Thoughts on the match v Preston

Kris Temple said more than once he was fit and available and walking across the pitch before the match.

As Neil said above, if he was ill then it explains a lot. Doesn't quite tally with what KT said though.

Jesus HC. SP F’d up. WTF with the subs?

They had the measure of Christie and Solanke, unlike many teams before them, big up for that.

We seemed confused without the youngsters tonight. However, one cock up in 16? That ain’t half bad.

Massive battle v Swansea incoming…..

UTCIAD

utter nonsense to purely blame the manager
we lost because they were better than us individually all over the pitch, including Cahill and Christie, two of our best performers so far this season
we missed countless headers, tackles and 50/50s
Zemura's absence didn't help and Mepham at left back was a tough watch but it's easier to blame the manager I suppose
if we lose again on saturday your launderette will be taking a right hammering

the question is can we play Parkerball with a midweek game. Think the players looked knackered tonight compounded by lack of creativity, hence too slow to attack. Weird substitutions then cost us a point.

After seeing replay on Quest that PNE first goal was such a poor one to concede, so unlike the powerhouse Christie to slow up & not chase down the ball supplied from Maguire, allowing Barkhuizen to receive & cross the ball in masses of space… & without challenge by any Bmth player. Onward for Saturday then.

After seeing replay on Quest that PNE first goal was such a poor one to concede, so unlike the powerhouse Christie to slow up & not chase down the ball supplied from Maguire, allowing Barkhuizen to receive & cross the ball in masses of space… & without challenge by any Bmth player. Onward for Saturday then.
Christie was quite subdued tonight. Like a few players, maybe too many games played given the high work rate ?

Clearly general mood is depression tonight but the run was going to end at some point given how competitive the league is and, although defeat was harsh - a draw would have been fair - sometimes that happens. Key now is we get an up tempo performance vs swansea without JZ (SP confirmed he won’t play) and then get a decent rest.

I do think we may face similar tactics as Preston in the next 3 games so interesting to see how we respond.

Disappointing evening all round really. A particularly dull first half.

We definitely missed the speed and aggressive attacking of Anthony and Zemura down the left. I thought Lowe in particular, was rather slow and ponderous on the ball.

I agree with whoever said that Christie looked a bit knackered tonight. He still gave it 100%, but things just didn’t fall for him tonight.

I got really tired of seeing the ball pumped up to Solanke to try and win the air. It didn’t work all night, not helped by the lack of protection from the ref.

It just seemed to be one of those nights. It could easily have finished level, especially with Lowe’s miss, but PNE took their chances and we didn’t create enough really good ones.

As others have said, you can’t win every game, and with the massive work rate required to play SP’s system every match, perhaps the group as a whole were a little burnt out.

Hope we see a positive reaction to our first defeat, and get back on track against Swansea. Another tough game I would think.

Last edited:
Its quite worrying from a supporting angle...that the mere word Mepham can conjure up so much negativity..as did Gosling...and Surridge..and even Francis near his end with us.
I don't get it....Mepham regularly gets selected for Wales.
Our fans seem to select one individual and have an instant scapegoat on tap as soon as he figures in any line up...it doesnt happen with Rugby crowds.

PNE .scored 2..we only scored 1...THAT was the reason...you concede so you go up the other end and score..it all comes down to that. In every game on Earth you will have mistakes and circumstantial occurrences which swing things away from ' form '.
The job of a supporter ..is to support.
Whoever turns out v Swansea...must get encouragement assuming that the efforts of each player is unflagging.
We are not Manchester Utd 'fans' and must never be tempted to emulate their impatience!
No-one is blaming him.They are rightly blaming his being picked as a LB. It fucked us, and we all knew it before kick off.

Clearly general mood is depression tonight but the run was going to end at some point given how competitive the league is and, although defeat was harsh - a draw would have been fair - sometimes that happens. Key now is we get an up tempo performance vs swansea without JZ (SP confirmed he won’t play) and then get a decent rest.

I do think we may face similar tactics as Preston in the next 3 games so interesting to see how we respond.
Swansea won't play like Preston.....they will look to dominate possession....they recently clocked up 750 passes in one game!....we might have to play on the counter..

xG not released yet but I think it would cut very strongly in our favour. I can think of two opportunities in or around the 6 yard box you'd expect to score.

It's a statistical anomaly and I tend to go along with Parker's analysis that it wasn't the left back situation.

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=83798.0

They sound like Southampton fans, don't care about us and yet just that little too bit obsessive, willing Parker to fail.

Some well balanced responses there too. TBF I have always found them a nice club with decent fans.
Don't mind Fulham fans at all tbf.... might be nice to have a bit of a rivalry with a team that is half decent instead of Watford or Stoke.
Their apparent obsession with Parker is understandable tbf...... I'd imagine that there would be quite a few threads on JT if he was currently managing a team ahead of us in the league.....in fact I know there would be as I would've probably started most of them! :grinning:

xG not released yet but I think it would cut very strongly in our favour. I can think of two opportunities in or around the 6 yard box you'd expect to score.

It's a statistical anomaly and I tend to go along with Parker's analysis that it wasn't the left back situation.
That's ok then....for a minute I'd thought we'd lost.

;