation is going to be seriously impacted by the 12 months left on the contract. A club like Arsenal might let a players contract run down to get the value from having them as a player for one more year. We can't.

He was 18 years and 11 months when he joined us, so would not have completed three years before he was 21. Agree with you about contract length.

I fear that Ryan is having his head turned by Arsenal....

Did I see that he is flattered by their interest? Or was that not an actual quote? Either way....you couldn't blame him could you. Not sure what kind of fee we would be looking at with a year of his contract left. I would not begrudge any of our players a move to one of the regular big six clubs to be honest.

Reactions: drd
Did I see that he is flattered by their interest? Or was that not an actual quote? Either way....you couldn't blame him could you. Not sure what kind of fee we would be looking at with a year of his contract left. I would not begrudge any of our players a move to one of the regular big six clubs to be honest.
Depends if he wants to be a squad player at Arsenal rather than first choice here and if he just wants the chance to play for one of the "bigger " clubs with the riches that it brings. It's not a given that any of our top players would be successful for other clubs. Sometimes players are just a good fit for certain clubs and the way the team plays.

Depends if he wants to be a squad player at Arsenal rather than first choice here and if he just wants the chance to play for one of the "bigger " clubs with the riches that it brings. It's not a given that any of our top players would be successful for other clubs. Sometimes players are just a good fit for certain clubs and the way the team plays.

Bit like Eddie is as our manager ?

This is always used as an argument as to why players shouldn't leave but never as to why they shouldn't come here.

If you're a footballer who wants to get to the top you would probably back yourself to be a success not make glass half empty pessimistic career choices. Even if he fails he gets to console himself with 2/3 times the wages he's on here.

Assists are an odd thing to me. Whoever gave the ball to Maradonna in his own half for the ‘legal’ of his two goals in 86 v England and then watched him run 60 yards and beat eight players and a keeper gets an assist. Good work!

Arsenal players should crave coming to Dean Court.....

sorry but im a visionary way ahead of my time ...

but... oh those Tinpot days ...when we even talked Tinpot...openly tempted fate every day of the week...we wished a guy called Fraser on Arsenal...and oh yeah he went!

;