Thoughts v Blackburn

anthony may have been ineffective yesterday for whatever reason, but to say he's not good enough? his performances, assists and goal counts this season have been fantastic haven't they?!

They have. But he just doesn't look like he knows what he's doing with the ball a lot of the time. Just my opinion, hopefully I'm wrong. It's not just this game he's been ineffective.

They have. But he just doesn't look like he knows what he's doing with the ball a lot of the time. Just my opinion, hopefully I'm wrong. It's not just this game he's been ineffective.

He just looked better with Zemura behind him. Even when Zemura was fit and Anthony was switched the right flank, it didn’t work. He’s still a competent option. I’d still pick him over Rogers etc, he just looks better when he has his partnership with Zemura.

If Anthony can only play if Zemura is in the same side I'm afraid he has no future in the game.
I don’t think it’s about Zemura it’s about having a regular left back partner who isn’t either a right back, a centre back, a midfielder filling in or a debutant. If he failed consistently with a decent left back that wasn’t Zemura behind him I’d agree with you. I just don’t think this is the case. He would have been fine with prime Charlie Daniels I bet.

Hi all,

Watching the highlights on Sky, and doing the xG timeline has been cathartic, as listening on the radio it was depressing.

Blackburn had the better of the chances, but in terms of 'biggish' (> 20%) then it was roughly equal with 3 to Blackburn 2 to us. The first such chance was the Van Hecke header and Brereton-Diaz follow-up that resulted in Pearson's own goal. It looked as though Cook and Cahill successfully played Van Hecke offside, but the camera angle didn't show if Pearson had dropped deeper to keep him onside. The whole passage of play was about 4 in 5. 8 mins later Christie had a good chance (3 in 5) although I wonder whether he would have been better hitting it earlier with his right foot. Even if the keeper hadn't had made the save the man on the line may well have cleared it. Just before half time Dom had a chance (1 in 4) that their keeper stood up well to. After what sounded like a bright spell for AFCB, Blackburn had a corner and Lenihan got the wrong side of Steve Cook, and stretching, headed it over (3 in 10). Marcondes who had made a good impact coming on, lost the ball and Brereton-Diaz was through, and looked likely to score (64%) but Travers produced a fine save. From the corner though, we were 2-0 with Van Hecke scoring a bullet of a header (5%). Sometimes you should just applaud the execution and the goal. After that, Blackburn shut up shop (somethign we've been struggling with of late) and saw the game out comfortably from the radio commentary, but the number of 'injuries' they picked up that miraculously improved after 30 seconds of treatment was getting me annoyed (we do it as well so no criticism of Blackburn, but maybe some of the officials). The counting from the crowd of how long their keeper took for a goal kick did make me smile though.

Blackburn H.JPG

Somehow, despite our blip, we can still go temporarily top if we win on Saturday and we could have a few players back. I'm not sure I like Parker's eye of the storm analogy, as that is where it all appears that the problem has gone until it all kicks off again. I doubt any AFCB fans share this view.

:utc:

Burnley in disguise played the ref well and stuck to their game plan

Afcb midfield was very poor both on and off the ball. Pearson too slow and negative, cook and christie wasteful in passing.
Brady needs to.play further forward.

Time to regroup and go again.

If Anthony can only play if Zemura is in the same side I'm afraid he has no future in the game.

That’s not quite what I meant. At the end of the day, he’s a winger, their form always dips and peaks. He’s 22 and before yesterday had scored 4 goals and claimed 1 assist in his last 5 appearances.

That’s not quite what I meant. At the end of the day, he’s a winger, their form always dips and peaks. He’s 22 and before yesterday had scored 4 goals and claimed 1 assist in his last 5 appearances.
Wasn't aimed at you DJ. Quite a few on here maintain that Anthony has struggled without Zemura.

Reactions: DJ
Is it just me, but the more I watch Ben Pearson the more I struggle to see what it is that he offers? He just runs around a bit making the occasional foul, and then when he gets the ball he always slows the momentum down and plays sideways and safe. Maybe it’s just in this set up that he looks ineffective as I thought he looked quite handy last season under Woodgate.

Anthony wasn't the problem yesterday. Kilkenny needs to start the next game in place of L Cook.
Definitely agree with this. Kilkenny has the ability to see his next pass before he receives the ball. Lewis Cook seemed quite ponderous yesterday, needed that extra couple of seconds and conceded possession a number of times. For me Kilkenny is an upgrade on Lewis at this moment in time.
We could do worse than go back to what was working a couple of months ago. Get Kelly back out there with Kilkenny and Billing, suddenly the partnerships are back and we look a bit more balanced.

Is it just me, but the more I watch Ben Pearson the more I struggle to see what it is that he offers? He just runs around a bit making the occasional foul, and then when he gets the ball he always slows the momentum down and plays sideways and safe. Maybe it’s just in this set up that he looks ineffective as I thought he looked quite handy last season under Woodgate.

You don’t seem to see what any of our players offer.

Depends what games you look at. When he came on at Reading at half time for Kilkenny he completely stopped Reading playing in the midfield. Did the same at Birmingham and one or two other away games. Personally I think he is an away game type of player and very often as an early sub. Horses for courses, if Lerma hadn't been suspended he wouldn't have played.

Depends what games you look at. When he came on at Reading at half time for Kilkenny he completely stopped Reading playing in the midfield. Did the same at Birmingham and one or two other away games. Personally I think he is an away game type of player and very often as an early sub. Horses for courses, if Lerma hadn't been suspended he wouldn't have played.
He definitely did a great job at Stoke. Their supporters were absolutely purring about him saying that he's a complete sh#thouse but exactly what they are lacking.

Poorest performance so far this season. I thought Mowbray out-smarted Scott today in this one. Blackburn figured us out and knew exactly how to hurt us. We always do seem to struggle against bigger outfits like Rovers. Anthony was crap as was Christie. I think it's quite worrying how predictable we are at the moment.
I think we’ve been predictable for a few years now, latterly under Eddie and subsequently since he left. Infrequently there’s a plan B and rarely, if ever, there’s been a plan C so I imagine it’s fairly easy to suss us out.

We are actually quite easy to play against. High press our defence , drop deep when defending with two banks of 5. Allow our centre halves all the time on the ball they want, close down our central midfielders, stop the supply to our wingers and creative players, close us down quickly when in possession forcing us backwards, stop any form of supply to Solanke and he won't score. If the opposition are fit enough , work hard enough and follow their instructions then we're easy to play against.

Reading this thread (and a couple of others) we have only two or three players good enough to play in the top half of the Championship (one currently injured) and tactically we are rubbish.

I still don't get how we can possibly be second under these circumstances.

It's like most of our "supporters" are like the bloke stood next to me at Fulham. Drawing 0-0 at half time away against the clear favourites to win the league and you'd think we were 5-0 down against the worst team in the world, such was the moaning...

Eddie used to say that good teams are all about good partnerships all around the pitch. You think of Daniels and Pugh as a prime example.

We have had a fantastic start to the season results wise and have often complimented the partnerships built up in the current side too. The very fruitful Zemura and Anthony partnership as a current example.

In this latest poor run of results a lot of these partnerships have been broken. Some by injury and suspension, and others by players being moved out of position to act as cover for those missing.

I hasten to add that I haven’t fact checked any of this, but it was just what I was thinking at the game yesterday.

Zemura and Anthony - Zemura was missing. Kelly and Cahill - Kelly was missing. Christie and Stacy - Christie was played in the middle. Billing and Solanke - Billing was missing. Kilkenny and L Cook - Kilkenny was missing.

I just wonder if all this disruption to our partnerships is the cause of our current slump.

;